“Very Poor”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 27 September 2007

I must agree with some of the previous reports. The hotel is in a fantastic location and it is a grand building - the lounge and hallway are really worth seeing.
However, the room was very small and decor drab. The advertised coffee making facilities were not there. So we had to ask at reception, who were not too helpfull. Eventually the coffee making facilties did arrive, but we had problems finding a power point.
During our tour of Canada, this was the most expensive hotel, but the service and room were probably the worst. I agree that the staff seemed to be too young and did not appear to care. There were instances such as a vacuum cleamer left outside our room and poor service at the bar.
One redeeming feature was we had booked bed and breakfast, and the breakfast was the best of our holiday.
I will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank babarks
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 26 September 2007

My husband booked the Deer Lodge as a surprise for our 12th anniversary. He called the hotel directly and confirmed a "Tower room" with queen bed, hardwood floors and in-room coffee maker. On arrival we were told that the tower rooms were over-booked and they would like to offer us a "Superior Triple" room on a complimentary basis, to make up for the error. Sounded good, and having driven thru the town-site we knew that most other hotels were sold out so didn't think we had much choice but to accept.

Walking to the room we were charmed to see the original woodwork, you could just feel the history and appreciate how old the resort is. However, the term "superior" begs the question..."superior to WHAT?". Our room was terribly small, a bit shabby, and over-filled with mis-matched furniture. There was a double and a single bed (handy for the suitcase I guess?). Instead of hardwood floors, we had filthy carpet. The bathroom was ancient and although it had a clawfoot tub, it was a bit dingy and I didn't want to bathe in it. There was a telescopic shower but the handle was grubby. There was no coffee-maker or telephone in the room (not that we needed the phone). It was a main floor room and starting at about 7a we were woken by the sound of roller-suitcases being pulled along the brick path-way seemingly right outside our (closed!) window.

The employees were for the most part friendly, but the hotel (like everywhere in southern Alberta) seemed desperately short of staff. The room was reasonably clean (except the carpet) and the bedding was good quality. The roof-top hot tub was excellent, not too hot, not overly chlorinated, a spectacular view of the stars and mountains. The locker room however had a disconcerting smell of cat litter-box.

We had a drink in the lounge but were disappointed when we received the bill...my glass of wine was $13 and having just walked back from a $10 glass at the Chateau Lake Louise thought this was a bit exorbitant. Breakfast was OK, my omelet was quite over-done and rubbery but we waited so long for food I didn't want to send it back.

I'm not sure what the rate is on the "superior" rooms but I'm sure they're not cheap (our tower room was about $275/nt). The location is exquisite and that's probably what the rates are based on rather than room quality. If you go with that in mind you probably won't be disappointed and it's within walking distance to the lake.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jewelsmum
Reviewed 14 September 2007

I have to say that Deer Lodge was an ideal retreat to stay in for a few nights, away from all the hustle and bustle of Banff. I am shocked by other reviews as we found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. As we were on our honeymoon, chocolates and a card were left in the room by the staff for us which was a lovely touch. We had a lovely, cosy room with a balcony overlooking the road . This road was not very busy, but we came in April which was quiet season for Canada.The room did not have a TV or stereo and this was a welcome change and peaceful. We had bath salts and the bath was great and deep, perfect for lounging in after a long walk in the snow around the lake.
This hotel is not ideal for all as it is quiet and authentically rustic. It provides a quiet retreat from the chateaux which looked so busy and hectic when we were up by the lake we did not even bother to look around!!!
The food in the restaurant was expensive, but of very high quality and very different combinations of flavours. I recommend the game platter. I do agree with another reviewer that when busy, service does suffer and after complaining we were given free shots of ice wine-that warms your cockles!!!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank h_harcus
Reviewed 13 September 2007

Having received some gift certificates we had originally planned to stay two nights, but thankfully our plans changed...one night was about all we could handle. The lodge is indeed 'quaint and rustic,' but that ceases to become a draw when a gaggle of unprofessional staff tarnish the potential image.

We had not even reached our room before being treated to a trio of kitchen workers sitting adjacent to the walkway to the lodge entrance smoking. In the hallway a service door was jammed open with two maintenance workers loudly discussing their 'party' plans for the weekend. The best was when I went into the lounge to get a drink to sit by the fire with. As I waited for the staffer to tap my beer at the bar I was treated to another kitchen worker, covered in grease, who came into the lounge, plunked himself down at the bar with me and ordered up a virgin ceasar!

Perhaps this should not come as a surprise as most of the staff seemed quite young. I didn't see anyone that struck me as a 'management' type the entire time we were there.

The room was small, awkwardly designed, spartan in furnishing and lacking a TV. The floors creaked and the pipes clanged, both of which made getting a restful sleep difficult.

The food in the dinning room was expensive, and aside from a wild game appetizer (which granted was very good) was extremely average fair.

In our opinion, extremely overpriced and unprofessionally run. We would not stay there again.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank jwalker13
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Just got back from 10 days in the wonderful Canadian Rockies. The first 4 nights we stayed at Deer Lodge.

First the good: Location, location, location. It's a 5-minute walk to the lake, and a 10-minute drive to the village of Lake Louise. There is a rushing stream across the road which, if you are on that side of the hotel, will lull you to sleep.

And the bad: All of the recent bad reviews here are unfortunately spot on. The staff's average age seems to be 19, with no adult management to be found. Our simple requests were often met with blank stares or surliness. The room was extremely dusty, to the point where my wife became allergic near the end of the stay. The toilet backed up a few times, and reception didn't seem to care.

We only ate in the more casual lounge one night, and the food was decent.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank owgriswo
Reviewed 27 August 2007

The good news: no need to look for a parking slot whilst visiting the Lake. The bad news: the hotel itself.
We booked the hotel via internet 2 month upfront for two nights. As it is located right behind the Fairmont it is completely overpriced (more than 600CAD for two nights during the week)! We booked the b&b package and got a "deluxe tower room". Incredible small, no television, windows to the outlets of the hotel aircondition, no view, no balcony, no room aircondition. The room was directly located behind the wooden stairs which crunched by each step). Absolute dissapointing! Hard to sleep!
Although not directly pointing to the road is was more than noisy. The bed was incredible small and loun! The mattress was more a hammock than a place for comftable sleeping (including a thick and heavy bed coverlet).
Arriving from a hiking tour at 4pm the room wasn't cleaned! The unfriendly staff answered that they havent found the time yet... (we left at 8am and gave them a clear indication at the door!).
Dinner was extremly expensive compared to all other during our three weeks tour (but it looks quite good and tasted very well).

If we ever will visit Lake Louise, I strongly would recommend to stay in Banff. Although also expensive, you will definitely get more for your money, you have a wider selection range and it takes just an half hour driving to Lake Louise.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank kehle
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I can only rave about this charming, small hotel. Lake Louise is really a town on two levels--a small town center below and (a couple of miles uphill from there) the lake itself and its famous neighbor, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise Hotel. Deer Lodge is the only other hotel near the lake--within walking distance, in fact--but it's an oasis of calm compared to the "chateau," which sees tour bus arrivals all day long. Deer Lodge's older wing dates to the 1920s and I usually prefer older hotels, but in this case I suggest asking for a room in the newer wing (rooms with two-digit numbers). From what we could see, these are much larger and more comfortable and worth the premium, plus many come with a balcony. Our room was beautifully and recently decorated, with an unusually comfortable king-size bed, lots of closet space, and a spotless bathroom. The staff were friendly and accommodating throughout, and the dining room--when not extremely busy--prepares some unexpectedly outstanding dishes. (When it is busy, however, the restaurant earns the only "ding" I can provide--service can slow to a crawl, which may tax the patience of more demanding guests.) We also appreciated the spacious and quiet lobby and the guest laundry, which came in handy since we were here on a lull in the middle of a long-distance bicycle trip. There's also a pleasant billiard room with an Internet terminal for guests. I can't really imagine a more relaxing or comfortable hotel, especially in a world–famous resort town that sees a lot of visitors in the summer. It's a nice base, also, for explorations around the vicinity of Lake Louise, which is just one among many beautiful high-altitude lakes in this region. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2007
Emerald Lake Lodge
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!