“Great location, good service but ... a step back in time.”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
SE London
“Great location, good service but ... a step back in time.”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

No TV, no minibar, no fridge, no a/c are the downsides. The upside is that it's the best option to be close to Lake Louise without costing an arm and a leg. Can't fault them on the service and the room was clean, spacious, warm with a comfortable bed.

The Restaurant has a great mountain view but the food was a tiny bit disappointing - the salmon I chose was just a tad overcooked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank captainfantastic42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Old and over priced for what you get. No TV, no AC, no phone, no fridge. It was clean and the bed was excellent. Great veiw of the mountains and close to the lake. Resturant was expensive even for the area. Likely will check other spots out before I stay here again. Nice hot tub and had a great veiw.

• Stayed July 2013
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Yes, you can see the downsides to this hotel - it doesn't have the bright lights and all-singing, all-dancing mod-cons of many modern complexes, but I thought that just added to its charm. It certainly wouldn't suit everyone, particularly as there is no elevator, which was hard work with suitcases when our room was on the top floor! There are a lot of narrow corridors with wood flooring, and when we had a power cut, it felt like we were in the middle of an Agatha Christie novel. Personally, I loved the history of the Deer Lodge and indeed the whole area, but it probably wouldn't be an ideal accommodation for those with younger children, or anyone with mobility issues. Apart from that, the location is fantastic, the restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and both the food and the service were very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank YJ A
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The Deer Lodge was the worst place I've ever stayed. It is very old, but that is not what really bothered me. It seemed that the staff simply did not make any effort or use common sense when it comes to accommodating their guests. I booked a room for two adults and one nine-year old child. We were given a room with a twin bed against the wall and about five feet of space between the bed and the other wall. There was no place to put our luggage and no place for my child to sleep. I asked for a different room and they provided me with a larger one with a twin bed. I do not understand why that was not offered to me in the first place. There were only two sets of towels for the three of us, so I asked for additional towels, a fold-out bed for my child, and pillows. After not receiving any of the items requested I made a second request and was told that the fold-out bed was already in the room, but it wasn't. When we finally received the bed, we still did not get the towels and pillows after three hours and I finally sent my husband to make the request.
The hotel was in poor condition. Even though it was old, management could have chosen to fix the place so that the doors do not have cracks in them and the place was not so dark and dim. I did not allow my child to shower because the water temperature changed from normal to burning hot to icy cold when other guests used water. I could not wait to checkout of the place and of course did not enjoy my stay. It was very sad to encounter such circumstances on vacation to such a beautiful place.

Room Tip: Be assertive, ask for a bigger room if you get a tiny one. The staff seems to respond more positive...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kuangyong
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. I do apologize for the issues you had while staying with us, the level of service you describe certainly does not meet the standards we strive for. I have passed your comments onto our front desk department; we do appreciate you taking the time to let us know of these issues.
If you would like to speak to someone further regarding your stay, you can contact dlmanager@crmr.com
Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Granted, it's pretty, and it's close to the lake. So if you plan to walk to the lake later in the day and be a part of the shoulder-o-shoulder hordes that crowd the lake and the trails, save your money and arrive before 9am and have nearly unobstructed views and full access to the peace and quiet of the trails. OK - here it goes. One: Parking is a joke. No lines are painted, and people park willy nilly, making it difficult if not impossible to find a spot. I helped another frustrated traveler drag a potted plant away from the entrance to make a spot for his car. Two: I am a solo traveler and the room is small. There is really no place to put anything and still be able to walk. With two people, one would have to sit on the bed for the other to pass. Three: the plug sockets are not grounded, which means your three-hole plugs don't work. I was told at reception that the hotel had two adapters (two adapters for three floors of rooms!!!) and both were "in use". Two requests for extension cords went unanswered. Curiously, the hallways had grounded plugs, so I ended up moving my desk into the hall so that I could do my work on my laptop and charge my camera batteries. Four: there is a "scald" warning about the water temp. SCALD. Apparently, if someone suddenly runs cold water while you are using the hot water, you can be scalded. I took a photo of the sign, and will send on request. My advice: save your money, stay somewhere else, and arrive early at the lake. Sunrise is absolutely lovely. There will be fewer people on the trails, and with the money you save, you can afford the high prices typical of this area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank johnyytraveler
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We spent one night here and enjoyed our stay. It is only a five minute walk to the Lake and the chateau. The only negative was that there is no elevator so we had to carry heavy suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Yes. It is old. It has basic bedding, old plumbing, and no TV's in the rooms. You have to appreciate the fact that this is an old lodge. That is the charm of the place. The setting is awesome. It is a short walk to Lake Louise. The dining room served wonderful food. The staff was very friendly. If you are looking for modern amenities move on down the road. If you are looking for an experience, this is a must.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spaldydog
Thank you for sharing you comments on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the atmosphere the hotel provides. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warmest Regards,