“Deer Lodge”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
London, United Kingdom
“Deer Lodge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Our stay at the hotel was very much marred by an incident which I believe could have been prevented with adequate warning signs. I was walking quickly, but not abnormally so, across the 'Lady Agnes' room when I fell heavily on my face - so much so that at first I feared that I'd broken my nose and lost my dental crowns. I sustained cuts and grazes to my nose and lips, and also hurt my shoulder. I realised that there was a step in the middle of the room. The staff on duty that evening, Eva Rochette and server, John, were very kind and did their best to help me. We found out later that this was not the first incident involving this step, and next morning we witnessed another guest almost fall over it. We learned that the attitude of the hotel Management seemed to be that, far from putting warning signs in place, or a temporary fix - such as a plank to act as a ramp - they would leave it as it is, until fitting the handrail they had been planning to install for some time; otherwise they would be admitting liability. I was relieved not to have sustained any permanent damage, in particular that my newly replaced dental crowns were intact, so played down the incident, managing to eat my entree, with difficulty. My husband had consumed his main coures alone while I was receiving first-aid, at the time not knowing the degree of my injuries or what the consequences would be. However, I'm afraid it left a bitter taste in my mouth, when checking our paperwork, to see that, ironically, our dinner there was by far the most expensive of all our evening meals throughout our 3-week long holiday, with us paying a full charge as if nothing had gone wrong.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra R
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager: dlmanager@crmr.com

Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have just left Deer Lodge and although the hotel is a bit dark and dingy, our two night stay was quite pleasant. We really liked the Art Deco lights in the lounge areas. The staff were friendly and helpful and a nice young man hauled our bags up to the third floor. The food was very good although the meals are rather large; some smaller meals should be on offer. The hotel is very close to Lake Louise and it was pleasant to have a rest from big towns. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dbryabi
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our overnight accommodations and took advantage of dining in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warmest Regards,
Lodge Manager
Lyndhurst
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

If you stay here and don't expect a historic building, with all the quirks, then you at too optimistic! It's not that sound proof and the decor is authentic, the heating is very efficient, but the windows open. On the plus side we got rooms that were the cheapest in lake Louise aside from the youth hostel - which is lovely but my in-laws wouldn't stay there. The staff at Deer Lodge were really helpful with the things they could fix, but some things are beyond their control. If you go expecting a top of the line modern motel you will be disappointed, if you expect a clean, well located hotel with an interesting history and no TV then it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank S F W
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I wonder where they found the fifties era wood grain contact paper which covers the bottom half of the hallway walls? It complements the brown paint,muddy colored carpet and old light fixtures which insure a trip down the hall feels like a walk through a cave. The stairway is enhanced by lengths of fire house looping down through the stairwell. Our room was tiny, dark, stuffy, and furnished by what appeared to be castoffs from a thrift store. The bathroom door cleared the toilet by a scant inch. The light fixture over the bed was jury rigged into the ceiling hanging by a cord. In order to avoid being scalded in the bath, you might want to soak in the hot tub, just be aware the jets do not function. Thankfully, the bartenders mix a good martini to help ease the unpleasantness, and the staff will cheerfully haul your luggage up the stairs.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

Cochranville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The most awful place I have ever stayed! Our room was tiny, no carpet, no air, scalding or freezing water, no bed tables, nowhere to put your luggage, and a broken safe. Our view was a hideous rooftop and for all this we paid $289 per night!!!! They should be ashamed of themselves. I don't care how close to the lake it is, it's not worth the price. We stayed in a wonderful resort in Victoria, B.C. for $100 less with a room three times the size, a pool, spa, huge bathroom, lovely lobby and helpful, caring staff. Avoid Deer Lodge at all cost!!!! Our grown daughter traveled with us and her room was the same, only she had a view. What a bad experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hillarystewie12
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We (2 couples) stayed at Deer Lodge for the night of 18-19 August during our holiday in Canada.

This is the Hotel closest to Lake Louise apart from the $500 a day Chateau Fairmont. The Lake is barely a 5 minute walk and you pay a lot less! The Lodge is really a throwback to a 100 years ago but with subtle modern innovations that are tucked away. We had rooms on 3F; a fair hike up steep stairs. If you have luggage, better avoid the upper floor although staff help you to carry it up. The rooms we had were very small but neat, clean and comfortable. Bigger room choices are available. I don't believe there are rooms with a clear Lake view but you can ask.

From the outside, the place is a beauty specially in such glorious surroundings although overshadowed by the huge Chateau next door. The staff were helpful. The food was not too tasty - we had the daily soup for dinner and it was quite flat. There are variety of sitting rooms, including a great bar, all in pretty good shape with a couple of pianos thrown in.

There is erratic free Wifi available but there is a separate internet kiosk in the lobby for free. Car parking is free with ample space. Meals are available at the Lodge although you can splurge at the Chateau if you wish. The wooden structure creaks all around but therein lies the charm of this very old home that has been lovingly maintained.

Would I stay there again? Definitely.

Room Tip: Avoid upper floors. Steep stairs!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abhibasu
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. We are glad you enjoyed you stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warmest Regards,
Lodge Manager
SE London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

No TV, no minibar, no fridge, no a/c are the downsides. The upside is that it's the best option to be close to Lake Louise without costing an arm and a leg. Can't fault them on the service and the room was clean, spacious, warm with a comfortable bed.

The Restaurant has a great mountain view but the food was a tiny bit disappointing - the salmon I chose was just a tad overcooked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple