“Go for a "superior room"”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Deer Lodge is old. That is part of the charm, but like other park hotels of the era, it is dark and has lots of character. Some may find it less desirable than say, The Fairmont, but you are not paying $500 a night. The superior rooms are actually large and while they still do not have a modern feel, they are clean and comfortable, although the beds seem to be doubles rather than queens. Not fancy, but you are closer to nature.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here in mid-June, just before the prime tourist season starts. Deer Lodge is not a fancy new hotel with all the latest gadgets and amenities, but a lovely getaway from a the technology heavy day to day.
We had a superior room on the third floor. It was more than big enough for the two of us with plenty of floor space. The bathroom may be tiny, but it is functional. There is no tv, but if you can't step away from that for a weekend and spend the time doing something without technology, or (gasp!) visiting with the people you are with, this is not the place for you. There is free-wifi so you can use the internet if you must. We heard the other guests to the same degree as in any other hotel we have stayed in.
The staff was helpful to us and unobtrusive.
The location is great as it is down the road from the larger and busier (and tourist filled) Fairmont property. It is an easy walk to the lake and nice and peaceful.
Go and enjoy the rooftop hot tub with an excellent view of the mountains and visit with the fellow guests. The hot tub by far was one of the loveliest things about our weekend getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LB1982
Reviewed 28 August 2013

What a disappointment. The room was very small and the bed, was only 120 cm; for two persons! We thought they had made a mistake and given us a single room, but unfortunately not. The bathroom was very small and had no ventilation. But the worst thing: we could hear every footstep and every word of our neighbours next door, including snoring. We paid almost 150 euro's a night. Far too much. On the positive side: the shower was warm (good water pressure) and the front desk agents were helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel was a little oasis on a road trip in Canada. Having seen the reviews on Trip Advisor about the size of the rooms, we decided to upgrade to one of the larger, superior rooms and I'm really glad we did. When some of the regular rooms were being cleaned as we were walking through the hotel I glanced through the open doors and they looked very small in comparison.
The room we stayed in had two double beds and a balcony - it was clean, comfortable and quiet.
This hotel is not a super modern, light, bright airy place (like the more expensive Chateau down the road). It is a little rickety and dark and if you're staying on one of the higher floors, be prepared to lug your suitcase up the stairs - we chose to do this ourselves, however the staff are very helpful and friendly and I'm sure would offer some assistance. However, it does have a lot of charm and I loved not having a TV in the room. It rained on one of the nights we stayed and was cool outside, so sitting in the lounge with a beer next to the fire was a lovely way to spend an evening, especially after a tiring day out and about hiking.
The other great thing about this hotel is that Lake Louise is just a short walk away and Moraine Lake a short drive away, so it's in a great location.
The food is very good - we had an evening meal and breakfast. The evening meal was delicious (if a little expensive) and the portion size was good. The breakfast is also good and quite reasonably priced.
I really enjoyed my stay at the Deer Lodge and its charm, I would be very happy to stay here again (but only in one of the larger rooms!).

Room Tip: Book a larger, superior room as the regular rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Our stay at the hotel was very much marred by an incident which I believe could have been prevented with adequate warning signs. I was walking quickly, but not abnormally so, across the 'Lady Agnes' room when I fell heavily on my face - so much so that at first I feared that I'd broken my nose and lost my dental crowns. I sustained cuts and grazes to my nose and lips, and also hurt my shoulder. I realised that there was a step in the middle of the room. The staff on duty that evening, Eva Rochette and server, John, were very kind and did their best to help me. We found out later that this was not the first incident involving this step, and next morning we witnessed another guest almost fall over it. We learned that the attitude of the hotel Management seemed to be that, far from putting warning signs in place, or a temporary fix - such as a plank to act as a ramp - they would leave it as it is, until fitting the handrail they had been planning to install for some time; otherwise they would be admitting liability. I was relieved not to have sustained any permanent damage, in particular that my newly replaced dental crowns were intact, so played down the incident, managing to eat my entree, with difficulty. My husband had consumed his main coures alone while I was receiving first-aid, at the time not knowing the degree of my injuries or what the consequences would be. However, I'm afraid it left a bitter taste in my mouth, when checking our paperwork, to see that, ironically, our dinner there was by far the most expensive of all our evening meals throughout our 3-week long holiday, with us paying a full charge as if nothing had gone wrong.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra R
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager: dlmanager@crmr.com

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have just left Deer Lodge and although the hotel is a bit dark and dingy, our two night stay was quite pleasant. We really liked the Art Deco lights in the lounge areas. The staff were friendly and helpful and a nice young man hauled our bags up to the third floor. The food was very good although the meals are rather large; some smaller meals should be on offer. The hotel is very close to Lake Louise and it was pleasant to have a rest from big towns. I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dbryabi

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our overnight accommodations and took advantage of dining in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warmest Regards,
Lodge Manager
Deer Lodge

Reviewed 22 August 2013

If you stay here and don't expect a historic building, with all the quirks, then you at too optimistic! It's not that sound proof and the decor is authentic, the heating is very efficient, but the windows open. On the plus side we got rooms that were the cheapest in lake Louise aside from the youth hostel - which is lovely but my in-laws wouldn't stay there. The staff at Deer Lodge were really helpful with the things they could fix, but some things are beyond their control. If you go expecting a top of the line modern motel you will be disappointed, if you expect a clean, well located hotel with an interesting history and no TV then it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 10 in Lake Louise
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
#5 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!