“an enjoyable stay”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
England
“an enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I have to say I was a little nervous about our 2 night stay here in Aug 08 after reading some of the recent reviews. However these fears proved to be unfounded and we had a very enjoyable stay. We were in a Heritage Room with 2 Queen beds and balcony and there was plenty of room. I had the best 2 nights sleep of my holiday here. The bathroom was in line for a bit of refurbishment though. I did catch glimpse of a room in another section of the Lodge which looked very small indeed so my advice would be to book a Heritage Room. Some of the decor is a bit on the dark side but the Lodge does not claim to be a newly built hotel, it's quite an old property - surely that is part of its charm. The quality of the food was excellent and very well presented. The serving staff were also pleasant and friendly. There was a large lounge with fire where you could sit with a drink at night. There was also complimentary tea and coffee each morning in the Agnes Room. As the Lodge web site states 'no TV's', don't be surprised when your room doesn't have one! There was a TV down in the games room along with free internet access. The location of the Lodge is excellent, being 5 mins walk away from Lake Louise, with plenty of opportunities for walking/hiking. Reading some of the previous reviews it's hard to imagine we were staying at the same place.

• Liked — location, food
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank PippyDippy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
mission
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Hello,

I am here at the Deer Lodge using the computer for complimentary internet, which is the only redeeming factor for the deer lodge hotel.

The downsides...

The hotel rooms are rather tiny. You feel like you are in a prison in transelvania. If you have seen the movie hostel you might get a good idea for what to expect.

On a good note the hotel is close to Lake Louise... except the canoeing is more expensive than the other lake that is nearby.

We also suggest to everyone to bring thier own towels and shampoo. They also dont specialize in making beds properly.

Note: No Television or hair dryer.

There is a complimentary safe in every room as you need it because the windows are broken.

• Liked — free internet access
  • Disliked — small rooms, no tv, no hauir dryer, broken windows
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank omegafx
CRMRMarketing, Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 20 August 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regards to your stay at Deer Lodge. Your feedback is important to us and we do take comments such as yours very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the above concerns.
Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

boris64
Reviewed 30 July 2008

I stayed here in June . I must say that it was below par to other hotels I stayed in through out my trip in Canada.

1. Rooms need to be brighten up & refurnished. The room I had was average size. Hearing other guest speak sounds like there rooms where the size of a match box.

2. No tea or coffee in the morning. Asked morning staff who did not care and really looked as they did not want to be there. Management need to take action ie, fire some people.

3. Bar staff not very friendly. I doubt if the bill actually went through the till. As I never received a receipt but the money went straight into his pocket. Hmmm management again should look at there staff.

4. Some staff clearly did not want to be there. Smelt of smoke & alcohol. Again management need to have a clear word on how staff should present themselves.

5. I ate in the dinner room for one night and I can clearly say I think the head chef may need to look at how the meal is presented on the plate. Looked as though it had just been thrown together with out any thought going into the meal.

Plus side some staff where trying to be helpful but there is a serious lack of knowledge in the area.

Overall management (if there is any) needs to take action as the hotel is in a excellent location but needs to be refurnished & staff spoken to on presentation.
Shame that such a nice area can be spoiled by such a run down lodge.

• Liked — The amusement of the lack of management and how bad people can presenet themselves in a service industry.
  • Disliked — The whole place!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boris64
CRMRMarketing, Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 11 August 2008
Thank you for your response. We take comments such as these very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager
dlmanager@crmr.com
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We stayed at Deer Lodge for two wonderful nights. I love historic lodges and this one didn't disappoint us. At the Park Information center we were given directions to the lodge with the comment that every time there was a section added to the hotel it was done with different materials so she said the decor was different but "very cool." The landscaping and flowers were exceptional and the view of the glacier from our room was worth capturing on film.
The common areas in the lodge were awesome. The fireplace lounge gave us a great place for reading; the free coffee in the adjoining room at breakfast had tables where people planned hikes and played board games. We used the free internet to contact relatives, the only "free" internet hookup we encountered on our trip. People used the internet for the suggested fifteen minutes and while we waiting for one person to use the computer we amused ourselves by playing pool and reading the newspaper provided by the lodge.
We ate dinner at the lodge one evening. The night before we ate in Lake Louise at the restaurant that was the most reasonable in town. We chose the informal Deer Lodge restaurant and it was the same price range as the simple restaurant in town. You can't avoid expensive meals in the park unless you bring your own supplies from Calgary, which we did for a few meals.
I expect 1920's vintage lodging to have beautiful woodwork, old-style decor, and creaking floors when you walk down the hall. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spotless. There was a warning about the water turning hot when someone flushes a toilet or runs water so we kept the shower water cooler. With that warning I was able to hop out when a neighbor flushed, which is one thing I think should be fixed by the hotel management.
I don't usually care for hot tubs, but the Deer Lodge hot tub is not to be missed. What a view! And what a location--a short walk from Lake Louise. There's no need to move your car.
Most modern hotels are identical to each other. This was unique, memorable, and the staff was very helpful. We were advised to go to Moraine Lake, a wonderful suggestion.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone. For the area, the room was actually reasonable!

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank Lynne33
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I liked Deer Lodge, it had a hot tub and the rooms were nice,clean and rustic. The TV/internet room closes at 11, which is too bad, cause there isnt anything to do in this place. Also, there is only 1 computer! I went to the bar, but there was no one there so, I cant say much about that. The food at breakfast was good, but it was a little pricey for what they had. Scenery and nature everywhere, so plenty to see during the day. I would say this is a perfect hotel for a couple who doesn't like very much activity.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Lack of activity
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank brokenarm22
Denver
Reviewed 24 July 2008

This hotel tries to ride the line between historic and just plain old unsuccessfully. The aged mechanical systems make water scalding hot and unpredicitable. You hear every step, door and voice. Our toilet stopped working during our stay.

Beautiful location, semi-tasteful decorations (the bathrooms were lacking), walking distance to Fairmont on Lake Louise, staff friendly but not particularly knowledgable.

• Liked — Proximity to Lake Louise
  • Disliked — Quality of hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
CRMRMarketing, Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2008
On behalf of all of us a Deer Lodge, we want to express our wholehearted gratitude to you for taking the time to post your thoughts and comments regarding your Deer Lodge experience. We sincerely apologize for the conditions you experienced during your stay. We do take any experience such as this very seriously, it is important to us so that we can continue to take the appropriate steps in heightening the guest experience, which is our highest priority.

As General Manager of Deer Lodge , I’m here to be of assistance so please feel free to email me personally at dlmanager@crmr.com.
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed here for just one night (every other hotel in Lake Louise was fully booked - didn't try the 2 5star ones though as they were out of budget!)
We were given the smallest room I have ever stayed in - not even room to swing a cat! All the room contained was a bed and 2 bedside cabinets and a dresser. We had to sit on the bed as there was not even a chair. We couldn't even open the suitcases as there was no room! This for the bargain price of #200,00!!
The hotel itself was a charming 1920's building and was very close to Lake Louise itself, it was a bit like a rabbit warren inside with lots of corridors and rooms.

• Liked — Proximity to Lake Louise
  • Disliked — Very small room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
CRMRMarketing, Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2008

Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. My team and I take great care in reading all of the surveys and I noted that you were disappointed with the condition of your room. Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this caused you. Please feel free to contact me directly at dlmanager@crmr.com. I would like to take the opportunity to personally discuss this issue with you in greater detail.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Louise
#2 of 10 in Lake Louise
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!