“A white Christmas”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent this Christmas snowboarding in lake louise and banff. We spent our first week over Christmas in deer lodge. It's an ideal location, just 5 minutes walk from the lake and 5 minutes drive to the ski area. It's a traditional wooden lodge- the old part of the lodge is a bit tired looking to be honest and has a slight smell of an old peoples home minus the wee. The owners really should replace the carpets which are the main problem. We stayed in the newer addition to the lodge and we couldn't in anyway fault our room or this part of the lodge. The communal areas, the sitting room especially, were lovely with a huge open fire, comfy sofas and a great big Christmas tree. Food was average and a bit expensive (but so was everywhere) but the breakfasts were certainly filling and a good start to a days boarding. Amazing views, especially from the hot tub on the roof. Really nice staff. If you want to stay somewhere big and flash and a bit soulless the chateau is a minute up the road but if you want something smaller, quieter and with character we'd thoroughly recommend deer lodge.

Room Tip: Go for the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank james w
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the lodge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here while at work conference, which was being held at the Chateau nearby. To start with the pluses: it's a 5minute walk to Lake Louise/Lake Louise Chateau. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is clean, rooms are relatively well kept, and the location is quiet and peaceful with plenty of hiking, and natural beauty. The hotel itself is charming and rustic, great for a serene time away if you want to escape the city lifestyle.

This hotel is old and that should be kept in mind when booking. Though I knew this, the first night I spent there my room was hot enough to melt the fresh ice in my cooler. I told reception this, but there is no in-room temperature control: my windows were painted shut. I didn't end up sleeping more than a couple of hours the night I arrived, leading to a tough work day ahead. They did try to fix this, but nothing seemed to change, and the temperature in my room was very high (it was -5oC outside, so that was not a contributor). I also found due to the age of the hotel that you can hear everything that happens in any rooms adjoining: next door and above. This can make for a restless sleep.

There are no electronics in the room save an alarm clock, and few plug ins. Normally in this landscape that is a good thing, but not for a business trip. Standard rooms have no desk, and are very small, which was fine as it was just me travelling. Still, charging phones, laptops, etc. was a challenge.

Next year I will make sure to book early and get a room in the Chateau before they book up, otherwise I will find a hotel near the townsite rather than stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing. You may pay a bit more, but you will sleep better!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank ChoicesAddUp
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We have stayed at Deer Lodge many times and the most recent stay was to celebrate our honeymoon there 25 years ago. It is located at Lake Louise a very short walk from the Lake the the Chateau. The Rooms are basic and small but that is not a problem as the Hotel's lobby with its fantastic fireplace and beautiful couches and chairs are meant to be enjoyed by the guests. The hot tub on the roof is fantastic, especially when its snowing! The restaurant is terrific with a tasty wild game menu and good service. HOWEVER, the cleanliness of the hotel is inconsistent. During our last stay, in early January, the bathroom floor and tub were full of long, dark hair. In the evening when we asked to have the bathroom cleaned the front desk attendant said we would have to wait until 11 pm for housecleaning - very late. After a second discussion, she grudgingly vacuumed the room. We also don't think the duvet cover was changed as it smelled of other people. So, even though we like the hotel, I will think twice about going back.

Room Tip: Try to get one where the headboard of the adjoining room don't abut as the walls are thin.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CanadaRover

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay at Buffalo Mountain Lodge and congratulations on your 25th anniversary! We apologize for the issues you had regarding the cleanliness of your room and this is certainly not the standard we strive for. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The rooms are nice. The hotel restaurant is nice. Down side is no elevator which makes it difficult when your room is on the third floor with luggage. No tv or bar fridge in rooms but they have free wifi. Walking distance to the lovely Fairmount Chateau lake Louise which has many restaurants to pick from. And you can take the free shuttle from the Chateau up the ski fields.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KellyBond
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed at the lodge for 10 days for a ski vacation (Dec. 8,2013). The hotel was included in a package deal provided by a travel company at an overall low cost. Based on previous reviews I wasn't expecting a lot but was pleasantly surprised . When I arrived I was given a complementary room upgrade. The room (#12) was large, had a King size bed (extremely comfortable), 2 sitting arm chairs, a writing desk, coffee maker and a wall wide window with a balcony. It was absolutely spotless and maintained that way daily. I couldn't believe it, the room cleaning staff actually folded the clothes I left on the chairs. Great WiFi connection. I had some problems relating to my ski lift tickets and safe in the room, the front desk staff and the manager were very helpful in helping resolve these issues. I had no problems contacting the manager. The lodge has a charming character, almost a log cabin type feel that created a relaxing atmosphere. There are small side rooms, that that you can sit in, relax, and read. A large central room with a fireplace you can sit in front. I loved the rustic décor with the old photographs on the wall. I have stayed in Lake Louise at different hotels on three other occasions, this was by far my most pleasant stay. In addition you are within a short walk of Lake Louise (hiking trails, skating etc.) and the shops and amenities of the Chateau at a fraction of the cost. I am baffled by some of the negative reviews. The hotel is a restored 100 year old hunting lodge and I believe a heritage building. It is the antithesis of a modern Hilton or Sheraton hotel, people should enjoy the unique character of the lodge and accept the rustic features.

Room Tip: I loved my room, but I was told that the heritage rooms are even nicer
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank John S
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and I were on a silver wedding trip of a lifetime. Well, these days a man and a woman that make 25 years together is sort of cool isn't it? We wanted to go West and see the big country of Alberta and BC. So we booked Deer Lodge.

Firstly, the little things are always an indicator aren't they? My walking boots needed some double sided tape to repair them after a hard few days mountain trekking. The hotel couldn't have been more helpful. Duly, a roll of double sided very sticky tape was given to myself - boots fixed. Second, the breakfasts. Being British we are used to a ''full English'' but the breakfasts at Deer Lodge we delightful, fresh fruit, pancakes and a lovely feel to the old lodge dining room with great views to the nearby mountains.

Oh and in September we had some snow, the hot tub in the snow was great fun. By the morning the snow was a few inches deep and a helpful hotel employee was already busy scraping guests cars to prepare them for use - just another little extra.

This lodge is a throwback. But a throwback in a quaint and civilised way. I liked it, my wife liked it and it spoke to me about the early days of tourism in this part of Canada; even the squeaking staircase was authentic. Everything was clean and I in particular loved the large lounge with the buffalo head over the large fireplace.

If you want a same old same old hotel chain don't come here. If you want a little bit of character and style this is the place for you. Nice staff, great food (the breakfasts in particular) and a unique old world atmosphere full of 1930s charm.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank casperdog777
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at Deer Lodge, and congratulations on your silver anniversary! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Deer Lodge

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed here in August with our 5 year old son and had a terrible experience. We would have liked to complain face to face however we were informed by the front of house (Alana) that there were no members of the management team working until the afternoon.

We have tried writing to the manager of Deer Lodge Mr McCaffrey on several occasions about our stay but he has not responded. Our experience is described below:

First impressions:
Deer Lodge trades on its history and location. The accommodation section of the website is very misleading. Our double room, as you can see from our photographs, bore no resemblance to the photographs marked double room. As you can see it looks like it hasnt been decorated since the 1930s. The bed was a small double, you certainly couldnt share with any children which was suggest. Many parts of the hotel looked and more importantly smelt uncared for. The smell was not unlike a badly kept nursing home, complete with the faint odor of toilets. It should have smelt of bees wax , coffee and fresh flowers

Service:
We went down to the restaurant for our evening meal at 6pm. We stood where it was signed to wait for several minutes. During this time the waitress ignored us. We then moved to the maitre d' stand and waited again. We then spoke to a waiter who waved his arm and told us to sit where we wanted. We were then completely ignored by the tall blond maitre d' who served other people around us. We were offered neither water or menus and after 10 minutes we got up and left. We went straight to the front desk and asked them where we could eat. We explained what had happened and went to eat at the Fairmont where we received excellent service and a good meal.

This morning we thought perhaps last night had been a one off, and so decided to try the restaurant for breakfast. In retrospect this was a foolish idea. In fairness the serving team were charming however the breakfast initially took 30 minutes to arrive (there were only 4 other guests in the restaurant) and was inedible. We sent the food back and 15 minutes later it returned still inedible. People around us were also sending food back. The waitress only charged us for part of the breakfast and said there is an on going problem with the kitchen.

While we were in our room in the morning we heard a key in the lock, then someone entered the room, saw our belongings, said "oh ****" and left.

When we came to discuss the situation and check out we found we had already been checked out,without our permission or knowledge, complete with various charges on our credit card and there was no management in the building. We are incredibly angry at the service we have received at what should have been a highlight of the trip.

Avoid this place, its over priced and more importantly the management do not care. They are relying on the fact that the client group they are attracting is only going to stay a couple of days and therefore they dont make any effort.

Room Tip: Stay and eat at the Fairmont just up the road
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Emerald Lake Lodge
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!