“The pictures they have posted are not correct”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I checked into my May 3/14 after snowboarding all day.

I just wanted peace and quiet.

I had a shower, and in the shower I could hear people yelling, talking, coming up the stairs etc.

OVER THE NOISE OF THE SHOWER!

Went to watch tv, no tv

the picture of the room was quite big, my room could barley fit the bed.

no heater controls room was too hot.

The hotel is nice, old but nice. check in was great. I didn't stay the night, too noisy, I didn't feel like being tired the next day when I could just tough it out so I drove home ( 4 hours)

This is 2014. Yes I get its an old hotel. but they need to do some serious renovations.

stay at the mountaineer, rooms are cheaper, bigger, and less congestion.

Room Tip: Don't stay here its way to noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dogeatsdog

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The location is near Lake Louise and 2nd to Chateau Fairmont Lake Louise. This is a rustic old lodge and it is clean. Try to book a Heritage room and ask for a room at the end of the new wing to avoid any noise from other guest walking outside the corridor. Just asked for an upgrade nicely. I was given one without any surcharge. I guess, the other standard rooms are cater mainly for budget travellers. The staff are mainly young people and students so start a conversation with them and you will be surprised with the positive responses you will get. We had 2 dinners here and the food is great. Be realistic, Lake Louise is expensive place for an holiday and we find the prices here acceptable. We came from Asia where our currency is one third of the Canadian dollar and we are not complaining. If you are a snob and demand excellent services and 100 percentage perfection, then go stay in the Chateau Fairmont and pay almost double the cost. Sorry, my review may appear to be sharp as I am responding to the few recent unfair reviews posted. Hope my review are informative and will be helpful to other travellers. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Heritage room, at the end of the new wing on the ground floor as there is no lift for this 3 storied...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StevenLeung777
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Not worth the money staff are no help whatsoever and very rude room was filthy and so uncomfortable no tv no radio food was less than ok... Even other guests were so rude it made me mad.... Thank god we only stayed the night.... NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Swords2
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We knew in advance that this is a very old hotel, so we were ready for small rooms, noisy hallways etc. But we did not anticipate how bad it is on cleanliness. We took pictures, but they are simply too terrible to post. Here is a quick summary: Sticky floor, a huge hairball under the table, really dirty vent in the bathroom, water stains on the bathroom floor where they had/have leaky plumbing, dirty toilet, bunch of hair in the bed, and a whole window ledge covered in mouse droppings (interior side of the screen). The bed cover had a stain on it, obviously the duvets are not washed between guests, but the sheets are. They really need new bedding ideas. We never made it to the hot tub, too many people there late into the night.

On the good side: The front desk staff was great during check-in, really helpful and nice. We had a breakfast at the hotel (food ok), staff great there as well, but dishes were a bit dirty and table not wiped. So... We are wondering how it is possible that a charming old hotel with so much potential, fantastic location and a long history can care so little about housekeeping. To me, cleanliness matters a lot.
We hear that the new renovated part of the hotel is much better, so maybe aim for that if you will stay there. I am really sad about this place, -- we were really looking forward to staying here, but the lack of housekeeping was so disappointing. Looking at other people's reviews, maybe we just had back luck.

Room Tip: Aim for the new renovated section.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucie V

Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel had very mixed reviews, so wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but we were for the most part very happy with our stay.
We stayed for a few nights to ski at Lake Louise resort, and check out the lake itself. Being American...we weren't aware how famous the Lake and the Chateau apparently are in Canada - now we do!
The lodge is totally fine - definitely an antique feel, but for the most part that is nice, and they have some interesting photos and things from years past up. The restaurant and sitting room areas are pleasant, although a bit formal for our taste. As others said, the hallways right around the reception could really use a make-over, from being older and not re-done they have a kind of funny smell, which isn't good right when you are walking in.
We stayed in the newer wing in one on the King rooms, which was nice. The room is big enough, bed very comfortable, and it's nice and quiet.
Food in the restaurant is good, and slightly less crazy expensive than the Chateau. It was a quiet week when we were there, and we had good service, friendly and attentive, almost too attentive!
We didn't use the hot-tub, the water didn't feel hot enough to us, and you had to walk kind of far through the hallways from our room to get there.
Only downside of staying there is there is pretty much nothing else around except the chateau and a really small center with a few stores and one restaurant. But it was convenient for skiing, with the shuttle, and to enjoy being in the mountains.
Would recommend, especially if you want to stay by the lake and don't want a pretentious big hotel experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara D
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Well I loved staying in this hotel. I felt like I had stepped into another age, with dark wooden furniture, stuffed elk and buffalo heads, creaky stairs and ornate wall paper. The lounge room and Lady Agnes room are decked out in beautiful wooden tables, plush leather lounges and a cracking fire. The enormous lounge windows were perfect for watching the snow fall outside with Mt Fairview looming in the background. The bed was small (double) but comfortable and I loved the toiletries supplied, the Rose geranium body lotion was almost edible. The restaurant was excellent (see separate review). Built in 1920s the Lodge has an old world charm that will be indelible on our memories. My kids thought it was fantastic. Oh and the hot tub on the roof had amazing views across snowy peaks - worth staying here just for that!

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank 77ksg
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great:
- overall vibe - very cozy and lovely!
- fireplace / couches in sitting room
- location (!!!)
- comfy bed
- hot tub
- free coffee

Not great:
- staff were uninterested and bordering on rude
- room was SO small (different than website picture)
- room was loud
- hot tub jets weren't working and water wasn't very hot
- wifi didn't work
- restaurant was empty and we still got bad service!! food just okay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oceanpearl77

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. I do apologize for the issues you had while staying with us, the level of service you describe certainly does not meet the standards we strive for. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know of these issues.
If you would like to speak to someone further regarding your stay, you can contact dlmanager@crmr.com
Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Louise
#2 of 10 in Lake Louise
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
#5 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!