Deer Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise(Lake Louise)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Post Hotel & Spa(Lake Louise)
View Hotel
Lake Louise Inn(Lake Louise)
View Hotel
Kootenay Park Lodge(Kootenay National Park)
  • Restaurant
Timber Inn(Parson)
1,829 results
All reviewshot tubshort walk to lakelots of characterits charmrustic hotelfive minute walksitting roomcommon areashiking trailscanadian rockieslodgecariboumountainschateaulouisefireplaceskiing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I checked into my May 3/14 after snowboarding all day.

I just wanted peace and quiet.

I had a shower, and in the shower I could hear people yelling, talking, coming up the stairs etc.

OVER THE NOISE OF THE SHOWER!

Went to watch tv, no tv

the picture of the room was quite big, my room could barley fit the bed.

no heater controls room was too hot.

The hotel is nice, old but nice. check in was great. I didn't stay the night, too noisy, I didn't feel like being tired the next day when I could just tough it out so I drove home ( 4 hours)

This is 2014. Yes I get its an old hotel. but they need to do some serious renovations.

stay at the mountaineer, rooms are cheaper, bigger, and less congestion.

Room Tip: Don't stay here its way to noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dogeatsdog
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. The location is near Lake Louise and 2nd to Chateau Fairmont Lake Louise. This is a rustic old lodge and it is clean. Try to book a Heritage room and ask for a room at the end of the new wing to avoid any noise from other guest walking outside the corridor. Just asked for an upgrade nicely. I was given one without any surcharge. I guess, the other standard rooms are cater mainly for budget travellers. The staff are mainly young people and students so start a conversation with them and you will be surprised with the positive responses you will get. We had 2 dinners here and the food is great. Be realistic, Lake Louise is expensive place for an holiday and we find the prices here acceptable. We came from Asia where our currency is one third of the Canadian dollar and we are not complaining. If you are a snob and demand excellent services and 100 percentage perfection, then go stay in the Chateau Fairmont and pay almost double the cost. Sorry, my review may appear to be sharp as I am responding to the few recent unfair reviews posted. Hope my review are informative and will be helpful to other travellers. WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Heritage room, at the end of the new wing on the ground floor as there is no lift for this 3 storied building.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StevenLeung777
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Not worth the money staff are no help whatsoever and very rude room was filthy and so uncomfortable no tv no radio food was less than ok... Even other guests were so rude it made me mad.... Thank god we only stayed the night.... NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Swords2
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We knew in advance that this is a very old hotel, so we were ready for small rooms, noisy hallways etc. But we did not anticipate how bad it is on cleanliness. We took pictures, but they are simply too terrible to post. Here is a quick summary: Sticky floor, a huge hairball under the table, really dirty vent in the bathroom, water stains on the bathroom floor where they had/have leaky plumbing, dirty toilet, bunch of hair in the bed, and a whole window ledge covered in mouse droppings (interior side of the screen). The bed cover had a stain on it, obviously the duvets are not washed between guests, but the sheets are. They really need new bedding ideas. We never made it to the hot tub, too many people there late into the night.

On the good side: The front desk staff was great during check-in, really helpful and nice. We had a breakfast at the hotel (food ok), staff great there as well, but dishes were a bit dirty and table not wiped. So... We are wondering how it is possible that a charming old hotel with so much potential, fantastic location and a long history can care so little about housekeeping. To me, cleanliness matters a lot.
We hear that the new renovated part of the hotel is much better, so maybe aim for that if you will stay there. I am really sad about this place, -- we were really looking forward to staying here, but the lack of housekeeping was so disappointing. Looking at other people's reviews, maybe we just had back luck.

Room Tip: Aim for the new renovated section.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucie V

Deer Lodge Manager dlmanager@crmr.com

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel had very mixed reviews, so wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but we were for the most part very happy with our stay.
We stayed for a few nights to ski at Lake Louise resort, and check out the lake itself. Being American...we weren't aware how famous the Lake and the Chateau apparently are in Canada - now we do!
The lodge is totally fine - definitely an antique feel, but for the most part that is nice, and they have some interesting photos and things from years past up. The restaurant and sitting room areas are pleasant, although a bit formal for our taste. As others said, the hallways right around the reception could really use a make-over, from being older and not re-done they have a kind of funny smell, which isn't good right when you are walking in.
We stayed in the newer wing in one on the King rooms, which was nice. The room is big enough, bed very comfortable, and it's nice and quiet.
Food in the restaurant is good, and slightly less crazy expensive than the Chateau. It was a quiet week when we were there, and we had good service, friendly and attentive, almost too attentive!
We didn't use the hot-tub, the water didn't feel hot enough to us, and you had to walk kind of far through the hallways from our room to get there.
Only downside of staying there is there is pretty much nothing else around except the chateau and a really small center with a few stores and one restaurant. But it was convenient for skiing, with the shuttle, and to enjoy being in the mountains.
Would recommend, especially if you want to stay by the lake and don't want a pretentious big hotel experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple