“A step back in time”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Billings, Montana
“A step back in time”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A step back in time, but in a good way. The small rooms are updated, but the feel of the hotel is very much in the "grand tour" manner. Common rooms were NOT equipped as the front desk staff described (no TV and no board games), but they were comfortable spots to read or plink on a piano. No doubt it is expensive to keep up this big wooden place, but the price did seem a bit steep for what it was. It's within walking distance of Lake Louise itself, but has none of the pompousness of the Chateau.

Room Tip: Our room was in the old, main part of the lodge. The rooms in the addition were aesthetically less...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gravesend
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I knew I was staying here for one night, I had read the reviews on trip advisor, but the word grim doesn't cover by half. The place could be really nice, if a decent manager would get a grip of the friendly willing staff. The sink overflow in my bathroom, was so black and slimy I dread to think what germs were growing, you felt dirty just looking at it. We choose to eat in the restaurant that night, the food was good and so was service, but the dinning room it self wanted a good clean! There was a butter knife on the floor with butter still on it under our table( maybe it just got missed) NO at breakfast we sat on the other side of the room and it was still there! The placed had not been cleaned from the night before, crumbs and food on the floor, Service at breakfast was terrible, we had to ask for plates as none were to hand, tea and coffee were ordered but then waited an age for them to arrive. It is a really convenient for Lake Louise so do yourself a favour, sleep there if you must, but walk to the Fairmont for breakfast.

1 Thank Kentishlady
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your recent experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager - dlmanager@crmr.com

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

melbourne
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Travelled to LL and decided to stay at Deer Lodge to soak up the heritage of this wilderness.

Whilst not a modern or overly fancy hotel, it is a lodge and it has seen many years of wilderness and has weathered over time.

Thi ,I think ,adds to its charm and I often think about the hikers and climbers that have returned from their adventurous day, trekking beyond glaciers and climbing, knowing ,hoping,they would return to the charm of Deer Lodge.

Definitely worthy of a look if not a stay and enjoy being part of its history.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorldGirl9
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

With some TLC....

We stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of june on our Rockies trip. In hindsight I wouldn't have done this! I would rather have stayed 2 extra nights in Jasper and added another night to our Banff stay.

The hotel looks wonderful from the outside, very quaint and rustic, now i know this is a very old building, but it does need bringing into the 21st century. (I have stayed in listed building hotels in the UK and all have been more cheerful inside than Deer Lodge!) I love old fashioned, but this hotel felt more like an old people's home (and smelled like one too!) The room we were allocated was not bad at all, and being in a corner it was larger than some of the more basic rooms. The plumbing was tetchy and could run very hot if the toilet was flushed while the shower was in operation according to the very small sign below the mirror! luckily this didn't happen to us.

I was delighted we had a car.....the bar and resturant closed at 9pm?? bit odd for a hotel and made it feel even more like an old people's home - as well as the stifling heat, had to leave both windows open for our entire stay not good when the roar of traffic to the lake started around 8am!. Wi-fi was iffy too, but expected due to location. We ended up going to Lake Louise Inn to eat as they had a lovely bar there doing food.

The location of this hotel was perfect though, and we managed to see LL in the early morning and evening before the crowds were pulling in.

I was also a bit annoyed upon checking out, I had booked the room through our travel agent who put the trip together for us and I had told them I was happy with a small room as we wouldn't spend much time at the hotel, we checked in was issued keys and AT NO TIME was I offered, nor did I ask for an upgrade....yet upon checking out they tried to charge me $100!!!!! I was very firm and said I did not ask for an upgrade and if we had been put in the wrong room that was their fault not ours..they did back down and said they would speak to the travle agents, I will be checking my CC statement carefully - they had better not try anything on is all I can say - travellers be aware, But apart from that we had a reasonably pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you like more space go for a heritage suite - or ask for a corner room.
1 Thank Jeannette504216
Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager - dlmanager@crmr.com
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel has lots of character and staff were very friendly and helpful. It is close to Lake Louise without having to stay at the overpriced Fairmont resort. The restaurant was quit and served great food at fair prices.

Room Tip: We stayed in a tower room. Not so good if you have lots of luggage as not elevator at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Lake Louise as part of the Banff - Jasper leg of our holiday. In hindsight I would advise to stay in Banff and drive up to Lake Louise. The accommodation at LL is overpriced and due to lack of competition seems to not measure up to standards we have experienced elsewhere.. Badly in need of renovation, stiflingly hot, a dark rabbit warren and there seems to be an air of gloom around the place partly due to the to the interior and the unhappy customers. Certainly in talking to other patrons (in the hot tub - which does have a great views and although basic was a very enjoyable experience) it seem to be the obvious consensus that this wasn't a good place to stay.
For breakfast we opted for the buffet rather than al carte and it was the worst buffet ($20CAD) I have ever had. Everything was barely warm - the replenished french toast was cold. The dining room was quiet and they ran out of plates! A couple were waiting at the buffet for 5 mins for plates to arrive. The bread for toast ran out and after requesting more a partly frozen loaf was bought out in a plastic bag where it stayed - I could go on. Such low standards in hospitality baffle me, this must happen every morning. We thought the breakfast was indicative of the whole place.
The staff and managmenet were trying to do their best - the receptionist staff and the breakfast staff were very nice (especially the breakfast staff).
Easy walk to the beautiful Lake Louise.

2 Thank Mark O
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Deer Lodge General Manager - dlmanager@crmr.com
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Five star luxury it is not but it is full of rustic charm not often seen in modern hotels. Ideally situated just 150 m from the shores of Lake Louise it is certainly an acceptable alternative to the five star luxury Fairmount.
The restaurant provided atmospheric surroundings but very poor service. It was 30 minutes before our drinks arrived and 45 minutes before our food orders were taken which is not acceptable. When we eventually got the food after an hour and 10 minutes it was good!
The rooms are on three levels with no lifts but provide a decent and clean standard of accommodation. We would certainly return but the restaurant service does need to be addressed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Lake Louise
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!