“disappointing”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We were surprised at the poor state of the rooms at this lodge. They were dark, damp, smelly and noisy. Dampness seemed to be a problem throughout the lodge except in the lounge area (with a fire- perhaps the only place to get warm). The service at check-in was also also very unfriendly (by contrast with the excellent and friendly service we received throughout the rest of our trip in Canada). On the other hand, the restaurant food and service were excellent and the facilities reasonable. We coudln't recommend this place- if we visit the Rockies again, we'll stay in Banff and accept the extra kilometres of driving!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna_Ajaz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed 10 October 2009

We stayed here for three nights. The location is utterly beautiful. Almost adjacent to the Lake, it is close enough to walk to Lake Louise but far enough away from the huge car park and the huge crowds of tourists and coach trips who flock to the nearby Fairmont. At night you do feel that you have the lake to yourself. The public areas of the Lodge are lovely, warm and steeped in history. Reception service is OK - I wasn't that impressed with the "processed" nature of our check in and the complete lack of warmth or information provided. I got the impression they were rushing us through before a coach came in. Bar and restaurant service is friendly and professional. The food (we ate there on two occassions) is fair for the high-ish prices, nothing outstanding, but certainly tasty. The main point to convey however is the room. We stayed in the Heritage wing and the room was tiny. Essentially there's a bed, two small bedside tables and a chest of drawers. That's it - nowhere for baggage and only 4 coat hangers. Not really enough room for two of us to stand up at the same time. These are not rooms in which you can return after a hike and chill out. In addition, the rooms are looking at bit worn and getting a tad shabby - broken blinds, some peeling wallpaper and grotty grouting around the bath. I appreciate that the Lodge is old and that the room size can't change, but I was disappointed. They should make the room size very clear and Heritage doesn't mean poor quality to me. If you are staying for more than one night and can afford to do so - upgrade to a larger room.

3  Thank Riflerangeblues
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We had booked a standard room, but I had to upgrade to a family room as the standard room was so small it was claustrophobic.
The room we ended up with was nice enough, though the carpet was stained, the wallpaper was torn, and overall it needed a bit of a makeover.
We ate breakfast once here and were horrified by the rudeness of the staff.
Location is nice enough near to Lake Louise.

2  Thank jan30London
Reviewed 9 October 2009

All our accommodation was pre booked, Vancouver, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Calgary. All except Deer Lodge were very acceptable. The climb with your luggage up dark stairways into a tiny room, no tv, tea or coffee, hair dryer, bedside lamp, oh and the warning about not using the cold water or flushing the toilet when someone was showering was laughable. We accidently found the complimentary internet down in the dungeon, with the tv and pool table, just like an old guest house, it was like a rabbit warren and you could easily get lost. Lake Louise itself was beautiful and the walk to Agnes Lake & Tea House was fantastic.

2  Thank janrio
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Our "superior " room was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen,it was dark and dingy,the plumbing dripped allnight,the window had to be kept closed due to the din outside it became unbearably hot with uncontrollable heat which seemed to come from a hot pipe under the floorboards,The walls were paper thin so one could hear every sound from next door.The matress was so old I felt as if I was falling out of bed.What a dump,some heritage authentic heritage building,Avoid unless you like sleepless nights and being ripped off.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank teithiwrNorthWales
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I stayed in this hotel for only one night ( thank God ). Having read the reviews I was very wary of staying there but as it had been booked for me as part of a Rocky Mountain tour I didn't really have much choice. I had stayed in hotels in Vancouver, Kamloops and Jasper before staying here and they had been excellent hotels. On arrival the staff seemed indifferent as if they had been used to complaints about the place. I was given Room 201 which was on the first floor. No elevator to reach the room so it was a trek along a filthy carpet, up a rickety flight of stairs before entering a stuffy sparcely furnished room with no air con. no television and very little else. I went back to reception to complain but they again appeared indifferent and told me that if I wanted any air in the room to 'open the windows'. It seemed pointless to argue with a 'robot or to 'pursue the matter and as it was just for one night it wasn't worth the aggravation. Getting back to room and going into the 'bathroom' I was amazed to see a plumbing system which would have been better displayed in a museum rather than a hotel. The sink pedestal was not fixed to the floor and could be moved either left, right or forward and the toilet bowl was stained. The grouting around the bath was black and the room was so small you could not move around with any comfort. I opened the windows to let some air in and was met with a cacophony of sound from an extractor fan. The prices in the bar were exhorbitant and I never bothered with the restaurant as I couldn't arrange a re mortgage to cover the costs of the meals. There are no shops near the hotel, the village is about 4km from the hotel, so you either pay their prices or go without.. Lake Louise itself is stunning and well worth a visit but not staying at the (Oh Dear) Deer LodgeI

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank KeithfromPattaya
Reviewed 27 September 2009

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I wish that the recent reviews had been there when we had booked. I agree with them all. We have video of the standard of the rooms to prove how bad they were.

The rooms were terrible. Dark, dirty and ill equipped. There was no tea/coffee making facilites, no hair drier and 3 coat hangers in the alcove/wardrobe. The rooms did not appear to have been cleaned, the towels had not even been folded, the plumbing is awful, and there was mould growing on the bathroom tiles. We asked about a hairdryer, and one was brought to the room, but they are not in all rooms because of the power (or lack of sockets).

We had been allocated a superior room apparently, but the front desk staff did not want to know about changing rooms. On our first night the hotel was full as there was a wedding taking place which meant the restaurant was closed. The bar was open but none of the bartenders knew what thime it was open unitl. We went up and ate at the
Chateau and wished we had booked in there - warm and friendly with great staff.

The only bright spot was a new employee who tried to make amends when we checked out. She had only been there a few days and the poor standards of service had not yet rubbed off on her.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy - if I could give it 0 stars I would. Travel agents should remove it from their brochures as soon as possible.

3  Thank Paddy53