“Nice but we reserved the wrong suite”
Review of Lake Louise Inn

Lake Louise Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here between Christmas and New Years. We have a family of 5 with 3 teenage kids so we booked the large 2 bedroom suite. We had friends who booked a loft suite. They had as many beds and bathrooms as we did with as much functional space as we did PLUS they had an oven and we only have a stovetop and their room was much cheaper. Oh yeah, there are pet friendly lofts too but not for the 2 bedroom. We would stay there again. The free bus service from the hotel to Lake Louise Ski Centre is great. Make sure you ask about all the discounts and promotions. Our friends were booked with a rate that gave them the fourth night free which we did not know about. Our rate was cheaper for 3 nights but would not have been cheaper had we stayed 4 nights. We have passes to the hill but the hotel offers stay and ski packages too

Room Tip: do not book the standard room (the hotel will tell you they are the least attractive). The loft sui...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LacombeFamily12
Lake-Louise-Inn, General Manager at Lake Louise Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Lacombe Family 12,

Thank you very much for choosing us during your vacation and for your positive comments. We have 9 room types and you and your friends stayed in the 2 largest. Your 2 bedroom suite is our largest in the hotel and the most recently renovated. I am glad both families enjoyed their stay and had your needs met. I am truly delighted to read you would return to the Lake Louise Inn.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Travelled from the UK as a family of 4 plus father in law and niece(16) for a ski hol. Had a one bed loft condo, was ok, clean, beds were comfortable altho found it slightly strange that double bed in loft area had a duvet but all other beds had sheets and blankets. My father in law was a bit cold with one blanket but found another. Heating controlled by air vents in the floor/wall which you can adjust temp of but it was quite noisy when on. Bathrooms clean and ok, good to have 2 for the 6 of us.
Main issue we had was not really designed for self catering very well. Yes had fridge, kettle, microwave, dishwasher (old but functional) - the cooker was very old, rings worked fine but main oven had heating elements top and bottom, no metal trays to cook things on so garlic bread and pizza got a bit burnt. Resorted to cooking on pieces of cardboard. Only one decent sized saucepan and no scissors (thankfully had my nail scissors to open packets!)...
We had aimed to mainly self cater due to fussy nature of children's eating but this did prove a challenge with the equipment provided - think you are expected to self cater by heating ready meals in microwave or heat soup? Also not helped by 3 of the 6 of us being unwell during the holiday.
Looked for the hotel gift shop - shut for refurbishment, girl on desk said 'I dont really know when its going to open again'.... Tried the pool one night - was freezing! Hot tub packed with lots of children...
As for the ski resort, the hourly shuttle bus from the hotel only took about 7-8 minutes to get to the resort - the lessons were good and lots of choice of runs for varying abilities. The Lake Louise ski resort itself could do with more food variety (mainly fried things with chips) - and why, during the week, they closed one of the 2 hot food serving areas - so everyone forced to queue in the one area - then they kept running out of, say hot dogs and you would have to wait 10-15 minutes for the next load. We routinely had to wait 25-35 minutes in a queue for food, which when you only have an hour between am and pm lessons is not really acceptable! Will be commenting on their page.
On the whole a reasonable place to stay compared with the cost of this hotel versus others; room was serviced and cleaned well (they arranged my daughters cuddly toys on her bed which was sweet) - but not great for hoping to self cater!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane C

Dear Jane C.

Thank you very much for the wonderful review and for choosing us for your vacation! I am so sorry that 3 of you were not feeling well during your ski vacation. Our ovens have metal wire racks but your room did not have baking sheets. We always have a few on hand to meet requests and I am sorry we did not know you needed them. We try and keep our kitchens equipped with a variety of implements for cooking and I am sorry that we failed to meet your specific self catering needs. We will look at adding scissors in the future. Our pool is kept at 26.5C-79F and is enjoyed by many. Our hot tubs are kept at 40C-104F and also very popular. I am sorry you were not able to sit in the hottub at the time you visited our pool area. I hope the scenic majesty of the Lake Louise Rockies pleased you and made you want to return!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My guy & I needed a serious break, and we could only get away on Family Day weekend. It was a bit of a nightmare, and I should have known the ski hill would be chaos, traffic horrible, no parking anywhere, and a white-knuckled drive from Cgy in very high winds, tossing us everywhere on the highway, and a few near misses from drivers not holding on tight to avoid getting slammed sideways into us with those high winds. I"m saying all of this so that you can imagine my foul mood when we finally made it to the hotel. I'll admit, I had booked elsewhere and for the second year in a row, a high-priced hotel (Baker Creek Chalets) totally misrepresented the booking and then cancelled us at a time when rooms in the whole of Lake Louise were pretty much sold out. I chose the Lake Louise Inn because the room looked so nice (the deluxe king suite) and had a double jetted tub (very necessary after climbing hills all day) and although it was a little pricey, the kitchenette meant we didn't have to go out to eat, and could bring food & snacks to stay in with.
We had a main level room, farthest away from all the others, end unit. The staff that welcomed us were very pleasant and gave us some good info before we headed out to find our room. From the moment we put the card key in the door, I had a smile on my face! The room was perfect in terms of size and amenities, fireplace really cranked out the heat to warm us up, the tub was heart shaped, oh my! And sooo comfortable. The room was in perfect repair, as if it had just been renovated or re-decorated, and absolutely spotless! Just a pleasure to stay in. There were 2 flat-screen tvs, and although we didn't watch it much, it kind of explained the noise from upstairs, sounded like someone was watching a movie loudly, however, after the odd loud spell, it became quiet before 11pm and we didn't have to ask to have them turn it down, so not a big deal at all, just keep in mind that the rooms aren't paper-thin, nor are they sound proof, it's a hotel, right? Oh, one suggestion: I think there were 2 corkscrews but no bottle openers, oops. I'm sure we could have asked for one, but it was a bit of a long walk in the cold & snow, back to the main reception. I do think people should probably try to find out in advance if their room is on the 2nd or 3rd level, if they have mobility issues, because these units are all walk-up, I believe. That could put a damper on things, especially in slushy, snowy conditions.
All in all, for us, though, we will put it on our list of great places to stay at, when we come to play in the mountains near Lake Louise!

Room Tip: Watch for 2nd or 3rd floor walk-up units, just to be aware if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lake-Louise-Inn, General Manager at Lake Louise Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Dianne D,

Thank you for the fantastic review! I am so glad you were able to relax and enjoy the amenities in your 495 sq ft Suite! Your end suite was in Building 5 and there is an elevator located in the centre which services all 3 floors. I will remind our front desk agents to better inform our guests in Building 5 of the elevator. It is this type of positive comment that puts a smile on all of us at the Inn!

Best Regards

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We obtained this room through a deal with Groupon. I feel that for the price we paid it was good, but I'm not sure that it would have been worth it for full price. I'm not sure what type of room we had as it had one bedroom with a queen bed and full bath as well as a second room with a queen bed and single bed. Overall it was very spacious and had everything (and then some) that we needed. It is easy to find, right off Lake Louise Drive (although Lake Louise is so small that everything is close) and very close to the mall that has a grocery store and bakery. Lake Louise Chateau is within a 5-10 minute drive where you can walk/snowshoe/ski/skate or just walk round the grounds and look at the ice sculptors (in winter at least). We went to the Timberwolf pizza and pasta cafe for dinner our first night, it was good, but grossly over priced for what we got. We brought our own food for the remainder of the trip so I'm not sure about the other dining facilities. Our kitchen had everything we needed, even a dishwasher. The only thing is that the mini fridge was not level on the ground, so we couldn't keep anything in the door, it kept swinging open. The ice skating rink was very nice, we went the first evening and it was lit up with christmas type lights and the ice was smooth and even. The gazebo wasn't open when we went, but that would have been nice as it was very cold that night. Our room was in one of the surrounding buildings on the bottom floor and noise travelled a lot. It was hard to sleep when people were walking in their rooms and outside upstairs. Also, the shower above us was so noisy in our room that it sounded like someone was showering in our bathroom. We didn't use the pool as it was so busy in the evenings that we didn't feel like sharing it with the crowds of children. It would have been nice if they had longer hours that 9am-10pm. Opening earlier in the morning would have been great (like 7am). On two separate occasions our room cards de-magnetized, so one of us had to stand in the cold with our stuff while the second one went to the front desk to get them fixed.
Overall, it was good, I can't compare it to any of the other hotels in Lake Louise, I have stayed at the hostel and that was good. Unfortunately everything in that vicinity is expensive and you pay more than it's worth. We ventured out this year from our annual visit to Canmore, and it was a nice change, but I think we'll be sticking to Canmore where we can get just as good a quality for le$$.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Lake-Louise-Inn, General Manager at Lake Louise Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Yomo360,

Thank you for the review. Our condos do come equipped with the necessary amenities required if our guests choose to cook and eat in. We take pride in maintaining our unique through the woods skating rink. The Lake Louise area is small and remote while being surrounded by imposing and visible glaciers and the highest mountains in the Southern Rockies. Your mention of our fridge is noted and we will send our maintenance team to inspect all of them.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just spent 3nights here in a deluxe queen room. Overall we were impressed especially with the special price of $50 discount towards food or room cost per night! The room had everything we needed except for a small refrigerator...which I think should be included in a room of this standard. The reception were very nice. Housekeeping quick to respond to requests..eg wine glass, or cream for coffee. No noise from neighbours..very quiet. The pizza cafe was great. The explorers bar was cosy with lovely staff, ambience but the food a bit too "basic" and this could be improved easily.eg salad quality.
Overall we were impressed with the value for money in this part of the world.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lake-Louise-Inn, General Manager at Lake Louise Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Chris G,

Thank you for your grin and we reply with a smile! I will meet with our Executive Chef and discuss best ways to take your salad improvement suggestion.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Not too happy with our stay here and will not be coming back!
I booked as a group, ski and stay package, The condo loft, was smaller then portrayed on the website! The bottom room was freezing! The loft was so hot! When I booked I was promised free continental breakfast- Didn't happen, When I talked to the Manager nothing was resolved, not even a apology! Didn't even bother telling them my son got a rash from the pool, :( Overall as the person responsible for the group booking I was very embarrassed- The rest of my group had. Multiple issues aswell

• Stayed: February 2014
Lake-Louise-Inn, General Manager at Lake Louise Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Businesswoners,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is critical to our operation. We do not offer a free continental breakfast and our agents would not have offered this. Our one bedroom condo loft is 642 sq ft exactly as described in our website. I am sorry that you do not agree. I am sorry that the temperature was not to your liking, we set the thermostat to 20c and this setting has been working well all winter. I hope your son's rash has healed, our pool meets all Alberta Health Standards and is tested daily to meet the strict requirements.
We accommodate many groups of all types with great success and I am so sorry that your experience was not a happy one.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We spent 10 days at the Lake Louise Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had booked a basic double room but found we had been upgraded to a Deluxe Queen room - spacious and well-appointed. Our room was in the main building, with windows that looked onto the pool. Sound did travel from the pool area but, since it closed at 10pm, was not a problem.
Reception staff were very friendly and efficient - when the heating in our room stopped working, we were rapidly offered a new room.
Food quality in all 3 eating areas was good. It was not cheap, but then nothing in Lake Louise is! Samson Mall (5 mins walk) has a grocery store where we bought bread etc to make lunches with - saved a fortune at the ski hill.

The only small negatives relate to wifi (free) and noise from other rooms
- most of the time the wifi was superb, but at times was so slow it was pitiful.
- it is possible to hear coughing, snoring, arguments etc from neighbouring rooms.

Would definitely stay again - offers very good value for the location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FayeandRui

Dear FayeandRui,

How wonderful that you enjoyed your 10 day stay with us! Thank you very much for the nice comments. I have noted your wifi concerns and will discuss with our IT department.
Hope you will make the long journey back to Lake Louise soon!
Regards,