“The most outstanding view ever!!”
Review of Moraine Lake Lodge

Moraine Lake Lodge
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“The most outstanding view ever!!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful place, with stunning views from the main lodge and the cabins. The room was wonderful with a verandah overlooking the incredible lake and mountains. We went on an organised hike with the resident naturalist who was incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about the wildlife and the area in general - we thoroughly enjoyed the morning spent hiking with her. We also enjoyed the nature talk given one evening. Breakfasts are good and the restaurant excellent (slightly pricey). This is a very special place which we will never forget.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Orange, California
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My childhood dreams of Moraine Lake being a quiet, rustic place are shattered.

The new lodge is very nice. The 'cabins' are duplex structures with lake and forest views. Interiors are 'rustic chic'. Excellent beds, linens, toiletries, complimentary champagne. BUT the new lodge and cabins do not provide the tranquil mountain experience one might expect at that price point.

It's hard to enjoy ones balcony with zero privacy; hordes of noisy tourists staring up at you from the public pathway just below. I felt as if we were on display in a store window.

The staff was wonderful: friendly, attentive, helpful as they can be.

The hotel food:

Buffet breakfast (included in room rate): run of the mill pastries, fruits, juices, chafing dishes of bacon, eggs, sausages, and pancakes, French toast, etc.

The dinner: On a scale of 1 to 10 for resort hotel food, a 7. Adequate, but not outstanding for the price. Beautiful quality steaks, but Chef.... STEP AWAY FROM THE SALT SHAKER !!! Seriously. And your onion soup could use some wine or seasoning, maybe a little gruyere on top?.... but no more salt, please.

The reason for going to Moraine Lake, Hiking:

Unfortunately, the HORDES of tourists that arrive every morning by car and bus, swamp the place until dusk, turning Moraine Lake's trails into human pinball machines. The premier trails are literally plugged by long lines of people. Yes, the scenery - lake, glaciers, peaks, larch trees- is stunning, but the hiking trails are PLUGGED by large groups of loud, slow bussed-in tourist groups who must stop in the middle of the trail to rest. Most tour bus tourists do not know trail etiquette (resting off the side of the trail) and that's okay until there are so many of them that it takes 2 hours to hike up a 1 hour trail.

Decades ago we hiked the Larch Valley, over Sentinel pass, down the Paradise Valley and saw just a few hikers..... I savor that memory.

It's a crowded world.

3 Thank Chris P
Clarks Summit, PA
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The Moraine Lake Lodge is located approx. 14km from the Lake Louise Village area, but SO worth it.
Do yourself a favor and stay here. The rooms are beautiul and overlook the lake, which in my opinion is way more beautiful than Lake Louise. It's a small property with a nice restaurant, a deli and a rather good size gift shop. We had a Deluxe King cabin which had a nice bathroom, the sleeping area and a small sunken living room w/fireplace and the biggest picture window I've ever seen, overlooking the trees and lake. There was a small deck big enough for two chairs and a small table, and an AMAZING view.
They also include a breakfast buffet in the cost of the room, which was very good.

The only drawback is the crowds of people who come and go during the day to hike, rent canoes, etc. down below at the lakeside. There is a large parking lot that you drive through to get to the hotel's entrance. There were cars and RVs lined out beyond the parking area. The crowds don't interfer with the hotel area, but you can see and hear them down along the lakeside most of the day. It didn't bother us at all, but it can get crowded. We hiked along the lake, all the way to the backside...and climbed the Rock Pile twice for the unbelievable views. Wow! These two trails were very busy during the day, but as the it got closer to dinner time, they thinned out. All in all, a great place to stay and worth the cost!

Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent 4 days at Moraine Lake and enjoyed every moment. We would have liked longer. Our room was located in one of the separate cabins and was front line to the lake. There were a fair number of tourists passing by, but our stay did cover a weekend and was at the time Larches were turning.

We would suggest that a weekday stay might be better those who prefer less tourists around them, but we spent most of the day either walking with Hannah or visiting the many alternative venues within a short drive, so for us it was not an issue.

At night, after supper, we were able to enjoy the comfortable sitting area and log fire.

The restaurant food was of a very high standard as was the level of service that we received from all of the staff who were both friendly, approachable and found time to talk, including the GM.

We would certainly like a return visit as soon as possible.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Lodge
My first view of the lodge when we pulled into the parking area was disappointing. The entrance for hotel guests is actually in the back right next to what looked like a maintenance or housekeeping area. Next, we were in the very nice, small lobby with a warm, crackling fire. The helpful reception person checked us in and showed us our room and around the lodge. I inquired about leaving our car in their lot while we hiked the next day but they seemed to indicate (not very clearly, though) that we had to be out of the lot an hour after check-out time. This is understandable given their tiny lot. Instead, I woke up early and moved the car to the huge public lot in the morning which is very close so it wasn’t a big deal. I really liked the outdoor natural landscaping and flowers around the lodge as well as the very pretty hanging flower planters. Sitting outside with a drink on their patio people-watching was fun and relaxing after a hike. We really enjoyed the included canoe rental on the lake. Don’t forget to take advantage of this included amenity! Luckily, I noticed the $49 overcharge on the bill at checkout and they did correct it but it took awhile.
Room
The room (lodge queen) was very nice, spacious, tastefully decorated and well-appointed and had an awesome balcony and fancy bathroom and looked just like the picture on their website. We especially enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a great view of the lake that evening and the next morning. We slept well.
Restaurant
We had dinner in the dining room. The atmosphere was okay and there was a fire going but the glass enclosed part was kind of weird-looking though it afforded a nice view. We enjoyed the mains (the $46 beef tenderloin and $26 pasta with seafood) but I was a little disappointed in the pricy apps (baked brie, duck confit wontons). The menu listed a few bottled beers by brand and name but oddly didn’t list the style (we enjoy beer rather than wine). Also, the so-so server wasn’t knowledgeable about their beer styles (he described one beer as a stout but it was actually a brown ale). The included buffet breakfast the next morning was good.
Overall
Overall, the room was quite nice but it’s just not worth the money in my opinion ($499 CDN) to stay here. Also, the service was not stellar which is what I expect at these prices. I knew to expect the crowds of tourists at the lake just in front of the lodge ahead of time so that wasn’t my issue. It's too close to the busy lake to be able to "get away from it all". Maybe a nice hot tub would have swayed me to like this place more? I just think there are other nice mountain lodges in the area which appear to be a better value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beergarden
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Yeah.
That's true.
After my check out I went upstairs to take my luggage.After some 4 or 5 minutes I remember that my US$4,000 Nikon camera remained on the front desk and quickly ran downstairs in order to take it.Guess what?The camera suddenly disappeared.The manager said that was sorry but it was my fault because "expensive stuff like that must always be with me".It mades me laugh...
So let's see the surveillance cameras,right?No, the hotel didn't have cameras...Believe it!
So let's call the police and make a report or something like that.By the phone, the police officer told me that tourists use to lost tons of cameras every year at the park and a report was not possible because I had to prove that someone take the camera and not me...(!!!)O.k., but I did not lost, someone picked it up INSIDE the hotel and it is very serious.Hey,it's not 3rd world, it's the worldwide famous Canada,isn't it?
CONCLUSION:would you stay in a place where you don't have security and the stuff don't give a damn and even so you have to pay a lot?Is this the Canadian way of welcoming tourists?Bye,bye Canada.I am back to my US and Europe vacations.I deserve respect because I put my precious money right to the hotel's owners hands and they don't even have to leave their countries.But to Canadian's ones not anymore.
Attention.I was in Dubai and Abu Dhabi recently.You don't see police cars on the streets because they don't need it.Nobody steals or kills over there because they have their hands cut off.Don't you think it may be such a good idea to Canada?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rita D
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Moraine Lake Lodge is expensive, but it is worth every penny if you can afford to stay here. This was the "splurge" lodging on our two-week trip to the Canadian Rockies.
We had a lodge room overlooking the lake; the room and the view were wonderful. Our room had a fireplace, with a fire laid every day by the staff. It was cold enough at night to use it, too! All of the rooms have a balcony overlooking the spectacular lake.
Although it is expensive, there are many extras included in the price: an excellent hot-breakfast buffet, free use of canoes on the lakes, guided hikes, and talks a couple of evenings a week. We took advantage of all of them.
The staff is well-trained, knowledgeable and helpful, especially the wait staff. The food in the dining room is excellent.
As they are opened only four months a year, it is hard to understand how they can afford to maintain this property.

1 Thank SGJ1013