“Inexpensive place to rest after a day skiing”
Review of Mountaineer Lodge

Mountaineer Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have stayed at the Mountaineer twice since Jan 1. It is inexpensive and simple. The rooms are large and service is pretty good. I reserved rooms for 2 other families on our last stay. The reservations got messed up (part our fault part the hotels). But everything was looked after by the hotel and they got us the rooms we needed (Our friends booked 2 queen beds with the ski package for about $300 includes 2 lift txts worth $85 each making the room only $130/night. There is no restaurant in the hotel but everything in Lake Louis is close. We took advantage of the free bus service to the ski hill - way better than parking and walking - door to door service. The kids thought the TV was small (not a real issue). The shower blasted out the water and the tub drain could not keep up - I assume they will get to those renovations some day. But all in all this place is a great-inexpensive place to stay

Room Tip: Family queen is very spacious for not much more money - although regular two queen rooms are fine
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LacombeFamily12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We recently stayed at the Mountaineer. The total overall experience was great from the ease of booking through the front desk to check in and out. The room was well maintained and the cleaning staff did a good job of keeping it that way while we were there. The older VRT TV took a little bit of getting use to again as we are more use to a larger flat screen now, but it worked fine. I hear a breakfast room is coming later this year which will be good but bringing our own wasn't really a hassle as we have done that before. The only setback to the town site of Lake Louise on a whole is the lack of a evening eating place that doesn't close before 8 pm that has reasonably priced regular type meals. The next time we travel to Lake Louise we will definitely check out the Mountaineer as long as they keep the rates in check.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darrel N
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Kat the manager is amazing . They have such helpful staff and they really want to make you enjoy your stay! wonderful experience even better than when we went to the lake louise chateau. we had issues checking I'm because a third party agency had confused the spelling of my name. the manager solved the problem right away and was extremely professional! it great to be at a place where the staff and management actually care about the people who are visiting the hotel ! I would recommend staying here and book directly with the hotel !

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank krout901215
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very dissapointing to come home and find that the charge was almost double what I was quoted!
I was given a price on the phone, called back to confirm and book, got the same price, came to check in, paid on CC at the desk (same rate as on the phone), and then got home and saw that the price charged on my CC was almost double!

I then phoned the hotel to flag this, and they said there is nothing they can do.

Consider this before booking, OR PAY CASH!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GeeDee360
Reviewed 17 March 2013

If you want luxury go and stay at the Chateau, however if you want a your hotel clean, friendly and good value then Mountaineer Lodge is a great place to stay. Before arriving I had read reviews about noise, but this was no worse than many more expensive places I have stayed. The location is awesome, I loved waking in the morning to see mountains outside my window (true, it is difficult not to do that in Lake Louise), it was also very handy for me being just across the road from the village centre and greyhound bus stop.

I was there for skiing and the hotel was able to help me getting ski-passes, advising on the best rental location, storing my gear overnight, and the best bit is that bus to the ski hill comes right to the door. The hot-tub and steam room were very welcome after a day on the slopes helping to relax tired muscles.

There is no in-house restaurant but there are places close by and the staff were helpful in telling me what options were available

Talking of staff, my special thanks to Melanie for helping out when I needed it.
Overall, I would definitely recommend Mountaineer Lodge !!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Had an unreal experience at the lodge! Incredible accommodation, extremely friendly, and personable staff!!! Rooms were clean and comfy. The lodge was extremely affordable. Great rates for a weekend away in Lake Louise!!! Would highly recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: They did not have a restaurant, but I can only assume if they did it would be great!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda R
Reviewed 14 March 2013

A great value hotel close to Lake Louise Ski hill. The beds were comfy but decor was a little dated -think 1980's floral Polyester bedcovers. Room and bathroom were spacious and very clean. There was a fridge, coffee maker, and microwave but no kettle. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Free shuttle to Lake Louise Ski Hill left very 30 mins. The lodge is very central and a short 5 min walk to the small number of restaurants in Lake Louise. The only downside that there was no breakfast available close by so we bought cereal, bowls and plastic cutlery in the nearby grocery store at a rip-off price so that the savings we made by staying at the Mountaineer lodge were lost. Nice touches at the hotel were the free popcorn, chocolate and nuts, that the kids loved, and free bottle of red wine that the parents loved! (We got a special hotel offer from Groupon for the wine). There was a spacious hot-tub and steam room which were great after a day on the hill. We ate at the Timberwolf Restaurant at Lake Louise Lodge, good food but miserable service, and at the Post Hotel Pub, great service and atmosphere but food was bland. I would stay at the Mountaineer Lodge again because of the closeness to the skiing and the cost. Cheap Lift Tickets for Lake Louise are available at Costco.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family