“Comfortable stay and very friendly staff”
Review of Mountaineer Lodge

Mountaineer Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We had one night here on our way from Jasper to Banff. Check in was quick and easy, we had a room in the main building, down the hall from the reception. The room itself was large, clean and well priced. The bathroom was clean and the shower worked well.

There was no noise problem at night and the bed was comfortable enough. It was a bit hot but a fan was provided (and used!) There is a laundry room on site which we used that was handy. Also vending machines which we didnt use.

There are a few choices to walk to for dinner, we found a sports bar/restaurant at another Hotel that was reasonably good.

Breakfast in the morning was average, standard continental fare. The staff weren't very helpful but it was free and there was plenty available. The breakfast room definitely needs an update.

Best part of our stay was the help we recieved from the front desk when trying to book the next nights stay in Banff. They looked up phone numbers and even let us borrow their phone to call multiple Hotels. We would recommenned this hotel to people looking for a comfortable hotel in a good location for a good price.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for three nights and it was a good location for looking round the local area. Rooms are clean and comfortable, although we still can't quite work out why they provide a microwave but no cutlery or plates to use. We used it to boil water for tea as this is yet another place that doesn't provide a kettle! There is a launderette you can use and a couple of places to eat within walking distance.

Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the complex. The parking was right outside our room. The train line goes nearby so if you are a light sleeper it might be worth asking for a room in a different area. Breakfast is a buffet with a good selection of breads, fruit, yoghurt and cereal plus waffle irons. This was a highlight each morning watching everyone trying to work out how to use them. One person poured the syrup straight in rather than the batter!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo A
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night during our trip through the mountains on our holiday after our wedding. We were able to get a deal on the hotel which was great-by looking online! The hotel has a great location, not far off the main highway which is also nice. However we were travelling in the summer months and our room did not have air conditoning, there was a small fan on top of the TV! A small fan! So it was a very uncomfortable sleep to say the least. We then left and continued on our trip home. When we got home a day and half later, I couldn't find my watch and my earrings and figured I must have left them at the hotel. My husband then called the hotel and they said my things were found and they were going to send them in a mail. A week passed and I still did not receive my items. My husband called them many times and they always gave him the run around about there is no manager here, they will call you back, etc. We never received a phone call back and the only time we got an answer was when a manager was on duty when we would call. Every time we talked to a manager they send that the items were sent, and we verified the address. However, we were never provided a tracking number of the item so there is no way to find my items. It is now 4 months later and I'm still without my watch and earrings. I have good faith in our mail system, just think we should have been provided a tracking number for our package (if it ever really was sent....)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed there at the 3rd week of September 2013. The room was at the ground floor next to the entrance to the restaurant and facing the parking lot. It's quite noisy and feeling not good that people could see my room straight whenever I opened the door. I had to keep my curtain down all the time coz the only window is facing the lot too.
Besides, the room is very small. We had 2 languages and we could barely walk in the room.
The TV set is over 15 years old.
Given the price of about $200 at shoulder season, I think it's not worth.
Lastly, the breakfast was okay.

Room Tip: Ask the room size and request for one not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vitus_Chow
Mountaineer L, Manager at Mountaineer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you Vitus_Chow of China for taking the time to share your stay experience. You have provided a good tip on your post regarding the room size and location. We regret that you felt that you didn't have much privacy or space. Yes, the Mountaineer Lodge does have a couple of small rooms with one queen bed on the ground floor. We would have been glad to make a room move for you. We hope that you had a wonderful visit to the Canadian Rockies. Should you return to Canada and to Lake Louise, please let us know you are previous guest and we will accommodate you in one of our more spacious rooms on the second floor.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were lucky enough to be travelling through the Rockies during the shoulder season and almost had the whole place to ourselves, including the lake!! Used the lodge on two occasions as a mid way stop over on our 2 week trip and it was just perfect. Complementary breakfast was sufficent and included tea/coffee, toast, fruit, creal and yogurt. All in all this was a perfect spot.

Room Tip: First level as access to second level is via stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you Kaiser_Jonty_Geel for taking the time to share your stay experience at the Mountaineer Lodge. We feel lucky too to be in the Canadian Rockies, such a beautiful place. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast. Visit us again soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very unprofessional Staff. Did not provide the room with microwave. Even though we asked and want to pay extra. They had rooms available but asked us to contact Booking.com if we want to change room. Very poor service. We had to eat cold and almost frozen fried chicken. Did not even help us to use kitchen microwave. Too pathetic. Will never stay there and never recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you 598yahamatahir for sharing your comments. We are disappointed and saddened that did not receive the service or solution you sought during your stay. It is not our practice to defer you back to the method of booking. Our standard is to do whatever we can to resolve any issues and ensure that our guests are satisfied. Your comments have helped me with training of our staff and ensuring that our service is personal and top notch. Sorry you will not be returning to stay with us again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My partner and I were travelling around BC / Alberta in an RV and needed a bed and bath for the night and whilst near Lake Louise saw Mountaineer Lodge.

Great access to the car park for the RV so stopped and asked about availability and rates.
The receptionist was not very helpful, uninterested and I felt like we had interrupted whatever she had been doing previously. No offer of help with luggage, suggestions for dinner, newspaper or wake up call etc... We asked her about the spa which we saw from the reception desk she told us that it closed at 10PM (It was now 9PM) and didn't re-open until 10AM "But check-out's at 11" - I didn't feel we were made to feel welcome at all, little hospitality.

We tried the spa and it has steam room and jaccuzzi. The jaccuzzi wasn't working!!! But nice area and could exit from this area straight onto our bedroom floor.

The room (despite being told we were checked in to a Queen bed room had 2 King beds in) was large, had microwave and fridge - very useful, iron, hairdryer, tv.
The decor was a little dated (especially the bathroom) but clean.
BE WARNED the corners of the bed are lethal I hit my knee walking past it and it ballooned and is still painful.
We had a room on the side by the train line - not at all peaceful! But we could see the RV from our window.
The beds are made in a very special way...... you have to virtually unravel the top cover to be able to move a pillow and so have to re-make the bed again. I don't know if this is a traditional lodge way but not at all practical.

We got a Military discount however felt over priced for the offer, have stayed in better low priced hotels.

We didn't have breakfast but had been told it was continental.

On checkout the following Morning a different receptionist checked us out (Austrailian I think sorry did not capture her name) and we were met with the same bored, unenthused service. Very disappointing both had no interest and made no effort at all to engage with their customers ie myself and my partner.

There is a fuel garage close-by you can buy any snacks you may like, we did and used the microwave, a good movie night in!

Handy to get to lake Louise from this Lodge but unfortunately I wasnt impressed and wouldnt chose to go back.

Room Tip: Don't remember the number but ask for the side away from the train tracks
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple