“What a view” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“What a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We won a contest from Grey Goose and it included a weekend at Lake Louise Fairmont.
Lake view 1 bedroom suite. We would never have stay there at the rates they charge.
It was a relaxing weekend. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was incredible, with a breathtaking views of the lake and Victoria Glacier.
The couples massage was fantastic. Every area of the hotel was great.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FCLL, Executive Office at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Dale D,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us here at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We are thrilled to read that you had a most enjoyable stay with us!

It is quiet relaxing here in the Rockies, and we are happy that our service staff was able to provide you with friendly hospitality. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Spa regarding the lovely couples massage you received.

We once again thank you for your review and wish you a wonderful rest of your summer!

On behalf of the General Manager at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,895)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

While planninig our journey throughout Canada, we stepped into images of Lake Louise and decided it was a must-visit, even if most of our destinations were in Ontario and Québec. So we decided to stay at this very conveniently located hotel and to choose a very nice room, with lake view, because the view here is really worth the extra-price. Upon our arrival everything went fine, the staff was very kind and helpful and our room was exactly as I expected it to be: big and confortable, central and with a magnificent view from its terrace. The wardrobe was spatious and the bathroom even bigger then I expected, with bath/shower, a double washbasin and a window. Everything perfect, save maybe the fact that it was a little too hot and with no air conditioning. But still we could open the window for some fresh air.
Unfortunately, on the second morning, I noticed that there was water coming from the wall, near some elettrical outlet, so I informed the housekeeping. After a long morning of consultations (with us stuck there waiting), they decided that the problem was serious and needed immediate repair, so we were moved to another room.
Here's where my dreamlike experience ends and disappointment takes its place.
Of course problems may happen and, even if packing and unpacking again was troublesome, we were willing to comply with their urgency to take care of it... BUT we expected at least to be given a similiar room!
Not only because we were the ones negatively affected by the situation (which moreover I had pointed out only to allow them prevent any even worse problem), but also because we had payed for that level of room.
This was by no means the case.
For the rest of our stay we were confined to a much lower standard, much smaller, corner room with only partial view of the lake, from windows that we couldn't even open (and no terrace, of course)! The wardrobe was ridiculous and the bathroom (or bath-cabin) was so small that we could hardly move inside, no place to put or hang anything.
I don't have the habit to complain or make fuss about everything, but that was really frustrating. Moreover we didn't have a word of apology (I could understand that maybe the hotel was fully booked) for the inconvenience.
On the contrary the employee at front desk who gave us keys for this room described it as a beautiful room with special double exposure (a sarcastic comment for its being a corner room?).
And of course the room rate was not reduced! Nor we were given some compensation for the discomfort we were suffering.
When in Ottawa we stayed at a Delta hotel and one night they had to cut off water for some hours (during night time, we didn't even realize it): as a compensation they offered complimentary breakfast to all their guests. Such simple things give guests the impression that their confort is highly considered and leave a very good memory, even if some inconvenience has occurred. But that doesn't seem to be the policy with Fairmont's.
What actually disappointed me the most, however, was the fact that nobody ever asked us if we were pleased with our stay with them, not even at the check-out, that was handled in a very impersonal and careless way, just the opposite of how the check-in had been.
I would have rather say all this directly then and hopefully hear some explanation, but I didn't get a chance.
Which was a real pity under many points of view.
In the first place, that was our first destination of about one month long journey throughout Canada, mostly in major cities where Fairmont has hotels and we had not yet made reservations: we could have chosen to visit all of them, instead of avoiding them.
Second, I had fallen in love with Lake Louise and Banff National Park, and I was already planninig to come back next year for a much longer stay.
Last but not least, my review could have been completely different.
I'm sorry for this long story that is mostly writen in the hope that someone from Fairmont's takes notice of their short-sighted attitude and learn for the future. I will add some more pratical information that could be more useful for TripAdvisor users.
The place (Lake Louise) is beautiful and really worth visiting.
The hotel is beautiful too. And it also has SOME beautiful rooms (most with no air conditioning, though, there is only a fan on the ceiling).
The main problem is that it is huge. And this means there can be quite a lot of people! Everywhere. At breakfast for instance: you may happen to be waiting more than 20/30 minutes before you can be sitted.
It must be added that they provide some juices, coffé, tea and pastry in the waiting room, in order to make the delay less unpleasant.
And it must be added that the breakfast is well worth the patient waiting!
But, on the other side, one can't but consider that the breakfast room is totally under-dimensioned for such a big hotel. And in the waiting room there are not many places to sit, so be preparered to stand up for quite some time, if you hit the wrong moment.
Btw, breakfast is not included in the room rate, but this happens with most hotels in Canada (or at least where I stayed).
Unlike most major hotels, instead, here wifi is NOT included, too.
There are several restaurants (I tried 3 of them: Fairview, Walliser Stube and Poppy Brasserie and all of them were good), but since there are so many people, your choice can be nevertheless very limited, unless you book quite in advance.
They have an indoor pool, whirpool and steam room (and also a fitness center that I didn't use), nice, though not impressive and inevitably rather crowded.
The staff at the concierge is extremely kind and helpful, once you get a chance to speak to them (often busy either with guests in their office or over the phone.
Parking is not cheap, though you can choose beetwin self (cheaper) and valet parking. I also heard it's possible to use a public parking just outside the property, but I never used it.
You will also find a variety of shops there, so if the weather is not good and you want to go shopping, or just take a walk after dinner, you can do it within the hotel.
In the end, as I also read in some other reviews, when staying at hotels of this standard, one would expect a more careful service, that makes you feel that you are a valued guest... which is probably missed due to the very high number of guests they handle all the time.
I can neither recommend nor advise against this hotel.
I know my experience has been influenced by an accident and that, had it not occurred, I would probably be enthusiastic about this hotel, notwithstanding all those little aspects I mentioned. Maybe just because of the view from my terrace, that outbalanced everything else!
But their way of handling the problem, their attitude and carelessness of their guest's discomfort, well... that's just not the way I want to feel when I spend my money on my vacations.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chiara A
FCLL, Executive Assistant at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Chiara A,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here with us The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate all feedback we get, both positive and negative.

I would like to extend my apologies to you are your partner that your stay was not what you had hoped for. I have read through all the issues you have encountered, and can say with no hesitation that your experience was unacceptable. It certainly did not reflect the Fairmont standards, and I do sincerely apologize that we could not rectify the situation while you were here and more so encourage you to please contact us at chateaulakelouise@fairmont.com to continue this discussion with a member of our executive team.

Please note I have notified them about your situation, and they are waiting to hear from you.

On behalf of the General Manager at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We spent two nights at the Chateau Lake Louise this August. We booked through the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program and were thrilled when we were upgraded to an amazing two story suite with a balcony. It was a fantastic room. We were on the gold level which offered great service, food and drinks.

There is so much too see and do between Lake Louise and Jasper. We absolutely loved the area. We did the hike to the Tea House which was wonderful. We had stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs the 5 days before. I wish I would have stayed longer at Lake Louise and less in Banff. We really loved the hotel and will definitely be back again. I would definitely book a room with a lake view next time and I would rent a canoe. We did not have enough time to do all the things we wanted. Good reason to come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. It was a pleasure to read that you had such a great stay with us here at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

The Fairmont Gold is what we like to call a “hotel within our hotel” and as you have experience offers a unique service, hosting breakfast h’orderves in the afternoon and has its very own concierge. I will be sure to relay your ratings on their service to all the members of Fairmont Gold who work diligently to maintain our Fairmont Gold standard!

Lisa S, thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
Mill Creek, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights, July 9 and 10, at the height of the tourist season. Booked through Expedia at such a good rate that we anticipated getting an inferior room in need of updating. Our room was beautiful and had a spectacular view of the lake and mountains. Staff were courteous and pleasant despite the crowds and demands placed on them.

Room Tip: room 239 is on the lake side with a king sized bed and spectacular view. While it is just across fro...
Green Features: Excellent. We appreciate the hotel's attention to environmental issues and keeping this beautiful area as pristine as possible for future generations.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank B H
FCLL, Executive Assistant at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear B H,

Thank you kindly for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us here at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

I particular found the title of your review “Quiet Luxury” to be in fitting with the atmosphere and feel here! Please know I will share your review with the rest of the team, as well as with the Executive members.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

FABULOUS VIEW, 1st look was great. Looking for a computer plug at the bed, well GARBAGE, behind the night table.. BED WORN OUT (NO sleep) by the window of King bed. Heavy comforter, really hot in Aug. Four Pillows- Large, Thick- all FEATHER... SCENTED sheets & toiletries.. DUST in toilet area all around the bottom of the tiny room. Middle of the night, was given a Big Thick Foam pillow.. Still can't get you head on it..(OK for sitting up watching TV) Morning COFFEE was ALL decafe & not Hot.. COLD Shower .. that did it... .(well, Windows & screens by the elevator were Filthy). I told the Concierge, he told me to tell the desk manager, I did.. He took a little bit off the bill.. NOT enough.. the fella on the desk said here's what was charged on my M/C, & handed me the paper saying it would be changed when I got home.. I've been waiting 2 wks.. I called today.. He said he didn't say that.. SO that's calling me a Liar.. I am not impressed... with the room or staff. Restaurant will be a another review... MY POINT - GET IT IN WRITING.. DON'T TRUST THEM...

Room Tip: get a view... check it before you say you will take it... does it have AC?
Green Features: don't know didn't notice anything about it..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Loretta B
Dear Loretta B,

Thank you for your feedback and contacting us directly. We will be in touch shortly.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We enjoy going to Banff. We rented the largest suite, the one on 2 floors with 2 balconies overlooking the lake. A pure delight. This is a fabulous hotel in a unique location.

I just wish there were more activities available. After 3 days, you have seen and done pretty much everything.

A great hotel in a great location,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank ScubaDiver-Traveller
FCLL, Executive Office at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear ScubaDiver-Traveller,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate all our guests’ comments both positive and negative, as it helps us serve you and our future guests better.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your suite and the wonderful view you must have had from the balcony.

I do apologize that you may not have been informed by our staff members the vast array of activities and itineraries we do have for our guests. There are dozens of trails here in Lake Louise which you can hike alongside a heritage guide, or if you prefer on horseback! Each one of these trails have distinguished scenic beauty to be enjoyed.

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

What an amazing place! I can't start to describe just how beautiful it is. The view from the bedroom didn't look real, it looked like a painting! The hotel itself is very well furnished with excellent rooms. We dined in the Saloon as we were too tired to dress for dinner, the food and service were very good.

Room Tip: A lake view is a must.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 4Dreamers
Dear 4Dreamers,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We enjoyed reading that your experience with us was a wonderful one! Please know I will be sure to share your comments with the Manger of the Glacier Saloon as well as his team.