“Beautiful setting, OK hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Verona, Wisconsin
“Beautiful setting, OK hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

You absolutely cannot beat the view at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. The lake is stunning, and changes colors during the day. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the staff is helpful. We were told on check in that we could upgrade to a lakeside view and get air conditioning for $75. We thought that was a little cheesy but the view was worth it (even though the air conditioning didn't work as promised). Italian restaurant was just Ok.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FCLL, Executive Assistant at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate hearing back from our guests with any and all feedback.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the wonderful view that Lake Louise has to offer as well as our hotel. I do apologize that you found your dining experience at Lago to be less than you had hoped for.

Please feel free to contact us directly at chateaulakelouise@fairmont.com to further discuss your dining experaince .

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

On behalf of the General Manager Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,896)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

It's full of turist like Disney Land
No AC so if you are staying there for summer you will sweat like a pig. Very small windows !! Very very small.After 9 all the restaurants are closed there is only one restaurant open and they won't let you sit outside even in summer beacuse its dark outside. You have only one option to sit in side in a very dark and unfriendly restaurant. The front desk personel is over talkative. The best thing in this hotel is the view. It's not worth to stay here. You can take a day trip and stay in Bunff.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Nazli Y
FCLL, Executive Office at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Nazli Y,

Thank you for your review on the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate all feedback, both negative and positive.

We do apologize that your stay was not all you had hoped it to be. Please know that I will share your comments with the Director of Rooms as well as Front Desk in regards to the A/C issues and the lack of customer service you experienced.

Please feel free to contact us directly at chateaulakelouise@fairmont.com to further discuss your stay. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise in the future.

On behalf of the General Manager Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at the Chateau a few nights ago for a wedding at the hotel. I was a little unsure of the quality of this hotel when, even though there were at least six people at the front desk, not one approached myself or the guest in front of me. Not a "hello", not a "someone will be right with you", nothing. This went on for about ten minutes, they were just doing whatever, while we waited. At $600 a night, this was unacceptable. I finally asked someone who walked by, and she said
the staff had just come from a meeting and were "firing up" their computers. Pardon me? Your staff is not trained to say hello, we'll be right with you? It was as if we didn't exit. I had recently returned from five weeks in Europe staying in 3, 4 and 5 star hotels, and at the very least, I was always greeted by front of the line staff. They compensated us by giving me 24 hours free WiFi. A small issue to fix, but treating guest well is number one.
The hotel itself is lovely, the beds were comfortable, the room was quite large (we had upgraded) and the water in the shower was hot. The upgrade was to a mountain view room and once we were there we wondered where the rooms were without a view. The hotel is in the middle of the mountains, most, if not all rooms must have a view. The main reason for staying here was to celebrate with friends who were married in front of the lake. It was incredible. No other words to describe having a wedding here. If you can afford it, do it. As guests, my husband and I were blown away. The setting, the staff, the attention to detail, all first class. We were treated to appetizers after the ceremony, what a view from that room! Then on to the Victoria Ballroom for the meal. Outstanding. This is a meal my husband and I are still talking about, five days later. The next morning we had breakfast in the Poppy Room, amazing view and great food. However I can't comment on the buffet, I never order it, at the price I'm paying I want the food prepared just before I eat it, not sitting on a buffet table for ten to fifteen minutes. My husband had a sandwich from the deli for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I was happy to have experienced it this time and I would recommend it for the experience and the proximity to hiking and skiing if this is in your snack bracket.

Room Tip: We were in room 472, we did not face the lake, our mountain view included the entrance to the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Susanjl_12,

Thank you kindly for your review of The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative, and appreciate the time you took to write your feedback.

Please know that I have shared your comments with the Director of Front Office regarding the unacceptable lack of customer service you have received upon checking in. I assure you that this is not up to par with our Fairmont standards, and will be followed up on internally.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the Wedding ceremony by Lake Louise, as well as your dining experience in the Victoria Ballroom. It is a breathtaking memory and a moment that lasts a while witnessing a marriage by the Lake and Glaciers!

Thank you once again for your review and choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This one of my bucket list - third visit to Lake Louise and first time staying at the Fairmont. Had a lovely room overlooking the lake which was very comfortable. This hotel is not cheap but well worth a visit - there are several restaurants from expensive to affordable so caters for most folk.
The only downfall was that it was very hot and no air conditioning. We had an amazing stay and the whole experience was wonderful - what it would have been like to stay there when it was first opened!!!

Room Tip: Lake view - middle floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sanfran
Dear sanfran,

Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay with The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We are happy to read that you are no able to cross us off your bucket list, and are left with a memorable experience.

I do apologize that your room was too hot, and that no portable air conditioning unit was provided to you. I will be sure to relay this particular comment with the Director of Front Office, and ensure his team is letting every guest without air conditioning units know that we do offer portable ones.

Thank you again for your feedback as well as choosing The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Sunbury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

the hotel is fantastic with all facilities except you have to pay for internet unless you become a Fairmont member which is free. We had a room with no view however as we only stayed one night it did not worry us

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear AlbertA1948,

Thank you for posting a review on The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

We are happy to read that you had a great stay! As well, I will be sure to relay your comments about the cost of internet to our Director of Operations for review.

We thank you again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We won a contest from Grey Goose and it included a weekend at Lake Louise Fairmont.
Lake view 1 bedroom suite. We would never have stay there at the rates they charge.
It was a relaxing weekend. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was incredible, with a breathtaking views of the lake and Victoria Glacier.
The couples massage was fantastic. Every area of the hotel was great.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
Dear Dale D,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us here at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We are thrilled to read that you had a most enjoyable stay with us!

It is quiet relaxing here in the Rockies, and we are happy that our service staff was able to provide you with friendly hospitality. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Spa regarding the lovely couples massage you received.

We once again thank you for your review and wish you a wonderful rest of your summer!

Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

While planninig our journey throughout Canada, we stepped into images of Lake Louise and decided it was a must-visit, even if most of our destinations were in Ontario and Québec. So we decided to stay at this very conveniently located hotel and to choose a very nice room, with lake view, because the view here is really worth the extra-price. Upon our arrival everything went fine, the staff was very kind and helpful and our room was exactly as I expected it to be: big and confortable, central and with a magnificent view from its terrace. The wardrobe was spatious and the bathroom even bigger then I expected, with bath/shower, a double washbasin and a window. Everything perfect, save maybe the fact that it was a little too hot and with no air conditioning. But still we could open the window for some fresh air.
Unfortunately, on the second morning, I noticed that there was water coming from the wall, near some elettrical outlet, so I informed the housekeeping. After a long morning of consultations (with us stuck there waiting), they decided that the problem was serious and needed immediate repair, so we were moved to another room.
Here's where my dreamlike experience ends and disappointment takes its place.
Of course problems may happen and, even if packing and unpacking again was troublesome, we were willing to comply with their urgency to take care of it... BUT we expected at least to be given a similiar room!
Not only because we were the ones negatively affected by the situation (which moreover I had pointed out only to allow them prevent any even worse problem), but also because we had payed for that level of room.
This was by no means the case.
For the rest of our stay we were confined to a much lower standard, much smaller, corner room with only partial view of the lake, from windows that we couldn't even open (and no terrace, of course)! The wardrobe was ridiculous and the bathroom (or bath-cabin) was so small that we could hardly move inside, no place to put or hang anything.
I don't have the habit to complain or make fuss about everything, but that was really frustrating. Moreover we didn't have a word of apology (I could understand that maybe the hotel was fully booked) for the inconvenience.
On the contrary the employee at front desk who gave us keys for this room described it as a beautiful room with special double exposure (a sarcastic comment for its being a corner room?).
And of course the room rate was not reduced! Nor we were given some compensation for the discomfort we were suffering.
When in Ottawa we stayed at a Delta hotel and one night they had to cut off water for some hours (during night time, we didn't even realize it): as a compensation they offered complimentary breakfast to all their guests. Such simple things give guests the impression that their confort is highly considered and leave a very good memory, even if some inconvenience has occurred. But that doesn't seem to be the policy with Fairmont's.
What actually disappointed me the most, however, was the fact that nobody ever asked us if we were pleased with our stay with them, not even at the check-out, that was handled in a very impersonal and careless way, just the opposite of how the check-in had been.
I would have rather say all this directly then and hopefully hear some explanation, but I didn't get a chance.
Which was a real pity under many points of view.
In the first place, that was our first destination of about one month long journey throughout Canada, mostly in major cities where Fairmont has hotels and we had not yet made reservations: we could have chosen to visit all of them, instead of avoiding them.
Second, I had fallen in love with Lake Louise and Banff National Park, and I was already planninig to come back next year for a much longer stay.
Last but not least, my review could have been completely different.
I'm sorry for this long story that is mostly writen in the hope that someone from Fairmont's takes notice of their short-sighted attitude and learn for the future. I will add some more pratical information that could be more useful for TripAdvisor users.
The place (Lake Louise) is beautiful and really worth visiting.
The hotel is beautiful too. And it also has SOME beautiful rooms (most with no air conditioning, though, there is only a fan on the ceiling).
The main problem is that it is huge. And this means there can be quite a lot of people! Everywhere. At breakfast for instance: you may happen to be waiting more than 20/30 minutes before you can be sitted.
It must be added that they provide some juices, coffé, tea and pastry in the waiting room, in order to make the delay less unpleasant.
And it must be added that the breakfast is well worth the patient waiting!
But, on the other side, one can't but consider that the breakfast room is totally under-dimensioned for such a big hotel. And in the waiting room there are not many places to sit, so be preparered to stand up for quite some time, if you hit the wrong moment.
Btw, breakfast is not included in the room rate, but this happens with most hotels in Canada (or at least where I stayed).
Unlike most major hotels, instead, here wifi is NOT included, too.
There are several restaurants (I tried 3 of them: Fairview, Walliser Stube and Poppy Brasserie and all of them were good), but since there are so many people, your choice can be nevertheless very limited, unless you book quite in advance.
They have an indoor pool, whirpool and steam room (and also a fitness center that I didn't use), nice, though not impressive and inevitably rather crowded.
The staff at the concierge is extremely kind and helpful, once you get a chance to speak to them (often busy either with guests in their office or over the phone.
Parking is not cheap, though you can choose beetwin self (cheaper) and valet parking. I also heard it's possible to use a public parking just outside the property, but I never used it.
You will also find a variety of shops there, so if the weather is not good and you want to go shopping, or just take a walk after dinner, you can do it within the hotel.
In the end, as I also read in some other reviews, when staying at hotels of this standard, one would expect a more careful service, that makes you feel that you are a valued guest... which is probably missed due to the very high number of guests they handle all the time.
I can neither recommend nor advise against this hotel.
I know my experience has been influenced by an accident and that, had it not occurred, I would probably be enthusiastic about this hotel, notwithstanding all those little aspects I mentioned. Maybe just because of the view from my terrace, that outbalanced everything else!
But their way of handling the problem, their attitude and carelessness of their guest's discomfort, well... that's just not the way I want to feel when I spend my money on my vacations.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chiara A
Dear Chiara A,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here with us The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We appreciate all feedback we get, both positive and negative.

I would like to extend my apologies to you are your partner that your stay was not what you had hoped for. I have read through all the issues you have encountered, and can say with no hesitation that your experience was unacceptable. It certainly did not reflect the Fairmont standards, and I do sincerely apologize that we could not rectify the situation while you were here and more so encourage you to please contact us at chateaulakelouise@fairmont.com to continue this discussion with a member of our executive team.

Please note I have notified them about your situation, and they are waiting to hear from you.

On behalf of the General Manager at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise