“Amazing & Memorable Experience!”

Timberline Tours Ltd. - Private Day Tours
Ranked #4 of 5 Tours in Lake Louise
Reviewed 15 July 2013

During our trip to Banff and Lake Louise, my mother and I took the 3.5 hour tour of Lake Agnes & The Little Beehive with Timberline Tours. It turned out to be an extremely memorable experience from which I shall keep a fond recollection for years to come.

The scenery was breathtaking and our guide, Amy, was absolutely wonderful! Though the climb was steep and the horses, at times, follow a rather narrow ledge around the cliffs, our horses were extremely sure-footed and Amy made us feel safe by always looking back to ensure that everyone was doing okay.

What's really nice about this company is that they only take small groups, so you get a much more personalised and laid back experience. The owner, Sue, takes great care to match the horses with the riders, and I was lucky enough to get to ride a wonderful Norwegian Fjord Horse named Eric. All five horses used on our trail ride had great temperaments and seemed to know the trail very well.

This is definitely a ‘must do’ activity when visiting Lake Louise!!!

3  Thank Jamie_Madden
There are newer reviews for Timberline Tours Ltd. - Private Day Tours

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I try to be very honest when reviewing so hopefully it helps other visitors. I've had horses since I was 3 years old and ridden in various countries when travelling so my average rating is based on comparisons and expectations. If there was a better than average but not very good button I would do that.

The 2 hour trail that I did was pretty much a there and back trip not really circuitous and the views are limited as you are riding a trail that goes through woods. This is an observation not a criticism. You get a brief lovely view of the lake at the half way point but other than that it's trees. Its also full of walkers and tourists so if you are going to just ride that's fine, but if outstanding views and seclusion throughout are your primary objective you may want to consider an alternative trail.

The horses were well mannered enough, mine spooked a couple of times which was a little un-nerving on steep sections but in general the horses seemed to follow nose to tail. The horses did seem a little bored and probably do the same route quite frequently this may work well for non riders but may make others feel a little guilty for "burdening" horse with another trip.

The guide was friendly enough but I could not hear her throughout so any instructions or information were missed. A couple of the girls on the yard volunteered to take photos of everyone before they set out which was nice.

At $80 per person it didn't feel good value for money as other activities go but then horses need a lot of looking after....

The main yard is functional, a little haphazard looking when you drive in but staff all seem helpful and capable and horses seemed in ok condition if a little bored of plodding round the same trails which is inevitable.

Watch out for mosquitos - there are LOTS and take a coat it's nippy.

3  Thank M1SS_G1GGLES
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had a wonderful time on our tour. We did the five hour tour, but it ended up being longer because we asked to go add the ride to the Little Beehive. They were very accomodating. Time at the little Beehive? Sure. Time at the teahouse? Sure. Time to stop and take some pictures? sure. The horses were sure-footed in some difficult terrain. The horses walk, but it isn't practical for them to do anything else as you're climbing up a mountain. We had great weather and magnificent views. This ride was certainly not boring! We've gone on many other horseback rides in many other locations and even spent a week at a guest ranch in Colorado. This ride ranks as one of the best we've had anywhere. Sue was very helpful as we were making decisions before we came to the area. Our guide was experienced with the horses and made sure that we were safe on the ride. She answered our questions, but allowed us time to just enjoy the scenery without talking the entire time. We had a great time and it was a terrific way to see the trails as an alternative to hiking.

3  Thank TripTeacher
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We do love horseback rides and were looking forward to a mountain ride, but we found the tour to the teahouse a bit of a bore. Other than going up steep hills, you would hardly know you were in the mountains and not just in the woods.

2  Thank Tina W
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

My wife, 16 year old daughter and I took the 5 hour horseback riding trip. It was absolutely amazing. We haveall rriddena llittle before, I'm the most novice only riding once before and my wife and daughter have only been out a few times. Our guide, Louisa, was extremely helpful and answered all our questions and was consistent in looking back and checking that we were ok. I also enjoyed the fact that she just let us enjoy the peacefulness of the woods and didn't feel like she had to fill the trip with constant chatter like other tours we've been on. Other reviewers have mentioned the mud and we saw some but it was only in a couple of places. Our horses were surefooted and I felt very comfortable with my family being on them. There were a couple of challenging places and our bottoms were a little sore the next day, but the adventure and scenery were definitely worth it. We would have never hiked these trails on our own.

1  Thank Todd S