“Great Place.....”
Review of Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

Num-Ti-Jah Lodge
“Great Place.....”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Overall the accommodations of this place were really quite lovely and in tune with 'old charm'. The bathroom did leave much, much to be desired but the surroundings more than made up for it!!! The hike to the waterfalls was one of the most incredible experiences we had as a family of four with two small kids ages 6 and 8. We had a blast going on this hike and took magnificent pictures. At the onsite restaurant, Breakfast left much to be desired and was rather tasteless but extremely expensive and dinner although delicious was very, very, very pricey for a family of four. Children food options options were not indicated and when I asked for a bowl of pasta with butter (since I did not wish to spend $30-$40 on available entree items for my young children) it cost a whopping $15 for my six year old and was a very small portion which he gobbled up in no time. If there were other restaurant options nearby, we would have rather done that, but there were none close by.

Room Tip: Our room was rather large on the third floor and great for our family of four (Two Queen Beds) Bathr...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Can't rent a canoe there, no water sports on the lake. Not ideal if you were hoping to canoe/kayak. The rooms should be updated - I know it's supposed to have a historical charm but you can be historical and still be relevant. The Internet costs $10 per 24 hours and doesnt even work half the time! The rooms are not to the standard considering how much they cost.

Dinner on the other hand was amazing but not many options for vegetarians or dieters of any kind.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Ladylaurendh

Travellers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My wife and I, with a friend, have enjoyed coffee and snacks at this lodge in February of years past, so I know they have been open in winter in years gone by. On this trip we found the place closed and boarded up for the cold season, but later noticed that the lodge's web site promises a reopening in the spring. Meanwhile, the place's surroundings are still gorgeous during the season of ice and snow, and worth a brief stop to check out. (But do respect the fact that the lodge is private property, and stay off the grounds proper, even if there are no signs specifically forbidding a closer look than I and my telephoto lens took. You'd want your own property treated that way!)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnArborMiBob
Num-Ti-Jah, Public Relations Manager at Num-Ti-Jah Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
You are correct, we are only open from the May long weekend to the October long weekend. We thank-you for respecting the lodge during our shutdown period. We hope to see you in the summer season!
Toronto
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Here is a hotel that you could tell was once grand, but those days are gone. The location is magnificent, with views of the lake, Bow Glacier and Falls.
However, the hotel, although it oozes charm is in dire need of refurbishment. We had asked for a room away from the generator, but were given a room facing the generator. We went down to complain, and immediately we were given a room on the other side. The windows are very tiny as was the bathroom which had a metal shower stall. The furniture was bits and pieces, some nice, some not. We had one dinner there, which was okay. The bar is only open during dinner and it had no gin! It was a little strange to eat with all the stuffed animal heads watching. It is true that during the day bus loads of tourists arrive, but by late afternoon, this stops. It is also unfortunate that the parking lot is between the hotel and the lovely view. The place is definitely overpriced for the state of the accommodations.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the generator!
4 Thank GeminiDream
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Strip away the location, history,and seduction marketing - this is a truly horrible place to spend a night. It's sited in a massive tourist carpark just off the main road that brings coachloads in who all walk through and around the lodge. The rooms are still in 70s decor with awful polystyrene tiles and old bathrooms. The walls are so thin you will hear the every word and thump and bang of your neighboring guests. The food was so tasteless neither of us finished our meal. The staff are polite and helpful. But the cost of the room and food padded on top is unbelievably overpriced and it is definately not worth spending money here. Go somewhere else better instead. Sorry to be harsh but the truth can be harsh.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank susiefromEngland
Num-Ti-Jah, Guest Relations Manager at Num-Ti-Jah Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We are glad you enjoyed the location. Our menu this year was designed by our resident Red Seal Chef who has returned for his third year at the lodge. We are renowned for our delicious and hearty meals. We are sorry that you didn't have a positive dining experience. Please email us the date of your stay and menu items so that we can address what may have happened. Our pricing is a reality of operating in a remote location. As we generate our own power, maintain our own water system, have satellite communications and house all of our staff our costs are much higher than operating in an urban setting. We thank-you for your input and hope that you enjoyed your trip through the Canadian Rockies.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I recently had our honeymoon and stopped here for two nights. We had read all of the reviews so we felt like we knew what we were getting ourselves into. We wanted to get away from the crowds, stay in a truly rustic spot, and the location/scenery seemed perfect.

Isolated it is not. It is a stop on most tour bus routes, making getting in and out of the lodge a huge headache in the morning and afternoons, attempting to get around the twenty something tour buses and all the old tourists on them attempting to take pictures of bow lake and going to the gift shop. It is very crowded and loud until about 7PM when they all leave.

When I made the reservations I informed them it was our honeymoon. I asked for the king/lakeside view room. Like I said I felt I was prepared and had set a pretty good expectation (wasn't expecting champagne, free dinner/dessert, or handwritten card as we had gotten at most places), but we did not even get a Happy Honeymoon, congratulations from the staff. Speaking of staff let's start there, as that seemed to be a HUGE disappointment.
The four staff that seemed to be "present" the entire time we were there were 20 something girls from foreign countries who did not seem to speak English very well and were extremely rude. They seemed annoyed at any request and when they were not working were hanging out in the common areas complaining about guests taking up common area space where guests could be hanging out.

To forewarn you, there is no elevator, so if you are on the third floor, you or one of these poor young girls is hefting your luggage to your room. Now I had no expectation of the room, but when you brag that there is always a hot shower, make sure A- it is actually hot, and B- the water pressure is more than a drop per minute, and C- that you have more than a sheet for a shower curtain because it sprays water all over the place (hence the mold build up in the bathroom). The room was large, but let's get real people, can you call that a lake view? If you sit at the corner of the room desk in the one chair they provide you in the room, then yes you have a lakeview. Otherwise, you are staring at 100 year old wood panelling, noticing all the places it has been patched due to decay on the walls (I counted 15 total). To get a true lake view without the lodge in the picture, I had to open the window (which by the way has no screen and you are told not to open the windows) and crane my neck to get the picture I wanted.

The latest dinner reservation is at 7:45 so we took that (much to the displeasure of the staff). Our waitress attempted to rush us through dinner in fifteen minutes, even after telling her we were celebrating our honeymoon she looked at us like "I don't care, eat!" We were so frustrated with her that we shared an entree, spaghetti (that was what enticed us on the menu- which says a lot to foodies like us) and left. Just an FYI as well, though this place has the most spectacular view of one of the most beautiful lakes, and it has placed its parking lot directly in front of the lake blocking any chance of a view while seated at dinner, the common area, or most rooms.

Since staff was hanging out in the common areas and you cannot drink in common areas, my husband and I were forced to hang out in our room. My husband not being one for that, pulled our one chair out into the hallway (since we were at the end of the hallway on the top floor I could then sit on the landing- which led to a boarded up wall to some floor above us and him on the chair)....though I felt like Ann Frank banished to the attic- we made the most of it by drinking, playing cards, and listening to music.

The next morning we came down for breakfast and were greeted by a new angry staff person that seemed annoyed we came in for breakfast at 9:20 when breakfast ended at 9:30. She refused to clean off a table by the window stating that she needed to keep that open for the lunch crowd. She rushed us through breakfast, my husband's potatoes were not even cooked, straight up still frozen hashbrowns.

He said right then and there we are not returning for dinner tonight. That day we had planned to trek up to Jasper and do some day hikes along the way. I ran upstairs to grab my camera battery as I had plugged it in the night before to get a full charge. Well half way through the day, my camera died. When I got back to the room, I checked the outlet and realized that it was not working. I was furious at this point as we saw several bears, other wildlife moments, oh and let's not forget stopping at Honeymoon Lake to capture our honeymoon with no ability to photograph ourselves there.

It was a nice afternoon, so my husband and I decided to sit on the adirondack chairs in the parking lot overlooking the lake and play scrabble. Again, the staff not working the same four girls were hanging out there making it really uncomfortable. So we went back up to our attic to hang out for the evening.

We left first thing in the morning. It was truly a stain on our honeymoon!

The ONLY reason this place gets one star is because of its location. It is beautiful and perfectly situated between Banff and Jasper.

6 Thank Diana M
We would like to congratulate you again on your honeymoon. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the lodge. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip through the Canadian Rockies. All of our common areas, dining room and even the cafe are licensed premises, were sorry for the misunderstanding. We are sad to hear that our staff did not make every attempt to make your stay great, we pride ourselves in having friendly and personable staff. We thank-you for your input and wish you and your husband a long and rewarding marriage.
Altamont, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We recently stayed here 1 night...which was enough. As mentioned by other reviewers, the location and history can't be beat! The common areas are beautiful. However, the rooms are very basic. Small metal shower, which was ok for 1 morning. What was less ok was the bed/mattress, which was saggy. No screens in the windows means you can't leave the windows open when you're not in the room, b/c according to the posted sign, a raven will enter and scavenge! We had the best breakfast of our 9 day trip here though...great french toast, seated in front of a window overlooking the lake. Dinner on the other hand was very so-so. So, in summary, I'm glad we stayed here, b/c it's so historic and interesting and a lovely setting...but I'm glad it was only for 1 night.

3 Thank Kathryn G
Thank-you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed the location and history. There are removable screens available for the windows we are sorry we did not properly communicate that to you during your stay. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip through the Canadian Rockies!