Sincerely apologize for the lateness of this review. I travelled with a girl friend during last years Calgary Stampede and we based ourselves at Shangarry for our two-week stay in/around Alberta and were just made to feel at home from the second we set foot on the doorstep. (Truth be known that us 'crazy Aussie girls' took over Josephine's home during this time). :-)
I don't know where to begin when trying to express our experience and rating/thoughts on Shangarry. It truly is the best B&B I've ever stayed at - ever, and I genuinely mean that. I've travelled through Europe, America, Asia, Australia and Canada and this is the top of the list by far. It exceeds all expectations!
What makes it stand out? Hosts, Josephine and Rhagu that's what/who. They are absolutely AMAZING! There's a reason they're in this business. They have a passion and love for it that just radiates throughout your whole stay. I hope you chose to book here so you can experience what we did.
* Josephine's breakfasts are sensational (and just like the photo's). Every day was different and incredibly delicious, filling, wholesome and a great for you to start your day. Pancakes, eggs, granola, fruit and the list goes on. The tea, coffee and options of fresh juice alone were amazing. The presentation of the breakfast and room each morning was something in itself to look forward too.
* During our stay, we slept in every bed in every room (as we came and went) and they were all incredibly comfortable, clean and homey so you can't go wrong. the showers were great too. Fear not if you've forgotten something (toiletries etc.) as Josephine has anything you could need on standby.
* Raghu's garden is just incredible to enjoy on a Summer's morning or afternoon whilst chilling to read a book, enjoy your own company or theirs.
* The location is in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood about 10 mins on the train into town (please don't be put off by this as it was an extremely nice, easy and quick to walk to the station (or Josephine often drove us to the station if she was available to do so) and inexpensive journey also). There is a big shopping centre about 5 mins walk from the B&B also which was nice to explore. There are also a few bus stops close by. Any questions, just ask Josephine and she'll have you sorted in no time.
* If you want peace and quiet - you've got it, and if you want a chat and friendship that's here too. On more than one occasion we sat down with Josephine and Raghu and chatted, laughed and had a drink/nightcap. We were so grateful to share an evening dinner with them also. They became our friends during our stay.
* They truly go above and beyond and nothing is a problem. This was the highlight of our Calgary experience and I would honestly go back just to stay at Shangarry. As a previous guest has stated, you are a national treasure, Josephine. Thank you for everything!
* Unfortunately my friend was sick when we first arrived and the care and compassion they showed was incredible and had her back on her feet in no time.
* Oh and we loved Titus too (their cute little dog).
I've tried to capture most things to convey our experience. Look no further, this is THE place to stay in Calgary (and very affordable also).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangarry is a luxurious bed & breakfast set in Calgary's leafy Willow Park neighbourhood, Shangarry is your home away from home. Shangarry is close to Spruce Meadows and many of Calgary's attractions and just a quick walk to Southcentre mall, many restaurants and the Trico Centre for Family Wellness. The pleasant landscaped gardens of this B&B feature an outdoor patio and overlook a private golf course. Your Irish hostess Josephine takes pride in making Shangarry Bed & Breakfast your gateway to a truly relaxing visit to Calgary. ... more less