“Food was good but...”

Ranked #537 of 3,875 Restaurants in Calgary
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Neighbourhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed 20 August 2018

We went for Sunday evening family meal. The meal arrived in a timely manner and was good. We ordered a dish that included pork, onions, cucumber and sauce that went with pancakes. It was very good but we ran out of pancakes; we asked for more and were told 'no - the order of pancakes is too big for the amount you have left'. I have never been refused food in a restaurant before. The other more disturbing concern was the chef could be seen, and heard, in the kitchen with a battery powered swatter, zapping insects (flys? - not sure but not appetizimng). Not sure I would recommend or go back.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We made a reservation on Sunday and ordered 6 dishes. 1st dish was the Peking duck and we than had to wait half an hour for the second dish , which was celery fried with fish fillet. After this , we waited for almost an hour and what ticked me off was that there were tables around us that were there at the same time as us or came after us and they were almost at the end of their meal. We kept calling the waitress and she kept saying she will check. Finally after 1.5 hours of waiting, we went up to the cashier and asked for the bill . She was not happy that we were leaving but she did not offer any apology at all. Just presented us with a bill for $73.00 (which is astronomically high for 2 dishes). Never again will we go to this restaurant and I will make sure that I mention this in my blog to all my friends, family and readers.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

It's nice to see that Central Grand Restaurant still pushes the carts around for dim sum. There is an elevator in the mall to use, to get to the second floor, or there are limited parking spot on the second floor.

we arrived just before 1100AM on Saturday morning and the mall parking lot was somewhat full, so we just parked on the street. We were seated right away, but there was a small line up closer to noon.

The food was ffresh and tasty and there was a good variety coming around. I dont remember how many dishes we had, but the 5 of us were full in under an hour. Not many items came around more than a couple of times, so other people were getting them.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

First...you don't come here for the service during a busy time (or mostly anyway)... it's not white glove or attentive but you can be sure there are a lot of servers and people working who are constantly walking around, so you can ask for what you want and they will bring it. Smiles are optional.

Dim sum....traditional, tasty, it's pricier but has a lot of variety, and I wasn't disappointed whenever I ate here. They offer a large amount of food and I am somewhat amazed it comes out fairly fast for how busy they can be. If its busy may take a bit longer but you won't be without food on the table while you wait.

So....good food, busy place, enjoy the cuisine and dont worry about service as much. You will get your food with or without a smile and it will taste the same!

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

One of the best Chinese Resturant in Calgary, although price may be average higher than the other, but the side of the dishes are big and quality are excellent . Peking duck is the most flavour dishes and portions are good enough to serve 8-10 people.