“Conflicted on the experience....”

Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 10 "A" Street
Transit: Close to Sunnyside C-train station
Description: Chef's Table is a CAA four-diamond award-winning upscale 40-seat restaurant residing at the Kensington Riverside Inn, Calgary's only Relais & Chateaux property. Chef's Table is one of Calgary's top fine-dining establishments, serving modern French cuisine in a uniquely memorable dining experience. Chef de Cuisine Michel Nop showcases his passion for food in our open concept kitchen. Enjoy breakfast, dinner or weekend brunch in our intimate 40-seat restaurant. Dine indoors or sit outside on our patio overlooking the Bow River, open seasonally from mid-May through September. Be sure to ask about our ever-changing tasting menus with wine pairings. Passing through the neighbourhood? ... Chef's Table is available for special events, receptions and weddings.
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stay at the Kensington Riverside Inn on a fairly regular basis and decided to try the Chef's Table. Their tasing menu looked interesting, but I wasn't that hungry and decided to order off of the menu. The food came at a good pace, and was creative and well done. Their wine list had some nice vintages if you know what to look for. I would rate it 4/5 for the food.

The problem was the service. The waiter was a pleasant enough young man, but asked way too many personal and intrusive questions. I like a little bit of chit-chat, but there are some things that are off limits. He wasn't offensive, just overlyfamiliar and presumptuous.

The food was good though, and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the place, so I may try it again.

3  Thank BrWayne
WernaMaurer, General Manager at Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Good afternoon Mr. Wayne,

I would like to thank you for your regular patronage of the Kensington Riverside Inn, and for your informative review of your recent dining experience at Chef's Table. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Without your honest feedback we would not be able to coach our staff to improve their service and in turn, your experience at Chef's Table. We take great pride in our reputation, and are lucky enough to have staff who are passionate and loyal, therefore, when an opportunity such as this arises, we welcome the challenge to correct it. I do hope we may host you again in the very near future!

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2013

This was the first time at the Chef's Table and what a surprise. The food was excellent and the service was top notch. I will return for sure. Some of the best food I have had in Calgary.

1  Thank RPATT
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for years. We finally decided on a boys night we would splurge for a good meal. This is a beautiful restaurant in a fantastic location. I counted maybe 12 tables, and when we arrived a large christmas party was going on in the lobby area. They had set up a large table. What a great idea for a party! The service is truly very good. Its non intrusive, prompt, and polite. The food takes time, but its a great place to spend an evening with good wine and good conversation! The waiter recommended some excellent dishes, and turned us away from ones he didnt recommend. That is true honest service. I had the Guinea fowl. delicious! Its an expensive fine dining restaurant, with no attitude. Its worth a visit!

2  Thank manium
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We were searching for a place to eat on a blustery October night in Calgary and drove by this place. A quick look at Trip Advisor and we called to see if they had room. The restaurant was quiet (two other tables) but it was very nicely laid out with few tables and a great view of the kitchen. Unfortunately it seems that there had been a run on certain dishes as three of the menu items that our table had requested were no longer available. We picked alternatives and were not disappointed with the exception of the lobster soup that two of our guests found too salty and a very rich combination with the cheese. The plate of beets was fantastic! Arctic Char was very good and the presentation was beautiful. The waiter had a great sense of humor and was very attentive. I would like to give this place another try and stay in the hotel. The meal was very relaxing and unhurried but it didn't feel like we were waiting (perhaps the second bottle of wine).

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Food was amazing! Chef's take pride in their culinary creations! Such a neat experience watching them prepare and plate the meals in front of the guests.