“lived up to the hype”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 10 "A" Street
Transit: Close to Sunnyside C-train station
Description: Chef's Table is a CAA four-diamond award-winning upscale 40-seat restaurant residing at the Kensington Riverside Inn, Calgary's only Relais & Chateaux property. Chef's Table is one of Calgary's top fine-dining establishments, serving modern French cuisine in a uniquely memorable dining experience. Chef de Cuisine Michel Nop showcases his passion for food in our open concept kitchen. Enjoy breakfast, dinner or weekend brunch in our intimate 40-seat restaurant. Dine indoors or sit outside on our patio overlooking the Bow River, open seasonally from mid-May through September. Be sure to ask about our ever-changing tasting menus with wine pairings. Passing through the neighbourhood? ... Chef's Table is available for special events, receptions and weddings.
“lived up to the hype”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have been meaning to get to Chef's Table for a while as we had heard and read so many great things about it. When we finally got there it was worth the wait. My wife and I had hoped to try the tasting menu with the wine pairing but our guests thought that they may not like some of the dishes so we went to the a la carte menu. Not many choices but really something for everyone. Every dish from the chestnut soup and the squash ravioli to the wild boar shank and fritter, the wagyu beef short ribs and the tagine chicken to the pear and citrus desserts were beautifully cooked, very flavourful, wonderfully presented. Service was great throughout the evening. Our waiter made several beer and wine recommendations all of which were spot on. We'll be back so we can try the tasting menu but maybe we'll try the brunch next.

• Visited January 2014

Taber, Canada
“An excellent evening”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I are fortunate to be able to travel extensively. I have a goal to dine at the top 50 restaurants in the world and to date we have done 12 of the place on this years list. We have a vacation home in Las Vegas and frequent some very good place there as well. We have had some incredible experiences and have now come to expect good things from top rated places like the Chef's Table. Our experience Saturday night did not disappoint.

We went early, 5:30 because we wanted to catch an 8pm hockey game. The first thing I have to mention is the service. Some of the best we have every had. From the hostess to the waiter they were well trained and treated us excellent. This is a small place set for 22 people the night we were there. One male waiter and the female hostess handled the whole room along with chef Ly watching the room from the open kitchen where the plating counter faces the dining room. From what I saw no one was not taken care of very well that evening. Our waiter even made the drinks and poured the wine for the tasting menu. He was also very fun, testing me on the varietal and style of wine he poured me for the premium paring. We had great fun.

Chef Ly was in the house managing the staff to deliver course after course of very well cooked and presented food. I recall the peas and veal tongue. The peas were sweet and fresh like eating them from the garden and the veal tongue, my first was seasoned nicely and went perfectly with peas and radish slices. The fish course was Sturgeon, my wife did not care for it however I thought the very dense fish had a great taste and the accompaniments of curry, black rice and peanuts were very good. The final course was a perfectly cooked lamb loin. My wife is not a big fan of lamb but we both cleaned up our plates because the preparation and seasoning were perfect along with the wild mushrooms, beans and celery. Desert was interesting, some dehydrated beads of basil and other herbs that were the consistency of fruit loops with intense flavors that went well with the crumbled cake and fresh fruit on a baked yogurt.

This was an excellent evening, service at the very top level. Considering this is Calgary I thought at just a little over $300 with 5 mixed drinks and premium wine pairing the price was more than fair. While some coursed my wife did not care for because of the ingredients I thought this was an excellent experience and in the top 15 we have had.

• Visited January 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made our anniversary!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I enjoyed dinner here for our anniversary. The food was amazing and the service very friendly:)

• Visited November 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Dining Experience!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have to say that the first thing that drew me to this restaurant was the 1,000 pt promo in Opentable. I am very glad that I visited for dinner with a good friend whom I haven't met for a while. I visit Calgary for work and leisure very often and it's curious that I never came across this restaurant until now. The whole dining experience was wonderful starting with a pre-dinner chat with the server Ryan, who is very knowledgeable and most passionate about the restaurant, the food, the wine, the energy and zeal just kind of rub off on us. The s'amuse bouche of sweet bread with a tangy tomato foam (I know, strange right? simple but good) was the perfect starter. I had the foie gras prepared with several different form of apples layered with a calvados glaze, the filo pastry that it sits on was hard and chewy, one of two slight blemishes in the whole dining experience. The chicken tagine served with bulgur prepared with merguez and nuts was very well thought-out although the vegetables were very salty even for my usually pretty high tolerance. Paired my dishes with a very delicious iced cider, and a premier cru chablis for a great dinner! I plan to be back again soon for the chef's selection.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kien G
“Wonderful Brunch!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful brunch here...family friendly and great food! We enjoyed the aesthetics of the restaurant and ambience. Great to walk around Kensington afterwards with the family.

• Visited June 2013