“Really overrated for brunch”

Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn
Price range: US$24 - US$39
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 10 "A" Street
Transit: Close to Sunnyside C-train station
Description: Chef's Table is a CAA four-diamond award-winning upscale 40-seat restaurant residing at the Kensington Riverside Inn, Calgary's only Relais & Chateaux property. Chef's Table is one of Calgary's top fine-dining establishments, serving modern French cuisine in a uniquely memorable dining experience. Chef de Cuisine Michel Nop showcases his passion for food in our open concept kitchen. Enjoy breakfast, dinner or weekend brunch in our intimate 40-seat restaurant. Dine indoors or sit outside on our patio overlooking the Bow River, open seasonally from mid-May through September. Be sure to ask about our ever-changing tasting menus with wine pairings. Passing through the neighbourhood? ... Chef's Table is available for special events, receptions and weddings.
Calgary, Canada
“Really overrated for brunch”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I took my wife and kids to the Chef's Table for Mother's Day brunch yesterday. I read the reviews and everything was positive, I guess I should of did more research. We where seated promptly and had our drink orders taken fairly quick. The menu had only 4 main items on it. My wife and I had the Eggs Benedict and my two kids each had an order of pancakes. My wife doesn't normally eat Eggs Benedict, but there was absolutely NOTHING on the extremely small menu that she could eat, besides this.

My kids' pancakes where overdone. You would think paying $18 for each order of pancakes they would at least cook it correctly. Anyway, my kids where hungry so they ate it anyway. For this high priced pancakes, you got a shaving of probably a quarter of a strawberry on the pancakes, and 3 small slivers of fruit on the side.

I had better tasting Eggs Benedict's at cheaper family restaurants. There wasn't really too much wrong with it, just not very tasty. Same thing as the pancakes, you would think for the price, you would get a better dish. Also with this being Mother's Day, they should had something special happening.

As for the atmosphere. It was nicely decorated inside. I just couldn't get over the fact that for guests to check out, they have to walk with their suitcases through the eating area. It was in poor taste to have people walking down the stairs with their suitcases right near your table. This was the reason I gave it a 2 out of 5 score.

I do understand that this is not a family restaurant. It is actually a pretentious wannabe restaurant. I don't mind paying $100 for breakfast for a family of 4, but only IF the food was worth the price. I have spent more on Mother's Day brunch for my wife and family, but at places that are actually worth the money. Places we leave satisfied and not frustrated. Like I said before, it is my fault for not researching enough.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Joel S

Grand Isle, Vermont
“Very impressive”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is one of the better meals I've had in some time. The dishes bring together a mix of expected and unexpected ingredients with great skill. The combination of flavors for my app and entree were quite extraordinary and delightful. Within the last month I have eaten at a 2 star Michelin restaurant. The creations there were more exotic, more creative and cooked to a higher technical standard. But they didn't taste nearly as good as the dishes here. Service was excellent--informal yet attentive and very well informed about the food without being pretentious.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank elm4154
Calgary
“Revisit disappointing”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Have been to the Chef's Table many times to dine and enjoyed the food and service. Unfortunately I did not enjoy my app (flavours) nor my entrée (overcooked). My family had mixed feelings--the best results were with dessert.
The restaurant was very busy with the wait staff doubling to cover a wedding next door, yet the service did not suffer.
I am going to suggest this was a "one" poor experience so as not to deter others from visiting. But it is such a disappointment to look forward to a meal out for a special occasion, only to come away feeling unhappy.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Canukgal
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner here the night after Valentine's, to avoid the crowds. Our experience was top-notch from the service to the food the classy surroundings with fireplace. The only disappointment was I barely touched my food because I wanted dessert. The waiter packed it up for me with only the lobster and disregarded the rice and vegetables. I was completely disappointed the next day when I opened my box to find barely any food there

• Visited February 2014
“lived up to the hype”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have been meaning to get to Chef's Table for a while as we had heard and read so many great things about it. When we finally got there it was worth the wait. My wife and I had hoped to try the tasting menu with the wine pairing but our guests thought that they may not like some of the dishes so we went to the a la carte menu. Not many choices but really something for everyone. Every dish from the chestnut soup and the squash ravioli to the wild boar shank and fritter, the wagyu beef short ribs and the tagine chicken to the pear and citrus desserts were beautifully cooked, very flavourful, wonderfully presented. Service was great throughout the evening. Our waiter made several beer and wine recommendations all of which were spot on. We'll be back so we can try the tasting menu but maybe we'll try the brunch next.

• Visited January 2014