“Calgary's hospitality at its best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calgary
Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 52 Calgary B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary
“Calgary's hospitality at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

A while ago I moved to Calgary and because I didn't have an apartment at that time I decided to book at the Hughes House for the first little while. What I expected was to get a place to stay but what I received was much more. Kelly went out of his way to help me with whatever he could to get me started in Calgary. He gave me tips for finding jobs and apartments to check, every now and then he drove me to a job interview and he introduced me to all of his friends, many of whom are friends of mine now. I truly could not have had a better start in Calgary.
I thought it was very special what he did for me, but after being around the Hughes House for a little while I found out that it wasn't... Kelly goes out of his way for every guest that he has to make sure that their stay is as good as can be.
Now, after having found my own place, I still come to the Hughes House frequently. To see Kelly, enjoy some of the parties that he has or to meet the nice new guests that are staying at the B&B.
Having worked in hospitality for many years myself (and still do), I can definitely say; this is Calgary's hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: Kelly's rooms are in the same character as the 100 year old house. The Victorian style is incorp...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Niels H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bamberg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We chose this place because of the recommendations. They say in life you get what you pay for and for the price we didn't have very high expectations, but we didn't expect to be served hot oatmeal every day with a little sliced fruit and coffee. When we asked to have the oatmeal removed from the breakfast menu we received only a reheated muffin or croissant, sliced fruit and coffee. Our room was a work in progress as well as the main stairwell. We also had to complain about piano playing at night. Although we had paid for 6 nights, we were told that we had to leave a day early. Other tenants received the same treatment. Fortunately we had emails to support our claim. Last but not least were the strange noises late in the evening or early in the morning. I can not wholeheartedly recommend this B&B especially the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank tony2u
Essex, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Thanks to Kelly, our host at Hughes' House, my teenage son and I had a fabulous time in Calgary. We had comfortable, spacious adjoining rooms with a shared bath for our 2 week stay. Kelly not only introduced us to the sights and music scene in Calgary, but also to his delightful friends and neighbors. We shared many wonderful dinners on the front porch that included Alberta beef cooked on the grill by Kelly, and plenty of red wine. We enjoyed being able to walk to a wide variety of restaurants (only a 5 or 10 minute walk), and to downtown Calgary (a 20 minute walk). A friendly, gracious, accommodating host... comfortable rooms... perfect location... very reasonable price... what more can I say? The only hard part was leaving!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kriscoombs
battle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at Hughes' House for two nights in June 2012. When we arrived Kelly was organising a concert, next thing we know we have an invite to a great concert at the house. We were made to feel so at home we could have been part of the family.
Kelly is a great host full of interesting information and helpful ideas.
The house is within walking distance of downtown Calgary which means you don't have to use your car to get around.
We had a room at the back of the house which was very quiet and beautifully furnished. wish we could have stayed longer

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank roy-and-jenny
Blythe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Thank you Kelly for making us feel right at home on our first Bed and Breakfast stay. It was a wonderful experience and we will book with you on our next stay in Calgary. The location was prefect for us because we could walk to the stampede and town. If you don't like walking there is a bus stop nearby. Breakfast was wonderful and meeting new people was enjoyable. The room was very clean and having a kitchen available was a bonus. You can even do laundry if you so desire. I also loved Blanco a very well behaved dog.We stayed five days and wished we had more time to explore Canada.The people in Canada are very friendly and willing to help you.

Kathy and Vern, Ca.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in Calgary at Hughes House B & B in May 2012. I loved staying here as it felt like home. It is within walking distance of downtown and there are lots of restaurants nearby. It is in a very safe neighbourhood, which was important to me because I travelled to Calgary on my own. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with spacious ensuite and the upstairs front room which I had also had a balcony. There is also a full kitchen and washing facilities upstairs for the use of guests. Kelly, the host and owner, is very welcoming and always provides a sumptuous breakfast. He picked me up and dropped me off downtown without hesitation. Also invited me to a barbecue one night with his friends. Although I didn't know anyone in Calgary, I found it to be a most exciting and interesting city and found so much to do that I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank StormAustralia
benzladen, Owner at Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
Thank-you so much for your kind words.A positive review from a seasoned traveler means a lot to me as it shows maybe I'm doing something right. This b&b being my retirement project it all comes together meeting great folks like you.I hope you had a great time up in Edmonton with your cousin.Best to you,Kelly
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed for Calgary stampede in July 2011 (yes i'm a slow review writer!).
Hughes House is a fantastic B&B near to the centre of Calgary.
Kelly is the most wonderful host, so very helpful and accommodating, we could not have felt more welcoming. Really made us not want to leave Canada. very comfortable rooms, very nice area in Calgary and there's even two little dogs who make it a homely environment.

Thanks Kelly! We hope to be back one day.

Room Tip: We had the front room which had an ensuite bathroom and a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple