“Great host/great house”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calgary
Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 57 Calgary B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Kelly and his four legged friend Blanco give you a warm and friendly welcome to their carefully and lovingly restored 1914 house. Very clean and tidy with interesting furniture/pictures and musical instruments. Lovely en-suite rooms with lashings of hot water and underfloor heating. Good healthy breakfasts around a large dining table and a chance to meet fellow guests. If you are really good you will find yourself invited to a BBQ with fellow guests and friends drinking fine wine and getting an opportunity to sample even more of Kelly's culinary skills. Ideally located for downtown Calgary with all the activities on offer. The zoo is well worth checking out. If you are looking to stay in Calgary then look no further.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian W

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Hughes House is beyond anything I expected! The home itself is clean, bright and comfortable. The welcome is genuine and comes enthusiastically from your hosts, Kelly and Blanco. Don't be surprised if you are invited for dinner, find yourself meeting the neighbours and other guests, sharing a glass of wine, and sitting on the front porch. Kelly serves up a hearty breakfast; the fruit is fresh and sweet. The rooms are relaxing, my bed was just right, the heated marble floors are a treat, the windows open so you can wake to bird song and fresh air. There are many interesting historic items to catch your attention around the house. I really enjoyed Kelly's music, either from his vast music collection, or his own playing on the stunning antique piano. The location was great-nice walks around the neighbourhood, easy for an out-of-towner to find.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeanne S
KellyfromCalgary, Owner at Hughes' House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

Thank you so much for the nice review! It was a great visit for us too.Also thanks again for helping the fellow traveler who forgot his luggage that you drove out for him.
Cheers!,Kelly

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Kelly is the friendliest and most responsive B and B host I have ever encountered. He is a great cook and provided me with a beautiful and healthy breakfast each morning at the time I needed. The atmosphere in the home supports guests getting to know each other. On my second night, Kelly invited my colleague ( who was staying elsewhere! ) to dinner with friends and guests. All free of charge-who does that? The meal was lovely and we stayed up late getting to know one another.

The house is very old but a bathroom in my room was a treat. Small sinks/toilet to fit a room not designed for an on-suite was a small price for the heated floors, clawfoot tub and walk-in shower all beautifully done in marble. The room was comfortable and had a bay window and a great bed. I watched tv and had a great sleep with the birds chirping outside the window. The was a great retreat in a busy business trip.

Thanks Kelly!!!!

H. V.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Heather655
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Unique, unusual and accommodating. Kelly is a sensitive host who made this a most welcome stop for an exhausted trade show warrior. Too many planes, trains, buses ,hotels and convention centres spanning thousands of kilometres in only 4 weeks, Kelly's place was like coming home. Amazing home cooked oatmeal with special ingredients a blessing for a stomached abused by trade show floor food (suspect that last meal of sushi in Manhattan was off)
Super clean, totally comfortable
I will make this my stop any time I visit Calgary.
Linda Stortz, President, Stortz& Associates Waterloo, Ont

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Don't overlook this B&B ,it is truly first class. The room was spotless and lovely and warm. The kitchenett which had a fridge/freezer, microwave, washer and dryer for guests use was an added bonus. It is in a great location within walking distance to downtown attractions. Close to carhire locations, wonderful restaurants and shopping. Host, Kelly, is more than accommodating and really a true blue Canadian who was only to happy to assist us with anything during our fortnight stay. We can highy recommend this B&B and will use it again on our next visit to Calgary.
Graeme and Helen
Perth, Western Australia

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank graeme b
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've been in Calgary on business many times, and this time around decided to try a B&B. I was not disappointed with the experience. The house itself is a big beautiful Edwardian home with some really great details like heated floors in the bathrooms. The owner, Kelly, is a top notch gentleman - quick with recommendations on great places to go and always greeting us with a smile and sometimes even a song on the gorgeous piano in the living room. For those who, like me, get a little homesick for their pets, there's even a sweet little canine companion called Blanco. Make sure you scratch his ears for me (Blanco's, not Kelly's). I will definitely be making Hughes House my #1 choice when I stay in Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AmberSurferGirl
Reviewed 10 December 2012

An unusual B&B wth an unusual host - and that is meant as a compliment. Hughes House is comfortable, charming and spotless. Kelly is an interesting host, not to mention a musician and raconteur. We stayed there in Nov. of 2012 and plan to return when next in Calgary. And, as others have noted, the fruit salad is first class. We have stayed in many B&Bs and this is the kind we like - friendly and with character.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family