“Comfy beds, great food!”

Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
Ranked #67 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights for the 2013 Calgary Expo. I was apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews but The Holiday Inn was better than expected. The food, staff, service, rooms and general ameneties were awesome. The few negatives were, there was some marijuana smell in the hallways and two maintenance workers walking in front of us did nothing, and said nothing, It was disappointing. Drug use is unacceptable and there are ways to eliminate it. The bathroom had a small hole above the bathtub and a weird vent that was stuffed with some material. There was also a piece of wallpaper that had been cut out and replaced it wasn't flush and was peeling at the bottom. The furniture while nice could've been placed better as the coffee maker was on a small awkward table and the TV was on a low dresser making it hard to see while laying down. the large sideboard with the table that rolls under it would've been more appropriate. The room lacked electrical outlets amd we had to unplug the clock. An iPhone dock would've been nice. The Wi-Fi was really good though. Also, I loved the food but the room service menu lacked serious detail like side dishes and beverages. The pool was nice, the guests acting like fools weren't and I was suprised no cameras were watching to stop any unruly behavior. Lastly the way to the LRT station is unkempt and the outside of the hotel should be just as important. Overall I did enjoy my stay, and would stay again. Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cassacacia
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you overall for your great comments, we were very pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. I do wish to touch on a few items that were mentioned. With regards to us controlling what happens in a guest room is very difficult, if there are some guests that decide to smoke anything in our rooms although we are 100% smoke free, it is very difficult to track down which room unless we knock and bother guests in the other rooms, our staff might have walked by but we also attempt to walk outside in order to see any evidence of the exact room, any guest caught smoking is provided with a $200 room charge for extra cleaning. As for distruption in the pool, it was unfortunate that this was an issue, we are not permitted to have a camera in this area as we are then required to monitor 24 hours a day, if a guest sees a camera we do not want to give them false expectations that we are monitoring their safety, we do provide a phone that goes directly to the front desk and if someone wishes to report a problem then we would be very pleased to come down and assist. Our back parking lot does lead to the transit bus/train area and is dirty, unfortunately we must wait for the snow to melt prior to arranging a parking lot sweep of gravel and leaves, this will be completed by month end.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed for one night on a last minute business trip when all of the downtown hotels were sold out. The hotel is located just a few kilometers from the downtown core and the cab ride was only around $10. The hotel is very clean and staff exceptionally friendly. I was asked three times whether I needed assistance with my bag which is a little better than average for a Holiday Inn. This is an older property and I found the rooms to be small as compared other properties. The bed was relatively comfortable so I managed a decent night's rest which was great. The hotel does offer a restaurant and pool, neither of which I had time to check out.

The layout is a little strange as other reviews have noted as the hotel was built along a road. The entry is at one end and you could end up walking a distance if on the far side. Also, because the hotel is on a hill at some point you will encounter stairs to get to the level with the elevator (approximately 7 steps) so this might not be the best choice for someone with mobility issues.

I wouldn't consider the area to be particularly pedestrian friendly, its located on a busy street. There also seemed to be a lot of pawn shops, and small strip malls with lower end stores so possibly not a great area at night but I'm not sure. Also, less than half a block away is a newer looking Best Western which might also be a good alternative.

Overall, its a decent property and a quick ride to downtown that met my needs - I'd stay here again.

1  Thank Sinoed
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review, we were so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for your nice comments about our staff and cleanliness of the Hotel. You had mentioned the Hotel set up and yes it is built on a slope and lacks the elevator at the entrance, every team member is expected to offer any guest luggage assistance so I was very pleased to see that you were offered assistance on a few occassions. I am please to advise everyone that we are in the process of having floor plans prepared in order to design and install an elevator, thank you for your comments and patience, that being said due to the large project we do expect a full service passenger elevator prior to year end.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I've stayed at this property 3 times now and all-in-all it's probably one of the better hotels in the area. Bed is comfortable, rooms are clean although they are looking a bit dated and you readily notice that this is an older property. The front counter staff are extremely polite and genuinely appear pleased that you've chosen to stay at the property. I'm a gold priority club member and the welcome card, bottle of water and toblerone bar in the room are a nice touch.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jedavan

Thank you very much for sharing your comments, we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay, thank you for the great comments on our rooms and cleanliness as well as service staff, we appreciate your repeat business and for being a member of our Priority Club membership. We look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

The split stairwell to get to the room was not a bonus - and NO continental breakfast ( a rarity at this chain) was another no but much much better than some other options on Macleod Trail. Clean, and they put a fridge in when I asked so a good choice for Chinook Mall area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your review. Our hotel is built on a hill so unfortunately does not have an elevator at the entrance, there are 7 stairs to go up to the 4th floor and the same to walk down to the 3rd. Once you reach these guest floors we have an elevator that connects all 4 floors. We make every effort to offer guests luggage assistance as we understand this can be a small inconvenience, for this we apologize. Holiday Inn is a full service Hotel with a Restaurant and Lounge, unlike the Holiday Express properties we do not offer the complimentary continental breakfast, we offer a full menu offering a variety of options. We had attempted to offer a continental buffet option but found many people preferred the menu option.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Business trip with a four night stay at the Holiday Inn on Macleod Trail, early April of 2013. What was most impressive was the staff, the front desk and restaurant staff. You really do remember a polite smile and hello when you walk into the lobby. I thought the food was excellent and quite satisfied with breakfast and dinner meals. Since on business, the room desk was quite adequate and the WiFi worked very well, fast enough to establish my secure connections back to my Company’s home office. The interior of the hotel is kept well and clean. Walls, hallways show that they are maintained with no signs of any guest damage or simple wear, looks great. Also impressive is the cleanliness of the room, and I am one of those who check for dust, dirt and trash left. This room was clean. Only note that the bed had a slight rut where most everyone sleeps but it was no worse than my bed at home ;-) I was so pleased that I would keep this place in my favorite list of places to stay while on Business in Calgary. I needed to return to Calgary on future business trip and (I am not surprised) they are sold out, booked full.

Room Tip: Rooms with Odd numbers, opposite side of roadway. I had an even room number and only noticed a sire...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your great feedback and for taking the time to share. We agree our staff is amazing, we have many long term employees that really take ownership in their jobs and the Hotel, many of our guests are quickly recognized when they check in and we treat everyone like family, Service is number one. Although some say the product is showing some wear we ensure that our Hotel has very strong procedures with regards to cleaniliness as this is an expectation of everyone.
We are glad you were able to stay with us during your 4 day business trip and we look forward to your return visit, thank you for your business.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

When I travel for work I tend to stay with Holiday Inn primarily to accumulate priority club points, I'm a big sucker for loyalty programs. I never check-in to a Holiday Inn with high expectation and for the most part I am never disappointed. That being said I like to pick what most would consider trivial issues that, in my world, make or break a hotel stay. There are a few things that I immediately did not enjoy about this location. First and foremost every lamp in my room was fitted with those high-efficiency light bulbs that create a horribly bright white light. The remote for the T.V. was broken and the T.V. itself was awkwardly small. Speaking of awkwardly small, the bathroom was pretty cramped and I was never a fan of having a sink seperate to the washroom. This is my very first review but I travel extensively for work and there are certain to be more reviews to come so I will try to get into a habit of ending on a positive note. The service was friendly and prompt, they even offered to help with my bags. The hotel itself is clean and they gave me a Toblerone when I checked in.

1  Thank lxgldsmth

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you had a good stay but also sorry you had some inconveniences. We have made many efforts to ensure our Hotel is energy efficient as this has become an expectation of Hotel ownership as well as guest expectations. Holiday Inns have one of th ebest loyalty programs so we are very happy that you selected our hotel during your stay. All of our rooms are equipped with a 32" flat screen TV and soon we will have HD TV in all of our guest rooms, the benefit being a much better and clearer reception as well as additional TV channel selections and the addition of Movie Central and HBO Canada so the option of free movie channels. I am sorry your remote was broken and I am hopeful that one call to the front desk resulted in a quick replacement. Our washrooms are smaller for the reason you mentioned. Our set up is one that has the bath tub and toilet in a seperate room with the sink on the outside, many people appreciate this set up allowing more than one person to get ready at a time.

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business very much.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Down the street from the Chinook Mall, weather permitting, a nice easy walk. The 'Staff' do all they can to assist you and make your stay as comfortable as possible. Rooms somewhat dated, but the value is there and the 'Staff' make up for it. There is a restuarant on the premises and I found the food appetizing. There is a 7-Eleven convenience store within easy walking distance and a McDonald's as well. Have stayed here several times and will return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your great review. Our hotel has a great location, we are 5 minutes to downtown Calgary, we are located directly beside the transit system which takes you to Downtown, our famous Calgary Zoo and we are only 2 stops away from Calgary largest shopping mall, Chinook Center, and yes if the weather is great a 20 minute walk. We offer a full service restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner and a great lounge. If you wish for something different, we have Mcdonalds one block away, as well as the wonderful Tim Hortons coffee shop, A&W, plus many other small restaurants.

Thank you very much for your business and we look forward to your return visit.