“An excellent choice - as expected”

Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Booked on Priceline, and the front desk guy announced it a little too loudly for my taste while he was checking the details of my booking. The front desk staff were very courteous and efficient, and they gave me a room with 2 double beds on the first floor without my even asking. Even though the hotel is right on a busy street, the room was very quiet. The room was very clean, everything was in excellent working condition, except for the sink which did not drain very quickly. As soon I notified the front desk, a maintenance guy came right away and fixed it. We had free access to Internet in their business centre.
The LRT station is right at the bottom of the hotel parking lot, and it took only a few minutes to ride to downtown. Parking is free.
At the time we were there, there were still some renovations going on outside, but it looked like all of the renovations inside have been completed.
The area around the hotel is not really that great - a large pawn shop one block over, and mostly light commercial businesses but we had no issues or concerns about crime or our safety.
Several good restaurants, but you need a car to get there. I highly recommend Smuggler's Inn for their prime rib. The hotel had its own restaurant, and the prices were not outrageous. Another good choice for breakfast is Humpty's - also need a car but we enjoyed that meal.
Overall, the same excellent service you would expect from a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank turboguy
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South

Reviewed 10 August 2009

Upon arriving at the hotel- I gave the reservation info for the 3 rooms require for myself and husband, daughter and family and son and family. I gave my chargecard and CAA card.... after that the front desk man chose to speak to my husband and not me!!! What century is this??????
The room my son had , had water leaked all over the carpet from a bathroom... so they gave him a card for free breakfast at the hotel-so we decided to have breakfast there .... WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!! 10 minutes aftter arriving we placed our order and were told it would be 15-20 minutes- We requested a highchair and hotwater for the baby's cereal. She said" I have 3 other tables- so I'll get it later!!!???? After 30 minutes my son went and found the highchair.... still no hot water for the baby cereal.... we also noticed a family who arrived after us was being served- by out waitress- their breakfast ( we were 5 adults and 2 children- plus 2 babies( -only one requiring service....)... the family being served was 2 adults and 4 children....When I asked the waitress when our food would be out she said" I am serviing 3 tables... But we are ALSO one of your tables- and you aren't serving us- you are serving that family who arrived AFTER we ordered..." Oh- the other waitress took their order...??????? OK- SO SHE IS BETTER THAN YOU ARE??? I pointed out that she had said 15-20 minutes and we were now past a half hour.... at 45 minutes after our order was placed- the foods slowly started to arrive.... all but the toasted bagel for the 22 month old child.... My daughter went to the chef window and asked.... oh no it is the waitress who has to do that..... so my daugher stood there and watched as shd FINALLY got the youngest child his bagel.... Then she actually came and said" is everything ok???".... NO- it is not ok- the highchair had arrived with the late food- some 15 minutes after my son found one- the hot water for the baby didn't arrive at all- and the children were served last.... " oh- I give you meals free>>>>>" I said I wanted to speak to the manager..... so a few minutes later- the manager arrives... after I told her the poor service she said" i will give you 50% off your bill".... ok- so now add lack of communication to the staff- who went from free to "you only pay 50%.....

Manager tried to make things right-hot water FINALLY arrived for the 7 month old baby- but I had now lost my appetite. This was supposed to be the start of a new day after burying my brother the day before... trying to find some happiness and joy after a terribly sad day before.... I pushed away my food- paid the bill complete with the pennies required- NO TIP... and vowed to let trip advisor know- so here you have it... won't go back there again...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
hotelmanager4206, Hotel Food and Beverage Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2009

Your feedback on your breakfast experience is greatly appreciated. It deeply saddens me to see the lack of service and respect you were shown by my staff. I can assure you that your comments have been shared with my team members and corrective action has been taken. If you are in our area again please come by and give us another try we have made vast improvements with our service delivery. Again thank you for your feedback and I appoligise to you and your family for the situation that occured.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

Well-placed for the Stampede grounds--2 stops on train with station adjacent to parking lot. Very friendly staff (Carlos helped us with heavy luggage). As a Platinum PC members we were upgraded to a very comfortable executive room. Compact bathroom. Decent buffet breakfast though not up to UK standards. Restaurant food in the evening was good, if a little overpriced. A good place to stay.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank _davidius61
Reviewed 12 July 2009

One train stop away from Stampede Park, train stops at bottom of hotel car park. Rooms comfortable, staff friendly.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed here for 2 night as part of our honeymoon around Canada. We were really pleased with the hotel, it was a good size room and bed with a huge TV. The staff were welcoming and the breakfast was also good. We didn't go for the buffet but just the a la carte. Overall would recommend this hotel if you don't want to stay in the centre of town.

Also the pool is great with towels provided, although it seems to be backing onto some people's rooms.

Overall great value!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My wife and I totally enjoyed our stay @ the Holiday Inn on Macleod Trail. We would like to thank the awesome staff mostly Leslie the night girl, Carlos and Haniso. You people are awesome!!!! Thanks again!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Just returned from a 2 night stay at what used to be Holiday Inn. great location if attending the Calgary Stampede as train station adjacent to hotel and only 2 stops away (remember to have plenty of coins with you - train is $2.25 each way). Hotel staff friendly and helpful. allowed our teenage son to use office computer for the internet for no charge. Hotel fairly average - only comment really is that the lighting in the restaurant is very poor.

Stayed: July 2007