“Not really that "Traveller" friendly”

Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Coquitlam, Canada
“Not really that "Traveller" friendly”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

On the surface all is great but there were a few things that really mattered that brought my rating down. 1. After making online reservation I emailed the hotel twice to request a kind bed. No reply. I called our day of travel to confirm as we were arriving very late and they had us in 2 queens so they changed. 2. Our king room had a rain shower only. Guests should be told there is no tub, after a long day of travelling, a long tub soak was high on my list, very disappointed to find a straight down rainshower which could not be used without soaking your hair which I did not want as I without going to bed and there was no showercap provided. Other minor inconveniences include the fact that there is little room in the shower to place toiletries and no place to hang a washcloth nor any place near the shower to hang a towel. 3. Very odd greasy marks on the headboard - not sure what they were from nor did I want to guess. 4. Nice desk set up with free wifi but no plugs so if you wanted to plug in your laptop or phone, you had to unplug the desk lamp or telephone. 5. Restaurant on site - Pacini's is very expensive and our meal was bland and service poor. 6. Worst of all, wake up call was 45 minutes early - 3am and at 3 am, 45 minutes of sleep is very valuable. At no time did any service attendant appear to care at all. Responses were neutral and automatic. Much better choices at Calgary airport. Will not stay here again,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sylvester F, Guest Relations Manager at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Acclaim Hotel, which you indicated was great but did not garner a high review score. Please accept apologies from all of our ten members for the issues that were not as stellar as you would have liked. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your request to change your room type from a room with two beds to a room with a king bed, albeit one without a soaker tub. It appears that we also missed this request, which you had sent via email. We are following up with our IT department, as we were not able to see any record of your request in our email folders. Our Housekeeping team who has received the Housekeeping Award of Excellence for more than three consecutive years have inspected the headboard and found that due to the nature of the fabric that "marks" will sometimes appear on the fabric but are only temporary. When the hotel expansion took place some time ago the designers took in consideration the need to have enough electrical outlets so that guests can have their devices fully charged. Outlets were installed at the desk level. The issues that you encountered in the restaurant will be discussed with our restaurant partners so that they can be addressed. The log for the day that you checked out indicate that there was a wake up call set for the time called and if we woke you in error please know that it was not intentional. Please let us know when you will be back in the area, as we would love for you to come back to stay with us again, so that you may experience our service excellence and a long soak in a diamond king room with soaker tub.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Nice, modern lobby and attractive front desk area.

Not sure if the creaking carpeted floors in the hallway are quaint or creepy.

Love the rooftop hot tub, but sure wished they were open later than 10PM, since I didn't check in until 1030! I would have killed for a nice 20 minute soak before going to bed! Went back in the morning to find that it was actually a warm tub...not hot at all! No way of getting in that when it was -18F out there!

Rooms had a certain European feel to them; odd overhead lighting but nice art on the walls. Not enough outlets near the bed for CPAP or charging phone while lying in bed.

The clock was too dim and I couldn't find a way to make it brighter. The TV had audio, but no picture and the TV in the bathroom only got 4 channels. Half of the bed was completely shot, so I slept on the far side, which was odd for me.

Loved the shower, however, one can only have the overhead, the middle side-spraying shower, or the bottom to fill the tub. I liked the side shower, but would also have liked the overhead.

The restaurant next door seems hit and miss. I waited 20 minutes before my order was taken. Liked the bread bar with different spreads and a grill where you can toast your own bread. The pizza was quite good, the pasta was was nothing special and the value wasn't entirely there.

Over all, I was happy with my stay. The front desk staff were friendly and the hotel was cozy and comfortable. I did pass on my issues so I hope they get the TV fixed and maybe a new mattress.

Room Tip: Rooms at the ends of the halls mean fewer people walking on the creaking floors by your room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sylvester F, Guest Relations Manager at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hello and thank you for your review. We are glad that you stayed with us on your recent stay in Calgary. Our team has had an opportunity to review your comments and are making adjustments in an effort to rectify the issues you mentioned. The television issue has been fixed and the mattress will be replaced. Additionally we are making every effort to update our guests at reservation and check in about the different room types. We are sorry that you had a long wait when you went to the restaurant. We are glad that you were happy with stay and that the front desk staff were friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back to our "cozy and comfortable hotel".
Outlook, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had a meeting at this hotel and I was impressed with the size of the room and the appointments in the room. The lounge chair was perfect for using my laptop and relaxing after a day of travel. The bathroom had a panel shower with jets, tv, cabinets that made it look more like a home bathroom than a hotel bathroom. Loved to see the Keurig, but our breakfast was too early to enjoy a coffee. Nice and clean. Great front desk service. I would stay here again if I have to go to Calgary by air. Convenient and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Sylvester F, Guest Relations Manager at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and meeting attendance at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport. I am glad to hear that you were able to relax in the lounge chair at the end of your travel day and that the bathroom amenities reminded you of a home bathroom. Our front desk, housekeeping and maintenance team members along with the rest of the hotel appreciate your positive feed back and look forward to your return.
Burlington, ON
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed here on two occasions this February. Very convenient to the airport for my first stay. The airport shuttle is very helpful. On my second stay I was here on a weekend and wanted to get out and do some shopping. You are not near anything and needed to take an expensive taxi to the mall. The rooms are very nicely done and the on site restaurant is quite good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello and welcome back. We are glad that you were able to spend some time with us in February and that our location allowed for a convenient airport shuttle transfer. There are a few shopping malls close by and although our shuttle is not able to transport you there we would be happy to arrange alternative transportation for you on your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Regina
Reviewed 27 February 2014

A great overnight hotel for travellers. The accommodations offer everything I want — awesome shower, clean room, HD TV, great bed and a fine restaurant/bar next door.

The exercise room is a bit cramped — but since I was the only one in there, I had no issues.

I really appreciate the Keurig coffee in the room and — did I mention the great shower?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello and thank you for your "perfect accommodation" review. We are delighted that the shower was a hit with you and that we were able to offer everything that you, as a traveller, are looking for. Please note that we are making plans to expand the exercise room, this should be completed over the next few months. The great shower will be waiting for you when you return. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was pretty fried after several hours of presenting to a group of teachers in Medicine Hat and then driving roughly 200 miles back to Calgary. I needed a nice, quiet place to rest and recharge and was delighted to discover what a great place this was. The room was clean (no icky perfume spray), modern and upscale compared to many of the hotels I've used, and VERY comfortable. When my flight was cancelled the next day, I just booked another night here (didn't even look for other options), grabbed the next shuttle back to the hotel, had some lunch (delicious food at the restaurant) and a took a long, restful nap. Note: I NEVER nap and am lucky if I can sleep at night. Clearly I was more tired than I realized (despite a good night's sleep the night before) plus the bed was so comfortable...

A few small-but-important (to me) things: The bathrooms are really nice. I was in two different rooms and one had a great walk-in shower with one of those big overhead shower heads with side sprays. The other had similar overhead hardware in a big soak tub instead of the shower. If you have a preference, ask. Both were great. I also appreciated that the temperature controls included a low fan option so the heater didn't go on and off all night long. Nice bit of white noise (which helps me sleep) but you can set it to "auto" if you like.

The staff was extremely friendly, from the front desk and housekeeping people to the drivers and maintenance and construction folks. Will definitely book here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a soak tub, although the showers are great, too. VERY comfortable beds, and best...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sylvester F, Public Relations Manager at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
I am sorry to hear about your cancelled flight but delighted that you were able to stay with us on your second night as well. I am glad that our shuttle was able to whisk you back to the hotel so that you could have lunch in Pacini and take a long restful nap. That you were able to take a nap is a testament to the comfort of our beds. Our friendly staff, including front desk, housekeeping, drivers, maintenance and servers look forward to seeing you when you are back in Calgary and on your way to and from Medicine Hat.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great place to overnight if you have an early flight out the next morning. Clean spacious rooms.
Staff is friendly and most helpful. Two week free parking as well as a shuttle to the airport.
Attached restaurant is Porcini's. Very good food.
I will be back next time I fly out of Calgary on an early morning flight.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be good and the beds are comfortable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sylvester F, Guest Relations Manager at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
On behalf of the team at Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport, please accept our thanks for your recent review of our "great hotel by the airport". Thanks also for sharing the tip about the comfortable beds. That you were able to take advantage of our parking and fly package is great to hear. With good food at Pacini and clean spacious rooms we look forward to seeing you whenever you need to fly out from YYC, even if its late or early in the morning.