“Good "boutique-style" hotel in Calgary airport area”

Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Ottawa, Canada
“Good "boutique-style" hotel in Calgary airport area”
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I wasn't expecting to stay at the Acclaim Hotel in Calgary as it was a result of a missed flight connection. The airline tried to book me at the Delta Calgary Airport (attached to the airport) - to no avail.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with my stay at the Acclaim Hotel. Even though one has to wait for a shuttle (or pay for a cab) to get to the hotel, this location is in much better shape and much more affordable than the Delta attached to the airport.

Staff at check-in were extremely friendly and ensured that I had everything for my stay (pre-booked taxi for the next morning as shuttle time was not convenient, setup wake-up call, offered internet instructions and reviewed hotel offering/amenities)

Although I would not say that the Acclaim is a "boutique hotel", the rooms are "boutique-style". By boutique-style, I mean a modern/contemporary decor. Room layout was a bit weird though - room is quite narrow and the bathroom is on the smallish side. Speaking of the bathroom, it featured an impressive full-body shower, which I wasn't expecting from this "value" place.

There were two complimentary water bottles in the room aand High-Speed internet is complimentary.

There is a small restaurant on site offering breakfast. Pacini, a Quebec-based mass market Italian restaurant is set to open in April - which will improve the desireability of this location (Having a full service restaurant on site is sone advantage that the Delta still has over the Acclaim Hotel).

The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a very good, but short, night of sleep

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank ottwatrvllr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We bought the package that allows you to leave your vehicle at the hotel for 2 weeks. The room was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and the hot breakfast was terrific. The rooms even have a flat screen tv in the bathroom so you can have a hot bath and watch tv! The was also free internet. I would and HAVE recommended this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alanaford
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Arriving late into YYC, I called the hotel at 1:15 am to let them know we had just landed. They pleasantly said the shuttle was still running and would be waiting for us in bay 10 once we had our luggage. To our surprise, a very pleasant driver was waiting, greeted us and handed us two bottles of water. Arriving at the hotel within minutes, Brent at the front desk was cordial and welcoming. He quickly had us in a room after arriving at 2am. The customer service shown to us equaled a four star hotel.
This hotel has a lot to offer if you are in need of an airport hotel. It is a cross between IKEA and contemporary European hotel. As other have said, may show some wear in the future but the first 9 months of their operation is off to a good start. Complimentary videos for your DVD player, free water in the room, apples at the desk, a good breakfast, iron/ironing board, safe, shades that block the light, cordless phones and comfortable beds. The bathroom while small has nice amenities including plush towels, TV and a rain shower head with 6 jet sprays also. Check-out was equally easy and the driver of the shuttle (shuttle leaves the hotel every 30 mins) dropped us right in front of the rental car door. For the online bid price I paid, this is the place to spend a night near the airport.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EaganTraveler
winnipeg
Reviewed 18 January 2010

right from the start super friendly staff. when asked about directions to a place the staff knew the area and told me the easist way to reach the spot i was looking for
very clean rooms with wide screen tv's
when i was there the resturant is in the building stage looking farward to my next calgary trip.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank copperwire77
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Our flight was 1.5 hours late and arrived at 1 AM. The advertised airport shuttle is not running after 1 AM. Hotel staff told us to take a taxi and they would pay for it, no taxis were in sight so we took a limo. They argued with the driver about the price, but eventually paid him.
I could not find any mention of limited hours for the shuttle on the website when booking the room.
This was our second stay in 2009 - clean rooms, very comfortable beds, nice soaker tub with TV, okay breakfast, great surroundings, restaurants and shopping easy 10 min drive.
Advertised restaurant and rooftop jacuzzi were not available or finished either stay.
Even after alll the problems would definitely stay again. One of the better hotels experiences I have had in Calgary.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sask_traveler_10
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I was rather disappointed after reading all the positive reviews and had my expectation heightened.
I understand they have very helpful staff during the day, but the lone night staff was rather rough on the edges. When we checked in , we were asked to sign a note about charges for bathrobes if taken away from room, which is perfectly fine, but he started saying, before we even cast our eyes on the note, " This is if if you steal the bathrobes" in a tone that didn't come across as a joke. He also said this to the person who checked in ahead of us.
He did not have a uniform, nor a name tag, the whole process appeared so unprofessional.
Room furniture, drawers, picture and mirror frames were all of a cheap quality which when new doesn't look bad, but they will soon show their age.
Now the good parts: 42 " LG TV is nice, a Philips DVD player as well. So is the single cup coffee/tea maker in the room. It does have more lights than many other hotel rooms. Night light in bathroom casts enough light into the room.
This hotel does serve good purpose as a place for a short stay, and the price of CAD 109 is very fair, but I would not rate it as a 4 star. I haven't taken whether it has a restaurant in my consideration. It is a solid 3 star, just doesn't belong to the top amongst Calgary lodgings.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tak3
Drayton Valley, AB
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I stayed in the Acclaim while we were down in calgary for the Grey cup, it was a wonderful place to stay in. It had a very cozy feel to it. The girls up front manni and kerry were very helpful in assisting for guest services and as well for the simplest way to get where we needed to go. The spa area was well thought out and has a great view on the city of calgary. All in all a great time spending it with the Acclaim.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends