“Great, you could pay more for a bit more but why would you want to?”

Acclaim Hotel Calgary Airport
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Trail, Canada
“Great, you could pay more for a bit more but why would you want to?”
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We went to Calgary for an event and flew into the Calgary Airport and took the shuttle to the hotel, the driver was friendly and offered bottled water on our drive there.
Arrived at the hotel and was checked in, in good time and everything about the key and the light saving features of the room were explained, this is a energy saving device, and as a person who walks by rooms and turns off lights and tvs, that are not being used, I appreciated the idea to save energy.
We had a kitchenette type room, with all that the a preveious writer reported, and as for the TV in the bathroom, I used that one the most, while doing my hair , putting on make up, after my shower and other. the other one i used to watch one of the free movies you can get from the lobby. I sometimes wished I had a TV in my own bathroom for the reason i mentioned above. If you are not a TV watcher a TV anyplace probably not appeal to you anyway.
Small rooms?, yes to a degree but as i was not trying to swing a cat or holding any parties in my room , I had enough room to do everything i had to do and more.

The Resturant is new and with all new businesses they had some issues, that will get sorted out as they are made aware of, even in old businesses there can be isses that need work but that does not take away from the modern bright and very nice decor. The food was very good with a very large number of choices. My breakfast was excellent as was my dinner the night before and I would have no problem with eating there for any or all my meals even if i was not a guest at the Hotel.

Some people cannot be pleased ever, no matter what you do, and I am happy that the negative comments of those people did not deter me from staying at this Hotel

1 Thank memyself_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 20 May 2010

After spending a night in the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, this was a major improvement. It is stylish for a mid-range hotel, but certainly not a boutique experience. Rooms are a cut above the blandness of most competitors. The place is also fairly new, which contributes to a cleaner and more stylish feel.

I had a Platinum Studio Suite, with a queen. Also included huge flat panel TV and all other amenities. Lots of space in the room allowed for a love seat, coffee table, dining table, kitchenette, and dresser on top of a small computer desk.

Also check out the cool open-air rooftop hot tubs and lounge area. Gym in the basement was average. Business centre is two computers and a printer in the lobby.

Adjacent restaurant is okay, but service was pretty slow for one of my two breakfasts there.

This place is a bit far from anything except the airport (5 mins drive). However, if you have business anywhere along the ring road or along Deerfoot Trail, the location is pretty good.

Would have been nice had the windows opened.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 777flyer
Europe
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We stayed at the Acclaim the night before we headed off to the airport for our honeymoon.

Staff were extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming- one even happily spoke Dutch with us when he sensed my husbands accent. The location is very convient if you are heading to the airport. They had good tips on different restaurants to go to.
The rooms are clean and modern; the beds are comfortable. The continental breakfast was fairly ample and a nice start to the day.

Another big bonus is a free shuttle to the airport along with cheap or free long term parking. When we were there, we found out that for each night you stay at the Acclaim you get one free week parking. We were away for two weeks and only had to pay $50 for the extra week. When we found that the battery was drained in our car, the staff rushed out with a portable charger to help get us on our way. I would definitely stay at the Acclaim if I was going to the Calgary airport again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CDN_Wanderer
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2010

My westjet flight home to Victoria was cancelled due to high winds in Victoria (seems to be a theme this winter and spring) Westjet was forced to cancel last minute and I must say I was so happy to be travelling Westjet because I knew they would take good care of me, unlike the *other* Airline.

We were redirected to the Acclaim Inn and my first response was, OH NO, Isn't there a Delta (whee I stay for busines travel) or a Sheraton??? No to both and I must say after the night at the Acclaim I was happy.

Jamie was the check-in clerk and he was over whelmed by us all, he was the only one on staff and he was wonderful under fire. Thank you Jamie.

Rooms were large and very nice, beds were comfortable and loved the shower very nice. Restaurant attached to the hotel was a complete delightful surprise, very good food and wine.

There was a free cont breakfast buffet opened in the morning (I was there at 5;30AM to catch my 7 AM flight) and while I passed on breakfast the coffee was actually very very good.

After a mnth of travelling on and off for business I was more then eager to return home but must say Acclaim was an unexpected nice surprise. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank quincytoo
Medicine Hat
Reviewed 4 May 2010

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights in April. We stayed the night before we flew to Vegas and the night we got back. It is very close to the airport and offers free parking with your stay and a shuttle to the airport.

The rooms aren't huge but for the two of us it was good. I'm not sure that a family of four would be comfortable in the 2 queen room.

The rooms are modern, our first room just had a shower and the second had a nice soaker tub and a shower. There is even a tv in the bathroom! Each room has a Krugg (sp?) coffee maker and there is free internet.

This is a great hotel for a pre or post stay when you are flying from the Calgary airport. If you are going to Calgary to shop or other sight seeing it would probably be better to stay closer to the downtown area.

1 Thank dnb1982
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My wife and I stayed there for one night after booking online on the hotel website. Here is what you need to know:
- it is very close to the airport, perhaps 5 minutes away, and probably the closest hotel to the airport, apart from the Delta which is actually at the airport - they even had big flight arrival/departure screens in the lobby - & shuttle service available to the airport - & easy to get to from #2 highway (turns into Deerfoot Trail in the city)
- there appeared to be some form of long-term parking available if you were getting a flight, but since we were driving, not flying, we did not inquire
- the hotel used to have a breakfast set-up, but no longer does - if you booked before April 1 with that expectation, they will give you a voucher for the restaurant next door (so were advised by the front desk)
- Itallan restaurant next door - just opened last week, nice selection of pasta, pizza, etc, nice lounge, beers on tap
- room we had a king size bed, very modern finishings, flat-screen TV, Ipod docking station, TV in bathroom (?), multi-heads on shower/tub, wall-safe, funky system of operating the lghts with your room card (energy saver), but that said, very small room, but functional. Did I say small room?
- they also had a coin laundry set-up by the ice and pop machines - great idea
- overall, as some of the other postings commented, if you are here for a night just before or after a flight, perfect, otherwise, lukewarm endorsement

1 Thank Canucks07
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2010

After browsing through a few different hotel within Calgary on TripAdvisor, we came across this gem of a hotel. Though our (my girlfriend and I) stay was brief, the experience was no short of exceptional.

Booking:
- Website Booking was very efficient and user friendly compared to some of the other major hotel chains. I was able to select a room and request a price easily.
- Phone Service was effective in answering my questions. Reception was very polite.
- Additional costs were carefully explained by reception in check in phase.

Rooms:
- Having selected the King Package, our King Sized bed was just great. Very comfortable with adequate linens and pillows for two people.
- The inclusion of a large 42'' LCD TV and DVD player was a nice touch (Movies can be rented for free at the front desk to top it off)
- Rooms are well equipped with stationary (Stapler, paperclips, ruler, pencil, pad, pen, etc.) Perfect for traveling business professionals on the go.
- Also to mention is the inclusion of a make up mirror. My girlfriend was pleasantly surprised with this feature and utilized it.
- Comfy Bathrobes. Just a nice touch.
- Washrooms, though a bit smaller, were well designed. The inclusion of a full body shower and rocker tub was just the finishing touch. This was extremely impressive. Can't forget the small TV located next to the shower as well!

Overall Room Impression: :-D

Since we were there for one night we did not get to try everything.

- Continental Breakfast was decent offering a selection of cereals, pastries, beverages, and hot dishes.
- Was not able to try the rooftop hot tubs. Slightly disappointed that they closed at 10 pm.
- Was not able to try the attached restaurant. Ended up ordering from a local pizza establishment which was very fast.
- Hotel also includes washing machines which could be an asset for some visitors

Amenities Impression: :-)

Overall:

If you are concerned about the location of this hotel, do not be. Our trip destination was the Calgary Zoo, and the drive the following morning took no time at all (and was easy).
The value of this hotel is phenomenal. For the price we paid, it was very quiet, comfortable, and accommodating to both of us.

There is no reason to pay a larger price for a downtown hotel that is noisy and inconsistent.

I would highly recommend this hotel to an individual or couple visiting the city of Calgary. Though this hotel is definitely more suited to short term stays (1 to 3 nights), it definitely competes with many other hotels for medium length stays (4-7 nights).

Good Luck and Safe Travels