“A hidden gem!”

Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Saskatoon
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Nuvo Hotel Suites is a small, unassuming building within walking distance of many grocery stores, shops, bars, restaurants, the C-train, and the Saddledome. We chose it because it was less expensive than most of the other nearby accommodations. During our short overnight stay we were very impressed with the service we received. Although we had messed up our reservation, the receptionist was incredibly accommodating in every way and really went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are very contemporary with fancy lighting, fully stocked kitchen facilities, neat bathroom, and huge TV. The huge window let in lots of light (although it looked out over the parking lot, so the view wasn't great).

Some small criticisms: the bed was very squeaky/noisy (for a couples' weekend away this was a bit awkward!). There was no good workspace setup to use a laptop other than sitting at the kitchen bar on a backless stool - not comfortable if we had had much business stuff to attend to.

We would definitely stay there again anytime we visit Calgary. Thanks for the lovely night, Nuvo!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank D L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I have stayed in quite a few hotels and Nuvo Hotel Suites is by far the best. Affordable, extremely clean, wonderful rooms with full kitchen. The staff I had the pleasure to deal with (Monique and Paul) were very helpful, caring and polite. I would recommend Nuvo to everyone. This is the only hotel in Calgary I would ever stay at.
Jen T.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JenT19
Brooks, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Nuvo Hotel Suites is a great place to stay, with a decent price! I stayed there for two nights while taking a course at the Best Western 2 blocks away in April. The rooms were very clean, the sheets smell sooooo good! The bed was super comfy, and so were the pillows. If you have a car and the parking is available, you can park in their "under the building" garage for $15/day, and use your own garage door opener...sweetest thing ever! The doors have keypads instead of using room cards, which is nice, my room keypad happened to be my phone number, lol, convenient, can't forget that! This room comes with everything, even a Keurig! The hotel is right beside a liquor store, a Starbucks, and a Safeway...really, what else do you need! There is no elevator, just the stairs, not a big deal considering it doesn't hurt to get a little excercise. The people at Nuvo were very polite and helpful. They even refridgerated my food & beverages for me until I was finished my course on check out day and brought my bags to lobby for me to pick up. Now you tell me...what other hotel does that? Not one i've ever stayed at!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Donna M
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 10 days in March and it was well worth the money. The cooking facilities were most enjoyable mostly due to the proximity to a Safeway store across the street. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and equipped with a washing machine which came in useful.
The hotel can be a bit noisy at night as people come and go but not to the extent of being annoying. Staff were great and parking was very convenient.
I think it is good value and well located in the city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dunnekk
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I had a business trip to Calgary and wanted to stay downtown. There are many hotels in the area, however The Hotel Nuvo was a cost effective place near the heart of the city. The Hotel Nuvo is not in the heart of the city, but the rates for these hotels were much higher. If you’re looking for a hotel on the river and close to restaurants, The Hotel Nuvo is not the best choice. However, it’s suitable for a downtown hotel, depending on what you’re seeking. As noted by others, The Hotel Nuvo is a converted Condo and hence the check-in is a little different and there is no staff available after 9:00PM. You don’t get a key to your room; the hotel uses a push-button combo lock with different numbers for the front door and your room door. So if you go out for diner and lose your combo, I’m not sure how you’d get back in.
Positives - Clean, new, in downtown and less expensive.
Negatives - Lumpy pillows, parking is a block away (note the walk is a challenge if your not use to the cold weather) and the combo lock thing.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

As I pulled up to the hotel , I have to admit I was a bit nervous. That all changed once I entered the hotel. I was greeted by a very nice and respectable young man . He was very helpful and very welcoming. Once I received my room the gentleman helped me with my luggage upstairs. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place it made me feel like I was at home. I thought the Safeway that was ten steps away was very convenient . I made my dinner upstairs and had a good sleep. Overall I had a very good stay

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Patzymitzy
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I frequently travel to Calgary and this place works perfectly for me. Big rooms, great location and having the kitchen in the rooms and the grocery store next door is really convenient. Nuvo is has been my go-too hotel for a while now because the rooms feel very condo-esque, and it’s nice to be able to prepare your own food when you’re in town for a week at a time. I’ve stayed there on numerous occasions in the last 2 years, there’s been a few minor hiccups but the staff is usually pretty helpful. During my last stay I noticed they renovated the floors in both the hallways & the room I was in. The great value for your buck paired with the helpful staff make this place a good choice for anyone visiting Calgary for business.

Room Tip: The balcony suites are the best deal.