“Excellent find in Calgary”
Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #83 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the Nuvo suites for two nights, they are self contained suits with a small kitchen and patio. It was a really good place to stay, the location is within walking distance of the main shopping area and the Stampede Ground and there are enough restaurants and bars close by.

The staff were super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: perhaps ask for a balcony? we had one but I think some rooms don'e have any...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were in Calgary for a concert June 15 2014. We were recommended this hotel because of it's proximity to the Saddle Dome. The bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean. We were in room 401 top floor lol. I just gotta say in all fairness our trek to the garage and upstairs worked out, because that hotel is surrounded by awesome restaurants. We went to King and I .The food was wonderful and the exercise was welcome. Something else we really liked was everyone had ordered cabs for the event. We were all waiting in the very pretty court yard of the hotel and you got a chance to visit with other fans from all over the world. We will stay at Hotel Nuvo again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Madisoniann
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Booked this on line and seemed like a good choice in terms of rate and amenities. The room itself was done up quite nicely - nice kitchenette, good chair, wardrobe. I travel for business, and the things that I did not like (some to be fair are comparisons to more "standard" hotels compared to a boutique one like this):
- The work space for business purposes is non existent. Bar stool at an overlap counter as part of the side of the kitchen - no real knee space and back started to get very sore in short order. Ended up going to a Starbucks to sit comfortably.
- Bed is on a pedestal with a dark wood 12 - 15" lip. Hit my legs on it numerous times ... the room is small and I would suggest you be VERY careful if you get up in the night or move around in anything other than full light.
- Others have mentioned the parking, which is a challenge. May be not great marketing, but should be mentioned in fairness to guests who are looking to book (i.e., on the website).
- You need a code to get into the doors after hours, and a different code to get in your room. Whatever you do, do NOT lose the card with this ... can only imagine the fun you would have, as there is no one on site overnight.
- Air conditioning is via a floor system ... extremely noisy.
I have sleep apnea and as such travel with a CPAP machine. The only plug by the bed (there were no night tables by the bed) was on the far side of the bed with little room to get to it (as is where the light for night reading is). Had to crawl over the bed to get my machine set up ... not much fun with that.

Location is pretty good, but the balconies over look a parking lot ... not the greatest scenery!

All in all, I would not return to this hotel when I return to Calgary. Just too many issues to make it worthwhile for me and for business travel. I would pay more for a better location and better room / layout / ability work work and not bark my shins.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank twokidsonecat
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Its a small little hotel in a good location with lots of amenities around. Room was small but clean and had what we needed. Room was equipped with a full kitchen which was very handy considering we had our 1 year old with us. Only thing that I didn't like was that the parking was located about a block away in a seperate building. Parking is $18 a day which in my opinion should be included in the room rate considering its off the hotel site. Other then that my experience was a good one. I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a chic little hotel created from a former apartment building...That's about as far as it goes. No elevator, so be prepared to lug your baggage up 3 or 4 floors. ALL the stair doors are propped open, which is a VERY big fire hazard because any fire will spread smoke through the exits and all of the floors. The room doors offer no sound attenuation... it was so bad that at one point I woke up and thought someone was in our room, but it was in the hallway! They say every room is air conditioned, but they don't mention that it's a noisy little floor unit. $18 to park a block away, and the 20 minute loading zone in front was never available when we needed it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J D
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

The good with this hotel is: it looks modern, is in a great downtown location, and the beds are ok.

The bad while I was there: They didn't have the room I booked. They ran out of coffee creamers and told me I had to wait for the next shipment of supplies which would arrive after we left, even though safeway is across the street! They should have ran and got something from safeway instead of having a hotel full of annoyed coffee drinkers. The room still had a lot of crumbs on the kitchen counter (I know it's not a big deal but still annoying). The shower rods aren't secured, so mine fell on me while I was showering. And parking is $18 a day!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leanne S
NuvoHotelSuites, Front Office Manager at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback of Nuvo Hotel Suites, and we are sorry to hear that not everything was to your satisfaction. Although we have always tried to maintain high standards for our housekeeping, we have recently taken steps to make sure that the final inspections are managed in a more consistent manner. It is our hope that this action will eliminate any cleanliness or supply issues from being overlooked in the future.

Although we have tried to avoid increasing our parking fees, Nuvo Hotel Suites itself is unfortunately also a victim of the high parking rates in the Calgary Downtown area. Rather than increasing our room rates so that we can provide "complimentary" parking with each stay, we have chosen to separate them so that only guests requiring parking are subject to the costs.

Nuvo Hotel Suites relies on the feedback of its guests to increase our awareness of areas that require improvement. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon, as we have made efforts to ensure that the experience will be a more enjoyable one.

Kind Regards,

Nuvo Hotel Suites Management

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of our skiing trip to Canada and one night at the end. These were return trips as we had stayed there last year, at much the same time of year. The rooms, being converted apartments, are spacious and well-appointed with all the conveniences of an apartment, making self-catering very easy especially as there is a supermarket diagonally opposite. We didn't have a car so parking wasn't an issue, and the hotel is very centrally situated for downtown Calgary and there are many restaurants in the vicinity. We found that it was better to stay on the upper floors as they are quieter but with no elevator, dragging suitcases up the stairs was hard! The second time we stayed, we were on the ground floor near the front door, which was a bit noisier as we heard people coming and going. The free highs-speed wifi kept my husband happy, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Great place for a short-term, self-catering stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor, near the front door if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family