“Very stylish and trendy downtown hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nuvo Hotel Suites

Nuvo Hotel Suites
Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Pond
“Very stylish and trendy downtown hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at Nuvi Hotel Suites. It was a very simple yet very secure check-in process. The room was so nicely furnished, and the decor was very stylish. I absolutely loved the kitchen. It had a very modern design and the cuboards were fully stocked so I could grab groceries (just right across the street) and stay in for the night!!
The location is fabulous, very accessable to the downtown core. Walking distance to most places I needed to go over the weekend. I drove to the hotel, but there was lots of secure parking in the back.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, it definately suites the busy and trendy downtown core!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

The room was thoughtfully designed, beautifully furnished and well equipped, especially for the price. The location is fantastic; near restaurants and right across the street from a supermarket.

The staff I met are friendly and generally helpful, but services are limited. This is not your typical hotel; there’s no front desk, no room service, and no real parking lot (parking is extra and the spot I had was really, really tricky to get into).

My complaints are few but, to me, very significant. The blinds on the windows are woefully inadequate. At night, anyone outside can see in (my travel companions tested it for me). The water pressure in my shower was very poor (though I heard it was fine in different rooms). Being unable to have a good shower is a big no-no for me. Lastly, their WiFi network was down the entire time I was there, which was annoying.

I would stay there again if they replaced the blinds and I could get a room with a half-decent shower.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

I am writing this review while I'm still at the Nuvo Hotel Suites. The hotel is just amazing. The location is awesome, everything is nearby and within a walking distance; e.g. Starbucks is around the corner, Safeway is across the street, Dominoz Pizza is 10 meters from the hotel, Ric's Grill and Dairy Queen are 3-5 minutes walking, the 17th Ave is 10 minutes walking, London Drugs is 5 minutes walking, Tim Horton's is 10 minutes walking, TD square is 15 minutes walking and lots and lots more.

The hotel as obvious from previous reviews has no reception or front desk (except for a small front desk that has limited working hours and services). When I first arrived I was actually disappointed that the hotel had no elevator so I had to carry my HUGE bag climbing the stairs up to the 4th level, although the lady in the front desk was nice and helped me with my luggage, but it's still inconvenient. Check-in was fast and she only asked for my credit card and took my directly to my room.

The room is just beautiful and spacious, it is designed and furnished really carefully and has some really beautiful modern decoration touches. It's all opened to each other, the bed is infront of the dining table which is infront of the couch and TV. It's spacious and well-lit. The bed cannot be anymore comfortable! It's huge with tons of pillows. The room simply has anything that you would ask for, stove/oven, microwave, toaster, washer, dishwasher, standing air cooler for summer, coffee maker, complimentary phone calls within north America, fully equipped kitchen, HD TV cable, a computer with wireless keyboard and mouse that could be used on the huge flat screen (the TV in the room). The towels, bed sheets and pillows smell really good as if they were just taken out of the washer, you feel that they're really clean and you feel comfortable when using them.

Okay here comes the things that were really frustrating to me, number one and the MOST important which drove me crazy and it's a shame on Nuvo that they haven't fixed these yet. As I was in the 4th level, the wireless signal was just disgusting and really bad. It shows up in my laptop for a couple of minutes then disappears! Even at the time when it appears, the signal is really .. really BAD and just kill you slowly!! It's worse than a dial-up connection. When I told the front desk, they said we'll give you an ethernet cable. I waited and nobody brought anything, then called them again and finally after couple of hours I got the cable, but this did not even work and the signal was still really bad. I ended up with using some anonymous wireless network, which is still really bad!! I'm not the kind of a guy who uses someone's else network, but because I had a lot of important stuff that I had to do online! When I described all this situation to the guy who gave me the cable (who seemed to be like a supervisor or something like that because I often saw him), he seemed to be totally okay with that! He simply told me "It's just because your room is on the other side of the hotel and you're on the 4th floor"!! That's totally not accepted and should not be said to a customer as if it was my fault that I'm on the 4th floor! Making me climb all these stairs should make you feel bad enough! Then you finish it with telling me this!! The other bad thing was on my first night, I went to bed then suddenly at 2 am I woke up thinking that there was a jet plane in my room!! I was really frustrated and annoyed, it simply was the refrigerator!! It's TOO LOUD! The worst thing is that I couldn't unplug it or at least turn it down so the stupid compressor would work as least as possible. I told the front desk the next day after a terrible sleep, then they sent the same internet guy and he turned it down with some kind of a hidden controller.

Finally, the hotel is just the best for the money that I've paid, but the internet issue and the refrigerator on the first night really disturbed me. So I would come here again but with one condition, that I have a low floor room and a good wireless signal.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
NuvoHotelSuites, Marketing Director at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, 5 May 2009
Thank you for your review of Nuvo Hotel Suites, and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We would like to apologize for the problems with the wireless internet while you were here, and would like to assure you that we are changing our system to avoid future problems with connectivity.

Our new wireless system will be up and running by the end of May, and until that point, all guests will be able to connect to the internet via the direct cable link to the modems in the rooms.

We hope you are able to come back to Nuvo again, and thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Nuvo Hotel Suites Management
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2009

I booked this place for a business trip mainly because I got a great rate at expedia. It was "ok", but just.
The checkin was great- a friendly, helpful girl at the front desk. She told me right off that it was a "limited service" hotel. And it was. The room was clean enough, but several things were missing or not working. There was no tub, only a shower, and it didnt even have a soap dish- had to keep it on the floor. The sink was very tiny, the drain didnt work, and the overflow plug kept coming out. There were only two towels in the place, and on my second night I got back from work late, so couldnt get any more. I had to dry using the face cloth the next morning after my shower. The cutlery was also very sparse- I couldnt even find a butter knife.
The bed was very comfortable, but was right next to the sliding door which led to the balcony. The drapes were very cheap, attached to the rods with velcro, and I could see through them- which makes me wonder who could see in. There was a large balcony, but it overlooked a very grungy alley, complete with bag people rummaging through the dumpster.The lock on the sliding door did not work- this made me very nervous, I had to improvise my own lock.
The location is very convenient to the 17th avenue restaurants and shopping, but the area itself is not too nice- I'm not sure I would have felt safe walking at night.
On the plus side, there was a very large plasma TV complete with computer and free internet- a very welcome surprise. Unlimited free calling across N America was also included. The applicances were all very modern and worked well.
In sum, I guess I cant complain given the price I paid, but if I had paid the advertised "rack rate", I think I would have been upset. Oh, yes, almost forgot- parking was extra. A VERY small space which tested my parking skills.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Tunis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

I was a little trepidatious when I booked this hotel due to the couple of negative reviews, but decided that the value of a fully appointed room was worth the risk.

I'm so glad that I took that chance. These units are amazing. I travel a lot on business, and this is the first time a hotel has impressed me enough that I felt I needed to write a review of it. I'll mention a few specifics that really stood out:

- The room decor itself is beautiful. It doesn't feel like a hotel, so much as an upper-class condo. Far better than anything I've seen at this price level.
- The bed is extremely comfortable.
- The kitchen is well stocked. From cooking utensils to the plates and small ware, they've really gone the extra mile in choosing quality items. You won't be eating off paper plates, which might not seem like a lot, but it makes a huge difference when you're away from home for an extended period of time.
- Quiet for a downtown hotel. My room was near the back of the hotel, and I had absolutely no traffic noise despite being on a busy street.
- Walking distance from a large number of restaurants, shopping, etc.
- Did I mention the bed?

That's not to say everything about this hotel was flawless. If you're looking for a room with a view, you're not going to find it here. Also, the check in system is a little odd, as there's no traditional front desk yet. Being a conversion from an apartment building means the check-in is done in a unit on the main level and someone greets you at the door when you arrive. It wasn't a negative, it was just different.

Overall, however, this was an amazing hotel at an unbelievable price and I plan on returning whenever I happen to be back in Calgary.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
MTL - QU
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

The suite was not that clean when I arrived, but it was at night and the maid wasn't there. The suite was nice, very central, washer dryer, TV, internet, but some dishes was missing and they could not replace it. The shower was very dirty as well. The next day the maid came in the room (it was an Asian man I believe) he only placed the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, cleaned the floor, that's it that's all. He didn't clean the kitchen and the shower at all. I was quite exausted. I tried to tell him and he told me; No it's only this. I told to the lady at the front desk the same day. The next day the guy maid knocked my door at 9:30am in the morning (the sign don't disturb was at the door) and he opened the door and walked in the suite. I was in the bed and I told him to go away. I believe it may have been his revenge. The front desk told me it was odd and they don't think he would do this. Anyway they didn't really do anything to provide me a better service. At my check out, I told them my deception about this hotel and I told them I would not come back. The next day they sent me an email to tell me I broked something in the room. A little piece of wood under the bed. and It would cost me 150$. I told them I did not accept this charge and it didn't have anything to do with me. Was it an other revenge from the charming gentleman maid or was it the hostility of the lady at the front desk about me telling her I was not totally satisfied with the service and I was not about to come back at this hotel? Anyway the money have been charged on my credit card one week later without my permission of course. So be very wary with these people. Don't give them your credit card information. I also noticed during my stay that the hotel was not very full and I strongly believe it's not a coincidence.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank k_andrea_Mtl_Qu
exuburanceforhotels, Marketing Director at Nuvo Hotel Suites, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
At Nuvo Hotel Suites we strive to ensure all of our guests have an extremely comfortable stay.

I request all fellow travelers to please disregard the complaints in this posting, as this guest was asked to leave the hotel for specific reasons.

As a professional hotel establishment, our staff treat all guests equally and with respect, and under no circumstances would our staff take revenge on a guest.

Nuvo Hotel Suites only charges a guest credit card for their room cost, and any other charges are added on afterwards and agreed upon by the guest and hotel front desk.

If a guest does break or steal an item in the room, the guest is held liable for the charges, presented to them at checkout.

Nuvo Hotel Suites tries to ensure that every guest has a positive experience, and as long as complaints are voiced to us, we will try everything possible to fix a problem.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel because of all its amenities. As a person who frequently travels on business, I get sick of eating at restaurants by myself, so this place was perfect (not to mention, there's a Safeway grocery store across the street)!

The rooms were well appointed, with probably the most comfortable bed I have every slept on, aside from my own.

Would definitely recommend this hotel for travels who are sick of the standard business hotel...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business