“No Gardens Here It Seems”
Review of Lougheed House

Lougheed House
Ranked #42 of 315 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Lougheed House is a National & Provincial Historic site, Museum and gardens located in Calgary's Beltline community. This 14,000 sq.ft sandstone mansion was built in 1891 by Senator James Lougheed and his wife Lady Isabella Lougheed. Completely restored, today it is the Beltline community's hub of cultural happenings and programs offering preservation and interpretation of this home, the Lougheed family and early Calgary. We also offer spectacular flower and vegetable gardens (free), weddings and events, and indoors (with paid admission) we offer self-guided and audio tours, historic interpreters (if booked in advance) and year round revolving exhibits, concerts and happenings produced with our cultural collaborators.
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This 2.8-acre estate and historic mansion is a showplace of local history, but it keeps short hours and it wasn’t open when I came to see it with $8.50 plus GST at the ready for a ticket. After checking whether the restaurant might be open for morning tea and scones, I contented myself with photographing its sandstone exterior. Litter on its lawn and on its granite steps spoiled any pretense of its owners once hosting royalty. There was absolutely nothing to see at its Beaulieu Gardens and no signs to point the way there if they were only somewhere hidden but nearby. Seeing the Gardens had been the main reason I’d trekked all the way from my hotel near the Bow River to see the place. Maybe it was a bad day and just luck of the draw, but I’d expected far more than seemed on offer here.

1  Thank mainemountainbear
LougheedHouse, Public Relations Manager at Lougheed House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your visit was not what you expected.
The House is on its original 2.8 acres, and much of this is formally landscaped each year by our Head Gardener and her team of 50 volunteers! There are formal gardens on the East side of the House, as well as a lily garden in the south pasture, and the rose garden and herb garden as well as other beds on the west side of the house. I'm sorry you missed them! They are really quite beautiful. Possibly the timing of your visit did not allow for the full experience, since planting happens quite late in Calgary- we need to wait until the last frost!

Please view some of the other tripadvisor's photos to see some nice photos of the gardens. You can also see several (or more) on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lougheed.house/photos and hopefully you will be able to return another time in Summer (August is usually best) to enjoy the Gardens in person.

All reviews
"self guided tour"
in 5 reviews
"gift shop in the basement"
"early history"
in 5 reviews
"brunch"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Lougheed House has a historical reason for being there. It was the house of the then senator and his family with 6 kids and staff. However, considering all its historical references, it is just a small house nothing more. The admission fee is way to steep 8.50$ + GST I was lucky I had a coupon which let me get one on one free!!! The house winds up in 2 floors, with reasonable sized rooms, all the interiors have been modernized nothing spectacular to see or learn. I was disappointed with the whole experience. The restaurant was closed, due to a private function. The gift shop was over priced so I just picked up a magnet to remind me that I visited the place.

3  Thank jovita_a

Hi,

Sorry that your experience was not the best it could have been. We are constantly looking to improve our visitor experience, and will take your comments into consideration. Please know that we continue to add furnishings, and have a series of rotating historical and art exhibits, and are also constantly developing new programming.

As a side note, it was interesting to read your comment about the modernized interiors- perhaps that's because when the house was built in 1891 it had hot and cold running water, electricity, steam radiators, and all of the other modern conveniences you can think of! Many visitors do not expect this in one of the oldest houses in Calgary.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

There once was a whole street of mansions similar to Lougheed house this is the only one left! Sitting in the heart of the city in it's own garden setting it's a little gem. Maybe not as grand as European mansions but certainly the only one Calgary has. And a surprisingly great place for lunch, if I worked or lived close by it would be a regular stop for me! Wonderful friendly and helpful staff. Interesting history. Well worth the effort.

1  Thank 6,491
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Not the most exciting stately home we have been to (Europe has more interesting places), but there are not many old houses to see in Calgary, so make the most of the fact that this one is still standing, and go see for yourself.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have to start by saying this was a special tour and lunch and as such we did not have to pay for either - I can not therefore comment on cost or judge either the meal or tour based on the cost. What I will say is the staff we interacted with were friendly, knowledgeable and very interesting. They went out of their way to make sure our three course meal was outstanding! We had two people in our group that had dietary issues and the kitchen staff were more than willing to accommodate their needs. The food was fresh, tasty, and there were good portions of everything. Following our lunch the staff took us on a tour of the building. Our tour guild was well versed in the history of the house and the Lougheed family. He was able to give us facts and figures and mixed in personal stories about family members and notable characters that visited the property. As a history buff I quite enjoyed this tour and found myself wanting more and more information with each room we visited. Based solely on the experience and not the cost I would recommend this attraction to anyone that enjoys learning about the local history of Calgary, famous Canadians and would enjoy a tasty meal. They really do make the history of the region come alive here!

1  Thank howitzer_ca