Gratitude Cafe
Price range: US$14 - US$37
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sunnyside
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

When I first walked in honestly I wanted to shout some expletives and storm out. But after a couple of texts from my wife telling me to knock it off I chilled out. The service is actually good if you can get over the gruffness of the owner and a overly attentive girl taking care of our table. This is a place run on their terms which can be chafing, but they care so honestly I felt compelled to give a good review.
The food is really good and tasty. Im a meat and potatoes kind of guy and I was very weary of a vegan restaurant. The kids were a little tricky to order for but the owner took care of them. Everyone enjoyed their food and we were satisfied when we were done.
Now that I know what to expect I would come back. Give this place a try just grit your teeth for 5 minutes it's worth it.

1  Thank Jon R

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I took my mom to Gratitude cafe on March 21 and had the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant. I have worked in the costumer service industry for a long time and understand that serving people isn't always the most pleasant thing to do. I wish i could say that the food made up for the bad service but i couldn't even bring myself to stay that long. Between being badgered and rushed to order (keep in mind it was the middle of the afternoon and there was one other table in there) and then being accosted about not wanting to order the pizza that we were potentially thinking about ordering, the entire experience was not only uncomfortable, it was terrible. The tone of voice that our server, Kristi (who apparently is the owner) was using was condescending and aggressive. I felt so disrespected.
Later in the day i found out that Gratitude will be closing in a long two month. This news thrilled me. Hopefully in that time she only poisons a limited amount of people with her negativity.
DO NOT GO HERE!!!

2  Thank Missmjr
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Our family goes to Gratitude at least once a month. I have no idea what the bad reviews are about at all. The staff are fun sometimes new but always helpful. The owner Christi is a little dynamo and loves what she creates. It's the place to eat when I want something healthy and satisfying. I even took my 22 yo son there for his birthday and he had the portabella burger OMG he loved it and was full. There is a calm vibe there and you can spend a lot of time without someone making you feel like they want you out so the next customer can eat. Games on the tables, books to read are everywhere.
It is NOT a fast food place and it is not pretentious and it is not a high class place, so don't expect fancy table clothes or brown nosing serving staff . Do expect a friendly casual fresh dinning experience. We love it and will continue to support Gratitude Café.

2  Thank Lenka H
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We have taken two trips to this little gem of a spot for food for our souls. Lovely! The gluten free pizza is really tasty, and the salads are covered with incredible dressings making them delicious!!
The service was frankly bewildering...when we were placing our order on our first vist the aserver seemed to be impatiant with our questions about the menu, and walked away even though we were obviously looking to discuss thier menu in more detil.
The second time we went they had 3 staff and only 3 tables with customers, yet we experienced the same sort of impatience.. It was like something out of Faulty Towers :)
the funny thing was when we expressed our satisfaction with the food they were all happy and smiles so they obviously take great pride and satisfaction in making good food.
So...if you are looking for good food you will be happy.... look for cheerfulness and patience elsewhwere.
SW Ottawa

1  Thank Wildesmith
Reviewed 15 April 2013

BAD food.
BAD BAD environment
BAD BAD BAD attitude from the staff.

How on earth the place is still open is a miracle. I hate to say it but this is one business that deserves to go under before any other poor unsuspecting souls waste their hard earned money here. Shameful

7  Thank anderses