“Perfect venue for wedding or anniversary.”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
yyc
“Perfect venue for wedding or anniversary.”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I recently celebrated a wedding anniversary. We decided to stay at this hotel due to a very good rate, and were treated extremely well. We were given a room upgrade and sent complimentary champagne and strawberries which was very thoughtful. The room was lovely, the bed comfy and the hot pool relaxing. We had a very romantic celebration. The hotel was in close walking distance to many restaurants and shops.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lsj321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Toronto
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed for four nights August 21-25. Indifferent to bordering on rude service from hotel staff in lobby. Had to get my own taxi. Staff seem more interested in chatting with one another, or with the airline staff.
Have several more visits to Calgary in September - will be staying elsewhere despite being a Starwood member.

1 Thank TorontoPoppy
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Dear TorontoPoppy,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns from your most recent visit. I do sincerely apologize that you feel the service you received was lacking; this certainly does not represent our usual level of service. I hope you will give us another chance to wlecome you back the next time you are in Calgary.

Be well,

Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed 26 August 2011

When I think of the Westin - Calgary,,, I'm most impressed with the corner suite rooms I am usually given. They are simply outstanding! They are quiet, spacious, and pre-stocked with items that usually have to be 'requested' (e.g. room humidifier, extra toiletry items).

The staff is always helpful & courteous -- but I've found they don't go out of their way to engage & get to know the guests that are there week in & week out. It's not a huge issue for me - but when I compare it to other Westin properties that have a Guest Experience Manager with this as a key 'job function' - I find it somewhat dissapointing.

On the positive side (as stated in other reviews), the Westin here is directly connected to the "+15" structure, and those cold snowy winters can be navigated without much walking outside.

Breakfasts are excellent -- great menu, great service & always a smile on the lady who seats us each day... Also the Keg is a good 'after work' meeting place -- for drinks, appetisers and meal. This is especially true during nice weather times, when you can sit outside on their patio bar.

I do truly enjoy my trips to Calgary - The Westin there represents an excellent value for the business traveler staying & working downtown.

1 Thank QFDMAN
Dear QFDMAN,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and for your kind words. I am happy to hear that you enjoy your time with us, however, the engagement of our staff is usally something we pride ourselves on. This certainly does not represent our usual level of service and I hope that we can exceed your expectation in this regard going forward. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

staten island
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Great Hotel. Excellent value, location and staff. Spent 3 days before heading into the rockies after flying in from Newark.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I'm a native Calgarian. Was in need of a place downtown to crash for the night

There were a few hotels of equal or greater stature (Hyatt, Marriot, Palliser, Le Germain etc.) available for more or less the same price, and after having walked through the Westin's beautiful lobby numerous times I decided to give it a try...

I booked the deluxe business king bedroom for $185 after tax.

I knew was in trouble after I left the beautiful lobby and got into a rather rickety elevator. I think they were trying to go for the cool modern look with the dark colored furniture and grey walls but it just reminded me of a cheap basement reno job,. rather cold and cave like.

Anyway after the underwhelming first impression, from there it was one little annoyance after another:

-I booked for two yet there was only one robe in the room.
-The fridge in the room, wasn't a fridge at all, it had a sign on it that said "This is not a refrigeration unit, will not cool below 6 degrees Celsius"
-My card keys didn't work, had to get them rescanned.
-The ice machine on the floor was broken.
-There was no newspaper in the morning.

All in all it was like staying in an overpriced motel 8. Very disappointing for a hotel in that price range. I could have done way better for that money. I will not be back.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bmacm869
Dear Bmacm869,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I do apologize that you ran into more than a few disappointments. This certainly does not reflect our usual standard of service and I will be sure that these mishaps are communicated to the appropriate departments. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, and that we will be given the chance to exceed your expectations.

Be well,

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Over past several years I have stayed in this hotel about 10 times for business and have found it to be an excellent choice. Rooms are reasonably large and well appointed. Beds very comfortable. I usually stay on "Starwood Preferred Floors", so not sure if they are representative of whole hotel, but assume they are. Hot breakfast buffet is quite good and "Keg" restaruant good and convenient as well. Service, from bellman at the door, front desk and housekeeping have consistententy been very good. Everything from check-in, services and check-out has been "quick" and for business travel this is a must. Taxi's line up at Westin which is convenient if you need to quickly get across town or to/from airport. The "+15" (weather protected enclosed above ground walkways 15' above street level are very convenient in the colder months). Hotel room price is not low, but then nothing in downtown Calgary is....

1 Thank Joseph C
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Great room, breakfeast but the best expirience was the staff attention .

they are very helpfull in my stay, before and also after this stay.

it was a great expirience to stay there!!

thanks again Westin Calgary staff to make my stay Awsome.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family