“In the heart of downtown Calgary”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you have overnight business plans in Calgary this is a nice place to stay. Like most Westins, courteous staff is certainly present. The noise level was higher than I anticipated though while in the room. The doors have too much space at the bottom thus guests talking in the hallways cannot be muted. And, for some reason the toiletries and coffee in the room were not replenished properly. I did appreciate the make-up mirror which is quite helpful for us female travelers. I would stay there again but be more cognizant of what is replenished from maid service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Westin. Once in December for one night, and just this past long weekend for 2 nights. When we arrived around 330-345pm we were told that our room was not ready. Not really a big deal, we just went and had a coffee at the Starbucks. The staff member said for the inconvenience he would send up a bottle of wine that would be waiting for us in our room. Wonderful! When the room was ready, maybe 15-20 min later (pretty quick), we went up to our room and there was no wine. Waited about 20 min before I decided to call, 10 min later we had our wine. No major problems here at all. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. One thing I found so odd though was the lack on patio furniture for our balcony. It's a decent sized balcony; so throw a chair or two up there. Can't really enjoy the balcony much if you can't even sit down. Anyway, we were about to have ourselves a glass of wine and listen to some music on the iPad, and NO WIFI. Seriously?! We were there in December and had it. Our room was close to $400 for a night and we would have had to pay for internet. I must say that really pissed me off. For a room that expensive at least throw us some free WIFI. I can't even remember the last hotel we've stayed at that didn't offer it to it's guests. Evening comes around, and we notice it's getting pretty noisy in the rooms beside and across from us. Hallway is noisy with lots of shrieking teenagers. What do you know? Our room was directly in the centre of a block of rooms filled with teenagers on some sports team event. AWESOME. Hard to relax when you are constantly listening to boisterous activities of teens. Why oh why would you put a couple in this room? That was really in poor judgement.Finally around midnight my husband and I had enough. My husband called down and the staff did notify the noisy kids and they did start to quiet down... but the walls are quite thin and honestly we still heard a lot of noise. Second day was much better, and the staff did call us to tell us that we wouldn't be bothered on our last night. And it's true. Either they moved the kids, or the kids headed home. We had dinner at The Keg on site, it was great. Zero complaints. I don't know, the whole stay though was just sorta "meh". Given how expensive it was to stay there, I'd think again before re-booking though.

Room Tip: Find out who your neighbours are. Thin walls on floor 7. Don't really want to be stuck between...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erin S
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Erin S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms and we aplogize for any inconvenience. May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Beautiful room, nice n comfy. 2 weird things though.

a) the stand up shower did not have doors or a curtain - only a half glass that ran from floor to ceiling. This left the back of the shower open and water routinely escaped on to the bathroom floor. Mould will be a problem eventually.
b) There is a sliding door that either keeps the bathroom closed or the closet, but not both. It's an odd setup. Personally when I stay at a hotel, I like both closed, but it's not an option.

The price tag is pretty steep but for a well known hotel/conference centre, I suppose it is to be expected. Staff were helpful and friendly, but one quasi-complaint.

The Company booking of my room meant only one night of my stay was paid on their credit card. Subsequent nights went on mine, to be reimbursed later. Very odd. Good thing I had room on my visa or it might have been a little awkward.

When I checked in, I was advised this was standard - not so at other major chains I've attended conferences at.

Long story short, would I stay there again? Sure. The water issue isn't my problem and the booking I can work out when I get home.

Room Tip: I suspect a southern view may be better. In May of 2014, the north offers a lovely view of a buildi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had a room facing the street and it was a little noisy, hence called the front desk and have the room changed. The staff were very accommodating and changed the rooms within the hour.
The room was also a little small and the bathroom is a little 'tight'.

Location is great and staff are always there to give you a hand.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear mstsc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that our associates were accommodating and changed your room for you. May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just finished teaching a dental course here and the Westin's staff was outstanding. Every way we turned, they were helping us. One young gentleman, Zachary Weinstein, especially stood out as so pleasant and SO on the ball. I really wanted to pack him up and take him home to South Dakota with me! ;). Nice job hiring, manager John Conmee! ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Dentalassist,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that your event with us was successful and that our associates were eager to help! We will share your positive comments with Zachery and John!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Front desk agent Sara T. is absolutely terrific. Everyone we met was very professional and friendly. This hotel is a typical Westin -- very clean, comfortable, good location, modern guestrooms and bathroom. We stayed two evenings on Easter weekend. All elevators were working, but you must use your card to go up and if you mess up with the key card, stop using that input panel and move across door to the other panel to get the elevator to respond. We requested and got the high floor, 16th. The Wifi was very good! We have been in Calgary many times, but this was our first stay at the Westin. Very convenient to China Town, and the Spaghetti Factory is right there. Apparently the Eau Claire mall will be closing for demolition and will be rebuilt as a high rise mall! That was a disappointment as we remember it being very interesting and full about 6 years ago, but the fact that it is winding down helped us! I chose a very inexpensive alternative to the self park, and found it no problem to park for $2.85 U.S. for up to 23.9 hours on each day of the weekend. We wanted to get an "early start" so having to move the car out of the Eau Claire lot by 6am two mornings was not a problem. The idea of using the lot occurred to me when I realized I could see my car there from the room. Street parking over the weekend is also a possibility of you have a touch of patience. If you have not seen it we recommend the Glen Bow Museum, and enjoyed the Asian art exhibit and the minerals and a special exhibit on the iconic BLACK LEATHER JACKET. Lots of roads closed, under repair right downtown.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when going to black sabbath. Room was great nicely appointed with a fridge and robes and a safe Beds are super comfy as are the pillows. You can stay here and not leave as it has a keg and Starbucks connected to the lobby. We walked to the saddle dome took about 20 minutes not bad. Check in and out was easy and got a good rate with expedia. Only negative is the price of parking 25 bucks. But I guess you are downtown calgary. I definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends