“Great Hotel for the Business Traveller”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
oshawa
“Great Hotel for the Business Traveller”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent 4 days at the Westin Calgary in May and found the hotel was perfect for the business traveller. Short $38 cab ride from the Airport, excellent conference facilities, Keg was attached to the hotel for dinners and located in a nice area for walking around during free time. The hotel food was not fantastic but it was ok.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was ok and the rooms were well appointed except the showers should be enclosed so the floor does not get so wet. The staff were helpful. Enjoyed having a balcony to get some fresh air. Just being a sleeper who hears noises could be better sound proofing as heard people in the passageway talking at night. Good to be in the city centre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank upgrades991
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear upgrades991,

Thank you for taking your time to post on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for the noise and discomfort.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you have overnight business plans in Calgary this is a nice place to stay. Like most Westins, courteous staff is certainly present. The noise level was higher than I anticipated though while in the room. The doors have too much space at the bottom thus guests talking in the hallways cannot be muted. And, for some reason the toiletries and coffee in the room were not replenished properly. I did appreciate the make-up mirror which is quite helpful for us female travelers. I would stay there again but be more cognizant of what is replenished from maid service.

Chestermere, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Westin. Once in December for one night, and just this past long weekend for 2 nights. When we arrived around 330-345pm we were told that our room was not ready. Not really a big deal, we just went and had a coffee at the Starbucks. The staff member said for the inconvenience he would send up a bottle of wine that would be waiting for us in our room. Wonderful! When the room was ready, maybe 15-20 min later (pretty quick), we went up to our room and there was no wine. Waited about 20 min before I decided to call, 10 min later we had our wine. No major problems here at all. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. One thing I found so odd though was the lack on patio furniture for our balcony. It's a decent sized balcony; so throw a chair or two up there. Can't really enjoy the balcony much if you can't even sit down. Anyway, we were about to have ourselves a glass of wine and listen to some music on the iPad, and NO WIFI. Seriously?! We were there in December and had it. Our room was close to $400 for a night and we would have had to pay for internet. I must say that really pissed me off. For a room that expensive at least throw us some free WIFI. I can't even remember the last hotel we've stayed at that didn't offer it to it's guests. Evening comes around, and we notice it's getting pretty noisy in the rooms beside and across from us. Hallway is noisy with lots of shrieking teenagers. What do you know? Our room was directly in the centre of a block of rooms filled with teenagers on some sports team event. AWESOME. Hard to relax when you are constantly listening to boisterous activities of teens. Why oh why would you put a couple in this room? That was really in poor judgement.Finally around midnight my husband and I had enough. My husband called down and the staff did notify the noisy kids and they did start to quiet down... but the walls are quite thin and honestly we still heard a lot of noise. Second day was much better, and the staff did call us to tell us that we wouldn't be bothered on our last night. And it's true. Either they moved the kids, or the kids headed home. We had dinner at The Keg on site, it was great. Zero complaints. I don't know, the whole stay though was just sorta "meh". Given how expensive it was to stay there, I'd think again before re-booking though.

Room Tip: Find out who your neighbours are. Thin walls on floor 7. Don't really want to be stuck between...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erin S
Dear Erin S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I have shared your comments with our Director of Rooms and we aplogize for any inconvenience. May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Beautiful room, nice n comfy. 2 weird things though.

a) the stand up shower did not have doors or a curtain - only a half glass that ran from floor to ceiling. This left the back of the shower open and water routinely escaped on to the bathroom floor. Mould will be a problem eventually.
b) There is a sliding door that either keeps the bathroom closed or the closet, but not both. It's an odd setup. Personally when I stay at a hotel, I like both closed, but it's not an option.

The price tag is pretty steep but for a well known hotel/conference centre, I suppose it is to be expected. Staff were helpful and friendly, but one quasi-complaint.

The Company booking of my room meant only one night of my stay was paid on their credit card. Subsequent nights went on mine, to be reimbursed later. Very odd. Good thing I had room on my visa or it might have been a little awkward.

When I checked in, I was advised this was standard - not so at other major chains I've attended conferences at.

Long story short, would I stay there again? Sure. The water issue isn't my problem and the booking I can work out when I get home.

Room Tip: I suspect a southern view may be better. In May of 2014, the north offers a lovely view of a buildi...
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had a room facing the street and it was a little noisy, hence called the front desk and have the room changed. The staff were very accommodating and changed the rooms within the hour.
The room was also a little small and the bathroom is a little 'tight'.

Location is great and staff are always there to give you a hand.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear mstsc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that our associates were accommodating and changed your room for you. May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com.

Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just finished teaching a dental course here and the Westin's staff was outstanding. Every way we turned, they were helping us. One young gentleman, Zachary Weinstein, especially stood out as so pleasant and SO on the ball. I really wanted to pack him up and take him home to South Dakota with me! ;). Nice job hiring, manager John Conmee! ;)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Dentalassist,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that your event with us was successful and that our associates were eager to help! We will share your positive comments with Zachery and John!