“Will not return”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I used to stay at the Westin exclusively a few years ago. Recently I have been traveling to Calgary again every few months for an extended period of time. I was disappointed in the service we received, we did not feel valued as guests. Our room was not cleaned because unbeknownst to us, we were signed up for the green program, meaning our room was not to be cleaned. We stated we did not want this program when we checked in and were signed up for it anyway. Our bed was comfortable and the room was clean when we arrived, I was dissatisfied with their cleaning (when they actually came) throughout our stay. The location of this hotel is alright but there are several other hotels downtown with much better location (Hyatt Regency for example). I was extremely disappointed with The Westin and would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you are doing self park, ask for a room that is not in the business tower. If you do self park a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TaraM88
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear TaraM88,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay.

Please accept my apologies for being registered by mistake to our environmental program.

May I please request that you contact Andrea Fernando at andrea.fernando@westin.com so that we can further investigate the issues you experienced.

Didier Luneau

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nothing to complain about here. It is a typical Westin: reliable service, good SPG elite recognition, late check out, and clean. The Starbucks closes too early on the weekend, and there are no decent spots to eat nearby. Everything closes early in Downtown Calgary on Sundays. The little lounge off to the side from the reception is nice for lunch. It made me feel like I was in a more cosmopolitan place than just Calgary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend last June for a night,
Everything was great, just what I was expecting from Westin.
Got a comp upgrade only because I requested a higher floor, which was awesome,
and room was clean, btw I love those Westin Heavenly bath products!
Only downside was the pool, not that it wasn't good enough but it was located in another building we had to come down and go up again.
But overall very nice, staff were friendly, will come back here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I am a plat. guest at Marriott and very loyal to the brand, but have not been happy with their changing policies, so decided to do a Gold challenge with SPG. On biz visit with my daughter to Calgary, I stayed at The Westin. Upon check in, Crystal represented Westin with professionalism and a true sense of customer service and hospitality, even sending up a welcome amenity for my daughter to help celebrate the Stampede and welcome us to SPG - a great touch and very much appreciated. The room was a junior suite and very well appointed, included a tv in the mirror, which last I saw on my stay at the Ritz. Although it is an older hotel, I would say the rooms are recently renovated and quite large and comfortable. Hotel is located near transit, saddle dome and other tourist areas.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear tdcguy,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am delighted to hear that Crystal made you and your daughter feel welcome. I hope you enjoyed Stampede and we look forward to seeing you again.

Be well

Didier Luneau

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have used this hotel a few times, expensive as per all Calgary downtown hotels but certainly as good and probably better than most.
Rooms are fairly spacious and facilities good. Breakfast was good, buffet style, but maybe falls a little short compared with some. The connected steakhouse and the hotel restaurant are excellent quality. Got to go for the Salmon in the hotel restaurant!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have never been disappointed in any Westin Hotel and this one proves the point. The best bed I've ever slept in. The area is within walking to everything. The flowers have to be one of the best things. Hanging baskets are the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Don't go during the stampede if you want quiet times unless you want to go and have and have a l...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here June 28 to July 5. Hotel lobby was clean, reception friendly and helpful, cabs always available outside, and there's a Starbucks located in the lobby. Could not connect to Wifi in room so had to go to lobby to get a connection. Not sure if it was just my room. Room on 15th floor was quiet and temperature in room was comfortable. Did not have to adjust thermostat. The weather went up to 30 deg Celsius, but the A/C in the room kept things cool. There is an ice machine on the floor and it was great to have ice cold beverages in the evenings. TV in room had mainstream American programs, Canadian shows, and programs in French. The Core shopping mall and the train is about 3-4 blocks away. Easy walking distance. The pedestrian shopping area {Stephen Avenue walk) and the Calgary Tower are also within walking distance. There is a Tim Hortons across the street from the hotel if you want donuts and sandwiches. Starbucks in lobby was convenient, but the hours were 7 am to 5 pm. Sometimes I wanted a coffee or a cold beverage outside of those hours so I made a stop at Tim Hortons. I had a great rib steak at the Keg Restaurant which is attached to the hotel and accessible via the lobby. Steak was highly seasoned (peppery), thick and juicy. Don't miss the mini mango creme brulee for dessert. There is an Irish pub across the street and an Old Spaghetti Factory a block away. There are many food options from this location. The staff even got into the Calgary Stampede mood (which started July 4th) by dressing in Western shirts and hats.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo