“lipstick renos and young staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Oslo
“lipstick renos and young staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

I usually stay here while on business in Calgary but not anymore. As per usual, I booked a business room package that includes internet, breakfast, calls etc and a room in the business tower which I appreciate for its quiet clientele. The rooms are a little tired but recently renovated to be decent enough. This time, upon checking in, I found myself dealing with a young woman who welcomed me and proudly told me that I have been upgraded to a business room! After pointing out that I have already booked a business room at full price (the most expensive they offer) she then told me that the room would not be ready for 45 minutes. Fair enough - I was early - but she did not need to add (in a condescending way) that check in was actually for 4pm. One would think that a customer whoe is a gold spg member and one who would book a full price room would already know this but she had to say it anyway. I came back in 45 minutes only to be told very coldly that it would be another 45 minutes.
Being jet lagged, late for a meeting and feeling that I was being subjected to rude service, I asked for the number to the Sheraton Eau Claire. I phoned and asked if there was a club room available. There was, so I booked, canceled my Westin reservation, collected my things and walked over where I was welcomed with a smile and treated like a professional. I will never look back. The Westin lost over $1000 of my business for a two night stay due to the rude and unwelcoming behaviour of their staff. What a pity.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hotelguruoslo
westin_calgary, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
On behalf of The Westin Calgary please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. We value your feedback and will utilize your comments for further training to ensure consistency with our service delivery. We hope to have the chance to welcome you again in order to regain your confidence as a loyal SPG traveler.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Naperville, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

I stayed here for a night while treaveling on business. The hotel was clean and nice. The staff was friendly. The rooms were clean and well maintained. Self park is $25 a night in the garage below. Internet in the rooms was not free and I did not sign in. I was not able to adjust the fan speed in the room so it was on full all night and I was not able to turn the temperature down low either as the AC was not yet on for the season (but the window opened so I got some fresh air). I ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was good and I ate dinner at the restaurant and it also was good. There were quite a few people at the bar in the evening. There is a full Starbucks in the hotel too. The hotel is right downtown so you can walk around there. Would recommend but might also check for less expensive alternatives.

2 Thank travelsalotoo
Edmonton AB Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

Stayed at the Westin for 2 nights and wasn't overly impressed. The front desk girl was alright but not all that welcoming. She might have been having a bad day. The room itself was nicely decorated and renovated. It had the usual 4 star hotel feel which was nice. I was quite surprised how small our room was. It was a room built for 1 person and would have been alright if it were just me staying there. One facecloth in the very tiny bathroom, only had a stand up shower which was fine for us, 1 chair and as I stated very much set up for one person. Kind of disappointing considering the room was booked for 2 people. We've stayed at many upscale hotels and a sign of a great Hotel is how the attention to detail is. I just didn't feel like there was much. The wine glasses and other two glasses were full of dust which would lead me to believe that this room hadn't been used in awhile. The towels and comforter were a bit dirty as well. We were in room 1001, do not stay in this room as there is a service door that constantly gets slammed, and rattles the bed. I'm usually not a complainer but I found this hotel to be just okay overall. The pool was really nice, used the fitness center and it was good, hot tub was a bit small for such a big hotel and was packed one night. I have stayed at the Delta down the street and found it to be much better. I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn and the service did not compare. We didn't want to leave the Hampton and could not believe how great and friendly the service was. I'm not sure if a lot of the rooms are small but if it's two of you staying I would look into it for sure.

2 Thank oilers8389
Tecumseh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I would highly recommend for business trips. Right downtown Calgary.
Food is just ok; but breakfast is great.
Gym area could be improved.
Staff were amazingly kind and helpful; they almost acommodated every request I made.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank NewVp
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

Good business hotel in downtown Calgary

Food is somewhat mediocre and overpriced but location is convenient to downtown. Main restauarants are chains operating within hotel - starbucks, the keg (chain steakhouse)

Hotel is quiet and has reasonable decor for the price

Prices are ok. I would stay here again for business

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank RStokes
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a weekend trip. The bed was soo comfy. The room was clean and well decorated. We had room service for breakfast and it was very good.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jainsterk
maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and got a great rate from a friend

but everytime I dropped by the desk to ask a question, the lady I ran into ignored what i had to say! or said someone could help me!I wish I got her NAME. I have worked in customer service before and I honestly think she even got upset I was talking to her! not a good business practice!
I tried sending my husband and he said the same thing! i hope somone reads this cause, wow!

plus the rooms are small!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple