“Pretty nice”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Calgary Downtown
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was on a work trip for a couple days and stayed here. The bed was huge and comfortable my room was very clean. The conference room they had wasn't too bad, they also had lunches and breakfasts catered the food was pretty decent. I also enjoyed that they had a Starbucks in the lobby area! I really had no reason to leave they had everything i needed work wise. But i have been Calgary many times before and they have a beautiful downtown which is where the hotel is located.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Calgary Downtown

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I spent more than a year at this hotel and got to know the staff well. The hotel is a bit aged, most of the time it is clean with the odd case or two occurences, decent service and is close to the downtown core. The staff are nice and courteous. I did manage to get Platinum status during my stay and enjoy the club lounge floor. However, note that there are times you will encounter inconsistent service. During peak season during times where there are Oil & Gas conferences or the Stampede, the staff are new and the service quality goes downhill. Be prepared for that! It's happened many times and it has not changed. While I enjoyed my time there, a couple issues came up and as a Platinum member I had expected better. This made me go elsewhere for the time-being. I will eventually go back, but as time passes. Overall, decent hotel, decent price and close proximity to the downtown core are the pluses.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank luv_vino_trvl
GMatDBV, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments and your loyalty over the past year and do look forward to welcoming you back in 2014. Certainly, over the course of a year we do hire new employees and have a strong orientation and training program. Having said that during the Global Show and Stampede we do experience increased number of guests and we do our best to provide service excellence to each and everyone during these high demand periods. I do wish to apologize for the service inconsistencies you experienced on occasion. I wish to thank you for being a Privilege member and congratulate you on achieving Platinum status over the past year, which will serve you well in 2014.

Kind regards
James Tingley, General Manager

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We recently stayed here on a Saturday night as we had a company Christmas party at one of the restaurants on 8th Ave. This hotel is within easy walking distance and ensures that the entire evening is seamless. We didn't have to worry about getting a cab home or even about where to park our car while we were at the restaurant.

We had a club floor suite to enjoy. There was a wonderful view out our window - overlooking the city. The suite was clean and had a very nice sitting area. After the party we had a few friends come back with us -- so we definitely appreciated the livingroom area.

Breakfast the next morning was bountiful and fresh.

A great property to enjoy in downtown Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

The rooms were great and the service was excellent! The pool and hot tub were very clean and the fitness facility was great. My only piece of advice is do not eat at the restaurant. Its awful and expensive. A short walk around will take you to lots of great dining. My favorite was Hokkaido sushi.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This was the first year the company I work for booked our Christmas party at the Delta Bow Valley. Part of our Christmas party celebration is the offer to stay at the hotel. I booked an additional night as a treat for myself and my husband and on the Saturday morning he discovered the showerhead was broken and all that came through was cold water...however the hotel quickly moved our luggage to a different room whilst we were out for breakfast. The bedding was lovely; toiletries gentle and coffee supplied in the room was very tasty. The catering for our Christmas party was excellent and all dishes received good comments. I am already looking forward to next year's Christmas party at the Delta Bow Valley.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
GMatDBV, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad to hear that your first company Christmas party at the Delta Bow Valley was enjoyed. We look forward to welcoming you back and again building traditions during the holiday season.
James Tingley, General Manager

Reviewed 8 December 2013

For a weekend in downtown Calgary, my wife and I stayed at the Delta Bow Valley and came away impressed.

Firstly, we managed to book at a discount rate and felt we got great value for our money. Certainly there are higher end properties in downtown Calgary, but for most guests the Delta will be more than what they need.

We were extremely happy with the front desk staff -- they were incredibly friendly and courteous and a credit to the hotel... this is the kind of service you expect when you visit a name-brand hotel of this calibre, but don't always get.

The room we stayed in had been renovated and looked very nice overall. It might have been a touch on the dark side, but with Calgary's days growing shorter and pretty miserable weather for our visit, that might have contributed to that impression. It had everything we needed and we were quite comfortable (as seems to usually be the case, the bathroom --while nice -- was the big giveaway that this was a new coat of gloss over an older room).

Knowing the Calgary market, we felt that parking pricing is fair for weekdays at the Delta, but I can't comment on the garage because we didn't partake... paying the same price on the weekend is a pretty dismal deal. We did a bit of research and parked instead at a nearby parkade (as well as a little bit on the street) for a fraction of the cost.

The hotel's location is not bad, just a quick walk to Chinatown and not particularly far from many downtown points of interest. However, on this front the hotel is hard pressed to live up to its competition, with several hotels located near the Calgary Tower and Stephen Avenue and several others located to the west, better situated between Eau Claire Market and Stephen Avenue. That closer proximity to attractions would have been nice to have... but it's hardly a dealbreaker. (And we enjoyed a nice dinner on our first night at the nearby Booker's Crab Shack, which we probably wouldn't have visited had we been staying a little more centrally).

All in all we were very happy with the Delta (and especially its staff) and would stay there again without question.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here for business (so I did not rate it on value for money, as my company was invoiced.) From the start the hotel was professional, and service was outstanding - nothing was too much trouble. I forgot a personal item so I called down to ask if I could buy one from the front desk, and they bought one up for free within 5 minutes. The hotel lobby is very impressive and my room was great. They also had mugs with camomile tea on offer in the rooms, which is quite unusual - I usually just find cheap coffee at the hotels we stay at.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business