“not a keeper”

Ranked #82 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Winnipeg, Canada
“not a keeper”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

usually sandman is a safe bet. was in calgary for conservative convention.Very disapointed in almost every thing about the room. 6:00 am and no hot water, wallpaper in bathroom actually fell off on to the floor, while i was using the bathroom sink the water was running out of the drain onto the floor. Vanity bathroom shelves were covered in mold. in the room the carpet was in horrible condition, i actually tripped over it a few times.The view outside my room was the hotel HVAC system where employees would go to have there smoke breaks, so i had to keep my curtains closed, would have anyways because of all the garbage out there. there was a mysterious white glob of something on the wall, didn't want to touch it, looked liked it was there for a while.I commented on the condition of the room on check out and was supprised when i was told that floors 4 to 8 were pretty much all in the same condition and that they were aware of every thing i was telling them. not recommended in any fashion, would stay anywhere at any price other than there. they know its bad and they just don't care.

Room Tip: best tip is don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank paintguys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Elevator security does not work, internet is in and out, area is not as safe as other hotels downtown, food in restaurant is not great, lots of shady people hanging inside and outside of hotel, maintenance issue in room, no door peep holes, no hot warm in the mornings.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ssu11321
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for comments. Although your personal experience has indicated on the contrary, the positive reviews and in-house comments that we receive is a true testament of our strong relationships with our loyal and valued guests who take the time to communicate with us during their hotel experience with us. For those, as in your case where there is no line of communication, it is logical that you would depart feeling a sense of disappointment and for that we empathize.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 5 nights for a business trip. The wifi was extremely bad in the room. It was not just intermittent - it was impossible to log on.

One morning there was no hot water for a 6.45am shower.

The hotel response was "we are full and everybody uses wifi and hot water".

Not recommended.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel was sold out... so the showers were cold and the WiFi kept failing. There was a dent in the wall of my room and the room layout was awkward and inconvenient. Tiny cramped bathroom. Uninspiring decor. Staff are friendly and try hard but don't make up for the shortcomings of an older hotel with aging amenities. Needs a price reduction (I paid $129) to reflect the poor quality.

• Stayed November 2013
Burnley
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After reading so many scathing reviews about the Sandman, I was worried what I was letting myself in for, but I turned out to be pleasantly surprised.

We found it easy to navigate our way into the city and we parked on the underground car park without any problems (charge was $34 for 3 nights, which I thought was reasonably for Calgary) Reception was immaculate and our room was large, comfortable and very clean. The tram stop is right outside the front door and travel between 8th and City Hall is FREE!

The only minor niggle is that the service in the 1st floor bar left a lot to be desired, but they did seemed to be understaffed with only 1 waitress and 1 bar staff working on a busy Saturday night.

Aside from that, this is an ideal hotel in a great location, so I don't know why so many people have given poor reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Happy to recommend this fine hotel. All expected amenities are here? Clean rooms, comfy beds. Maybe a bit dated. The toilet suite was unstable. Restaurant very good value. Location is great with free trams outside. Stay a while as Calgary has lots to see and do.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. !!!!!!THEY ARE ROBBERS!!!!!Myself and my partner moved from Ireland to Canada on a working visa at the start of September. We are a couple aged 21 and decided to start a new life we heard canada is a beautiful place and lovely people. We stayed at sandman hotel. As we were travelling of course we had cash with us and literally all are belongings. So on are 3rd day staying at the hotel we were out viewing apartments as we arrive back to hotel room that evening we realise all are bags had been gone through !!! We checked where we had hidden are cash ($2,000) now this was very well hidden you had to literally search and go through all of are belongings to find this so we realised are cash and all my bank details had been ROBBED!!!!!! We immediately went down to reception and got the manager and called the police. The manager said they would do a lock check this would show who has been in and out of are room as it was not a forced entry. They did this and it showed the cleaner had been in are room at 11am and again at 1pm .... She had no reason to be in are room twice so it proved she robbed us!!! The police came and said there is nothing we can do unless she admits it!!! So next day we had a meeting with the manager SUSAN HARPER and she brought the cleaner in who cleaned are room JOSELINE and the manager had the cheek to say to us does she look like a robber to use???she then said I am going to be biased with my staff and I don't think she would do this hahahahhahah they are a JOKE this hotel so basically we arrive no where to live all are cash had been robbed by a cleaner that was for an apartment and my bank details and we were left homeless a women I talked to online took us into her home.

The manager then said we will not charge you for your stay which was $850 because of what happened it still wasn't good enough but we had to go.
Only to realise a week and a half later she took the money from my account which literally left me with no money!!!! We went back down to the hotel and SUSAN HARPER said I never said I wouldn't charge you I don't want to give you any of it back but the other manager said to give you HALF of it back . As a mere gesture if kindness....ARE. YOU SERIOUS!!!!
She tried make me sign a privacy form before she even gave me half my money back but I refused.

So I'm WARNING everyone not to stay here they have horrible staff especially SUSAN HARPER I've never met a women like her in my life. She treats you like a piece of dirt on her shoe.And you are going to be robbed by the cleaners and they don't even get interviewed about what happened they get to go back to work the next with a MASSIVE bonus every time they rob poor innocent people.

I wouldn't even give them a star but it made me before I could write any thing. Also Internet doesnt work , rooms a kip, staff are a disgrace waited 20mins at bar for a ice water!!!!!They lie on the internet what the rooms look like.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you want to leave with no money and still be robbed weeks later as they have...
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Niamh K
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
It is sincerely disheartening to the Sandman Calgary City Centre that you are unsatisfied despite the due processes that were practiced on your behalf. We as hoteliers, who are in the industry of building and maintaining relationships, empathize with your frustration and undoubtedly cooperated with the authoritative parties upon your request. It is unfortunate that the outcome established by the authorities did not find a resolution to your pleasing and for this we appreciate your disappointment. The legal processes that are on record, found the Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre of no criminal activity following all measures of proper follow up.

We take these types of allegations extremely serious, therefore it is not only our company mandate but also our insistence in finding the truth to any matter involving any one of our staff members and valued guests alike. The safety and privacy of both parties is of the utmost importance to the Sandman Chain as a whole.

This is apparent in our policy as well as per Privacy Act By-Law, we disclose hotel guest information only following a Privacy Act release signed by the registered guest. Although it may appear taxing to you to have been required to adhere to this policy, it is a legal mandate and one that is executed with a purely unbiased intent.

We had hoped that despite the Sandman Calgary City Centre being recognized of no wrong doing through the thorough efforts of the local authorities, our gesture of good will by extending a partial refund for your frustration would have offered some degree of comfort. It is apparent that you have failed to accept resolution of your situation and I, Susan Harper as you have referenced to in your comments, do whole heartedly empathize, as your losing your funds through your travels and the results through investigation did not prove to be in your favor, has surely left you feeling a sense of ill will.

My Team and I do wish you the best in your future endeavors and hopefully one day following some measure of practical reflection, you will find conclusion in your loss.