“Tired hotel”

Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times during the last 20 years but this will be our last. The room decor is tired and worn, horrible nylon covers on the bed. It was unusually cold during our stay and although the rooms were warm the reception area was freezing - the poor receptionists were in coats/scarves and gloves. I would. I would not recommend that you stay here - there are lots more comfortable hotels in the vincinity

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel is highly overrated and over-priced. My experience was not good.
- the hall carpets look like they have not been vacuumed in weeks
- the overall look of the hotel is 'tired' - dark brown carpets and walls that need paint
- there was no tissue paper in the bathroom when I arrived
- the maid did not clean up the coffee maker - just left a new pouch
- most of the time the key cards did not work
- the room lighting is poor - bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling.
- I was given a 'special seniors rate' of $154.00 + $18.89 taxes per night. For the quality of the hotel and the room, it should have been around $100 with taxes.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jim B
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Following your recent telephone conversation with the Calgary Police Service/Hotel - Motel Unit, I hope that you were left with some assurances that the Sandman Calgary City Centre is not a “target” hotel of this crime and is shared amongst all business owners/operators. Perpetrators as in your incident do exist, as sad as this fact is, I cannot stress enough that we as a viable and reputable business operation, have taken all the necessary measures in providing the required security. As the constable with Calgary Hotel - Motel Police Unit stated, our efforts did prove fruitful where our dedicated staff's altercation with the suspect, played a key role in the individual being detained with the Calgary Police Service.

It is disheartening that the timing of your call with the Calgary Police Service followed your recent post as it is collectively agreed that the Sandman Calgary City Centre did in fact respond in kind to your incident.

Nonetheless, I do hope that you are not only left with assurances of the Sandman Calgary City Centre’s dedication to our guest comfort and safety, but also Calgary as a whole.

Thank you for your patience through this difficult time. We wish you all the best in the Holiday Season and a very prosperous New Year.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was a guests at Sandman Inn Downtown Calgary on Nov 2, 2013. As a previous guest at other Sandman locations, I was confident that I would have the same great customer service and prompt response. Unfortunately, this wasn't the situation. Upon arrival I was informed that I would have to park my vehicle in the reserved Sandman Hotel parking stalls located outside due to my truck not making the height clearance. I was given a AMA window decal that indicated that all values have been removed from my vehicle and that the area was monitored regularly by security. I placed this card on my dash as instructed. Around 5am I was notified by the front that my vehicle was one of 2 guests vehicles that had been broken into. This was a huge disappointment, but didn't blame the hotel until I began dealing with the situation and soon realized that the hotel was partially at fault. My encounter with the police gave me the impression that this was a problem in that area and the hotel has this type of situation on a regular basis. I then inquired about security patrolling the area that was assigned to guests and the officer's response was that the breakins happened early in the evening due to no snow tracks and the amount of snow that accumulated around the vehicles.The breakin wasn't noticed until around 5 am. That gives us a 6-8 hour window. So basicly there was no security patrolling after midnight when this type of thing usually happens. My next question to the officer was about cameras? The officer replied that they had a camera, but it isn't in the correct spot to catch anything where the vehicles are being parked in the assigned spots. This was very disappointing due to the fact that if they indeed had security patrolling the area and had cameras visible to the public and in fact worked, this might of prevented the breakins. Checking out of the hotel that morning confirmed that the hotel knew of these on going problems and has not tried to solve or enhance their security to help their guests. The customer service while checking out was very cold and not sympathetic of the situation. The clerked laughed when I asked that the room should be compensated due to the fact I think they were half reliable. The front desk clerk said that they would compt my parking charge of $5. What a slap in the face!!! Maintenance did help me clean the broken glass up and make a cardboard window to help me stay warm on my travels home, which I appreciated. I was very disappointed once again when the maintenance guy started making comments on how my window and truck damage wasn't that bad and I should have seen last weeks vehicle. He made it sound like cleaning glass up and making cardboard windows were a daily thing for him. I used to love staying at the Sandman for their affordable, clean rooms and outstanding customer service. This experience was a huge disappointment, even after contacting the Hotel Manager through email, I still have no answers and the lack of interest shown from her confirms they have no intensions on fixing this huge problem! To those who are thinking about staying at this particular hotel in Downtown Calgary, reconsider their slogan " Best Value Downtown"! I am out $1200 due to this experience! I hope this helps with your decision or at least you have a heads up on what you may be facing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Leah C
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night. Very sketchy, dirty, hotel (Moxies the Restaurant is good) Car broken into (yes in the Parkade!)Stolen GPS, Cash & $200 for the broken window. Hotel is relatively cheap, but expensive in the long run. Stay Away! Please stay away!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Robert G
GMSandman26, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Calgary City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your comments and we empathize with your disappointment, however this type of incident is most definitely not isolated to the Sandman Calgary City Centre, nor is it isolated only to hotels and only to Calgary. I am confident that you would agree that although a disappointing fact, that culprits like in your encounter, exist despite the business operator's efforts. Despite this fact, we most definitely practice every measure as a viable hotel operator in remaining proactive in the fight against crime by enforcing our security measures. We take the safety and security of our valued patrons very seriously. Matters like yours, absolutely require proper channels to be followed. Proper police reports are mandated between the vehicle owner and the Calgary Police Service. This is a standard process. In addition to this procedure, the hotel has proper notification posted to all guests to remove valuables from their vehicles. Again, this is also a common practice in hopes followed by all responsible vehicle owners.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

we walked into the hotel after being on a bus for hours, you could tell they were judging us as we were not in suits and ties.. we checked into our room very clean and tidy then went on down to the whirlpool which is not a whirlpool false advertisment! so dont get your hopes up like we did!! we only stayed 1 night when we checked out my security deposit wasnt refunded and i had to email twice before getting any response then the manager on duty ended up emailing me someone elses private documents.. it took me 2 months to get my deposit money back.. not happy!! be careful!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mshcollins
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Sandman Hotel in Calgary, this place was very difficult to find as you enter the city from the west.
Parking was fun down in the depths of the hotel looking for a space that was not reserved for corporate clients. Still, we found one in the end. Found our room and was good enough for one night in the city. Not much character in it's favour, two large beds, plenty of tea and coffee available, good sized bathroom.
We didn't spend very long in this hotel on arrival as we headed out into the city to try and find somewhere for dinner. Not the warmest welcome or farewell of the hotels we have visited in Canada. It's always off putting when you arrive at a hotel and find the remains of room service littering the corridors and landings to the rooms. Strikes me that this hotel caters for the business traveller. One night was truly enough...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank domidge
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was here on business for three nights. The property is older, but has a nice modernization. The location is good. I would stay here again. The light rail is right outside the door, parade is useless if you are driving a pickup truck.

• Stayed: November 2013