“Decent”

Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Decent”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I love this location -- it is so close to offices, shopping etc., plus right on the c-train line. I don't mind the homeless people outside -- that's downtown. And no one actually bothered me.

I booked a king suite with a kitchen. From the description and the photos I thought it would be a bit bigger than it was. The room is not well laid out. You walk in and there is this tiny tiny bathroom to the right of the door and a kitchen closed off to the left of the door. If they would open up the walls around the kitchen area to the rest of the room, this room would feel much bigger. Or, swap the kitchen for the bath area, as the kitchen area seems larger than the bath area. (Although that may not actually be the case). Other than thinking my room would be a bit larger, I liked it. The tv was nice (flat screen) and large. I loved having windows on two sides of the room. I slept with my blinds open and woke up as the sun rose (perfect in January -- I wouldn't want to do that in June!).

The bed was very comfortable and overall the room decor was quite pleasant. It would be nice to have some kind of a separate vanity area, or put the sink area outside the bathroom, as the sink and vanity in the bathroom were so tiny and hardly useable. The door in the bathroom had to be closed to have any decent use of it. It was very tight. It was the smallest vanity I have ever seen!

The kitchen was more than adequate, with a coffee maker, microwave, fridge and dishes. There were plenty of cupboards and countertops -- unnecessary, in my view. I wish that space was opened up to the rest of the room. The king bed is the perfect size for the room -- there is still plenty of room to walk around in it, and one sitting chair, a large desk and desk chair. Two of the pendulum lights did not work (I did not call anyone to report this -- I kind of forgot and there was enough other lighting). There were not enough plug ins. Please stock your rooms with a power bar or add more plug ins. In this day and age, we travellers need to charge phones, tablets, laptops, and some times cameras and GPS's and other devices. I had to unplug the alarm clock to have a place close to my bed to plug in my phone and tablet so that I could use them while they were plugged in.

The pool/atrium looked nice. I didn't use it. The gym was decent - about 5 or 6 machines. I didn't use it as I got quite the workout walking all around downtown. I didn't use room service or the restaurant. The bar looked interesting. Didn't go there either.

The room was fairly quiet. You are downtown, so there will always be downtown noises, ambulances, police sirens etc. I was on the end, in a corner suite and had no inside hotel noise. I didn't hear anyone above me or any hallway noises that one so often hears in hotels. I enjoyed the downtown ambience. As I mentioned above, I never once felt unsafe. Downtown is safe. There is a taxi stand outside the side door, on the street side (not the avenue). Always seemed to be taxis available. I even got one in rush hour. Front desk staff was fine. Nothing special but nothing to complain about either.

The price was reasonable. I had an upgraded room and paid parking and my total bill was $250. Personally, I think this is pricey but compared to other downtown hotels, it is a bargain for a week day hotel That's one reason why I stayed there. The other reason was that my appointment was only 3 blocks away. Very convenient.

Also very close by are a 24 hour McDonalds, a convenience store, a subway, a Tim Horton's, a drug store and a liquor store. Major shopping in TD Square and the downtown Bay is a 10 minute walk away.

I didn't have any problems with the free wifi. It worked well for me.

Parking is good -- underground, heated but you pay extra for it ($24 per day). One nice perk is that they let you keep your car there til 6 p.m. on the day of checkout. Thank you. Good move!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank xxhermxx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Downtown Calgary are really expensive, so that's the best of the worst. Not to bad located. The staff is pleasant. Room are updatd and would need some upgrade. When to the restaurant hotel (more than once) and the service is not so good. Long to get attention and to get serve.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

During the 3 nights I spent in Jan 2014, I got wake up by my neighbours (different each time). Well located in the city on 7th av, the hotel has a pleasant bar, restaurant and room service which serve good food. The staff is also very pleasant. Internet in not so great and the room are ageing so would need a rework. The bed was a little firm so very confortable. I'll recommande it on business trip for few days.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dartmouth
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

If you need a roof over your head, this is fine. If you want cleanliness, comfort and good amenities, this isn't the place for you.
Front desk receptionists were friendly, after you get through the drunk and stoned people outside the door. It is a bad part of town.
Went for dinner at Moxies upstairs. It was terrible. There was a table of three sitting by us and they had brought their own boom box. They played rap music - loudly - during dinner...over the restaurant's music. No one did anything about it or attempted to say anything to them. I have never seen anything like it. I asked the waitress if they were regulars and she said yes. Unreal.
The fitness equipment is outdated and needs attention. The tiles are hanging out of the ceiling and it is dirty.
The rooms are small, outdated and uncomfortable. They have free wifi.
The heat/air conditioner is the old type where you open the little door on the unit and turning the dial. So the room is always too hot or too cold. I will never stay there again. But if you don't care about these things, it's fine.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HABond

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Edmonton
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed there during X'mas and the hotel is quiet. Got assigned a corner room surrounded by apartment buildings. Rooms is clean and tidy but may need some maintenance attention.
in-door car park is nice and the price is very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is overpriced and frustrating.

I called ahead and asked the reception clerk where I could park before I received my parking pass; I was told to park in the Vinci lot and then to check in at reception and return to my vehicle with the pass.

In the short time it took me to register, I received a parking ticket. The front staff said that they would look after it for and I was so pleased that I tipped them $10. What a waste of money as I still have that parking ticket and I am in my second round of appeals with Vinci Parking.

Also, in the rooms the water turns scalding hot without warning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandyandStephanie
England
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times during the last 20 years but this will be our last. The room decor is tired and worn, horrible nylon covers on the bed. It was unusually cold during our stay and although the rooms were warm the reception area was freezing - the poor receptionists were in coats/scarves and gloves. I would. I would not recommend that you stay here - there are lots more comfortable hotels in the vincinity

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends