“Average”

Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
rockhampton
“Average”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Average hotel, average room, average restaurant, average service! Nothing much else to say about the place, doesn't really leave a lasting impression, it was just so average. One of those places you can hardly remember staying at!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Cairns
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We arrived at The Sandman on 2nd June 2014 at 7.00 PM as part of the Rocky Mountaineer package. Firstly baggage handling was supposed to be included, they don't offer this and at no time with us struggling with bags did they offer assistance. On arrival there was one staff member for check in, by the time we got in there were eight people in the line, check in took some time. Some foreign guests were asked for passports, we weren't just photo ID was required. Still no assistance offered for baggage. Some issues:
- Lift were slow and at times did not work, stuck on ground floor with lift not working,
- Ice Machine did not work,
- Room swipe key worked at first but stopped working after first entry to the room,
- Asked best way to get to the airport, advised that the airport shuttle was $15.00 per person, I requested to book for 11.00 on 3rd June, I was advised it would be easier to get a taxi for $38.00 - $40.00. I asked why pay the extra and advised it would be easier.
- On check out still no assistance with baggage and had to ask if the Airport shuttle was ours as the name the driver had was not ours but we were the only booking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peter_Cairns_11

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been a supporter of this hotel since the late 1990's. It is good value and well located.

However, I am my hotel room right now and in the hallway is a small table. In the early afternoon, there had been a tray of left over food and a Ziploc bag of homemade food. When I came back in the later afternoon, a the tray of Nachos was gone but the bag of food is still there, along with a rolled up diaper, which I assume is full. It is now bed time, and on my way back to the hotel, the bag of food and the diaper is still there. Makes me shake my head... kinda gross don't you think..

I still don't mind the hotel, just this is totally a bad incident and unacceptable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank VancouverMan
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Must say, this wasn't my first choice due to some of the negative reviews, but there was nothing else available downtown for the week I was staying so I took it.

I don't get the negative reviews. The rooms arent huge, but theyre clean, and the beds are comfortable. The comments about the shower are definitely correct.. My choices some days were either scalding hot or cold, but I'm not going to penalize them too badly for that.

The location is downtown. Right on the light rail line, which is free to use. I was midway up the tower, so the noise wasn't too bad, but I'm a heavy sleeper so even if it was it wouldn't have mattered.

Yea you'll probably get asked for change once or twice, but that's like any other big city's core; I never once felt threatened or in danger, even in the middle of the night.

The restaurant (Moxies) on the main floor and lounge on the 2nd floor are nice places to eat or have a drink, though a bit pricey.
The fitness room is large.

Everything you could want is within walking distance, but if a 20 minute walk is too much for you for some of the attractions, just hop on the train.

If the price was right I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again the next time I'm in the city.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Tyler B
Birmingham uk
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Dissapointing end to our Canada vacation. Room outdated, small and hot with very noisy old fashioned air-con unit. The bed/mattress must have been really old as we kept rolling into the middle as soon as we got in!. The bar had no atmosphere and the washrooms were a disgrace with towels all over the floor, full bins and dirty w/c's. This was the middle of the day and not later at night!
Had we have been staying longer we would have checked out. There must be many better options in Calgary.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, I guess! We had a high floor-22nd floor- so at least there was no traffic nois...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Beloeil, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Here for business, breakfast are nice, as arête suppers. Price is good and room sacre clean and confortable. Minutes away from the pedestrian restaurant area.
I would recommend it to my friends. Therés also à pharmacist, à Tim Hortons, a McDo and a Maćs right on the ôter side of the street really convenient. Nice pool but the gym is quite small.

Room Tip: If you're on 6 th street, the street sounds may brother you
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Callington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Spent two nights here at the beginning of our holiday. Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and good sized room, very comfortable bed. Tram just across street, free if you ars just going downtown. Devonian gardens are amazing and are on top floor of mall, lots of trees an5d plants, fispond even a childrens play area!! Restaurant very good on top of Calgary tower. Breakfast enormous and very tasty in restaurant in Sandman. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple