Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary
  • Restaurant
US$116
Hampton.com
US$58
Best Western Plus Suites Downtown(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$113
  • Restaurant
US$155
US$97
US$80
Carriage House Inn(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$113
US$83
US$168
US$119
All reviewsstudent residenceolympic ovalminute walkcontinental breakfastone bedroom suiteboiled eggsbar fridgeper dayyogurtfree wifidoing businessparking garagesmall kitchenmini fridgefront desk staffc trainflat screen tv
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed here for a conference at the U of C. Having lived on campus while attending U of C some years before, I couldn't even remember what had been at this location before the Alma!

I stayed in the 1 bedroom suite which was huge by my standards. The bedroom was large with a very large bed. Very well appointed., The small living room outside the bedroom had an uncomfortable sofa, but I didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. Love the small kitchenette and the large washroom. Very happy.

My only complaint was shortly after I got up for the conference at 5am I heard a very loud vacuum outside my room. Now, I was already up for the conference because I had to set up registration, but had I been a regular hotel guest this would have woken me up. There appears to be a lot of complaints about noise in this hotel and I can see that the complaints are not unfounded. I guess this stems from the hotel also being used as a makeshift dorm.

1  Thank WanderingBrunette
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2012

Hello Wandering Brunette!
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our One Bedroom Suites! Many of our guests share the same adoration for these rooms as you, making them a first choice among our recurring clientele.
It is very concerning that you were able to hear vacuuming sounds at such an early hour in the morning. Please be assured that a follow up with our Housekeeping Team will be done to make certain noisy cleaning procedures like this are preformed at an acceptable time during the day.
Hotel Alma is a multiple-purpose building with full-functioning hotel rooms on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors, student rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors and a restaurant and small retail space on the main level. Just over 2 years old, the building we are housed in is a unique mixed use development project, built with the intent of meeting the needs of both students and visitors to the University of Calgary campus, all under one roof. While we are very aware of noise in our building and are working hard to reduce its adverse effects on our guests, the majority of our issues with sound do not stem from being a multiple-purpose building. The physical separation between student floors and hotel guest floors aids in preventing the sights and sounds of student life from interfering with the requirements of our business and vacation clientele.
We hope business, or pleasure, brings you wandering back to Hotel Alma very soon! Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 3 nights. I was attending a conference on campus which made this hotel very convenient. The rooms were clean and modern, although I prefer a more homelike feel, particularly when visiting my former home of Calgary, where the Rocky mountain lifestyle prevails with leather and stone decors. It was a bit too modern for the ambience of campus.
I like to have places to go to read and sit by a fireplace and there was none, unfortunately.
I really liked the wet bar and fridge microwave in the room. Would have also liked an electric kettle to boil water as opposed to using the microwave. The coffee maker made excellent small quantities of coffee.
I missed having yogurt and granola at the breakfast - the food was very fresh and delicious!
Parking is not the best and this is the only thing I would change, as it was quite a distance to walk and at night campus is really not a safe place to be walking at night alone.
The recreation Center was close by but when I went in there to use it most of the equipment was well worn and very untidy.
I realize this is a University Center so it may not be executive level, by any means .
It was noisy in the room as you could hear people in the hall and next door quite easily .
The bed was too firm for me. The linens were nice!

1  Thank SharonC_ot
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Room clean and comfortable, has a fridge and microwave. My only complaint is the bed, it's a little more firm than I like. Decor very modern. Continental breakfast has been nice, fruit, toast, hard boiled eggs, Danishes, croissants and your usual beverages. Within walking distance to Foothills hospital, grocery stores and shopping. Now walking distance to me is under 3km so keep that in mind if you don't like those distances. I think this hotel is very good for price and location for what I needed!

1  Thank Skibunnymommy
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference nearby. Parking is a 5 minute walk away and they charge $8 a day for it. On first glance, the room seemed pretty nice...but as I settled in I became increasingly uncomfortable. It is very loud in the rooms, you can hear noise from the hallway as if there isn't even a door there. While the obvious stuff (floor, mirrors, linens) seemed clean, when I picked up the remote it was covered in this gross sticky substance and the spoon for the coffee had a coffee ring stain on it and obviously hadn't been touched since the last stay! I couldn't connect to the wireless internet and when I called the front desk, although they were courteous and wanted to help, it basically boiled down to "our network doesn't like apple products" and I just had to deal with not having wireless. Just when I thought the place couldn't get any worse...on the windows there were these ultra-modern panels that are supposed to slide, but they were broken and wouldn't slide across all the way so I slept with the parking lot light shining in. After spending the day in a conference I was looking forward to relaxing in my room, but when I arrived back at 4:30 p.m. (!!!) the cleaner was in the middle of cleaning the room. The cleaning staff are obviously overworked/understaffed and can't do a proper cleaning job or get it done in a reasonable time frame. You can find a much nicer hotel in Calgary for the same price, don't stay here!

2  Thank Bethadone
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Hello Bethadone,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

Let us first say that reading your review was extremely disheartening. It is completely unacceptable that you found the remote and utensils in your room in the state in which you did. Please be assured this neglect of service has been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager who will be following up with our Housekeeping Staff in regards to these issues. Upon reviewing our records, we were not able to locate any indication that you had contacted the Front Desk in regards to the grievances endured during your stay, which is unfortunate as we would have liked to have the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

As with any hotel, there are rooms which are closer to high traffic areas like the elevators, vending machines etc. which make them more vulnerable to higher levels of noise. Had the noise level of your room caused you such an inconvenience, we would have been more than willing to move you to a quieter room.

While Apple products do have some difficulties connecting to the university’s wireless network, there are a few settings that can be adjusted in order to allow for better access to the internet. On occasion, adjusting the settings does not always yield access to the internet, as the root of the problem lies in the configuration of the Apple devices themselves. Our IT team is aware of this issue and is working diligently to try and realize a solution. In the interim, all rooms are equipped with wired Ethernet cables. We do also have a guest computer in our lobby available for use 24/7.

It was very upsetting to learn that you had such a struggle with your blinds, especially to the point where you were forced to endure a night of sleeping with them stuck open. Please know we would have been able to have someone attend to the blinds immediately had you contacted the Front Desk to inform us that they were malfunctioning.

Our regular Housekeeping staff work from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm each and every day. Typically room service is conducted in the early afternoon but there are times, due to unforeseen circumstances, where room service may run into the late afternoon. We apologize that your room was not serviced at a time that was convenient for you. Please be assured we have adequate staffing in our Housekeeping department and have someone available to attend to guest needs 24/7.

Once again we do apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you endured during your stay with us here at Hotel Alma. We hope that should you return to Calgary you would grant us the opportunity to wow you with our service and improve your opinion of us.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The first night was horrendous with roofers waking us at 7am and functions in the room not working, but after complaining everything changed. They dropped the first night invoice and things really improved in the restaurant. We even had a dinner with faculty there and it was pleasant. The all-modern decor is fun and solid, though at times whimsical—great for a university.

The location is good for taxi service and walking throughout the university. Also good for rapid transit into Calgary downtown and suburbs. Bad connection to the airport (taxi only so far).

Strangely, some faculty and staff at the university do not know that the hotel exists. In the future there will be a hospitality degree offered with this on-campus establishment.

Room Tip: Never the top floor if there are roof repairs going on.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KyotoBound
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma at the University of Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Hello Kyoto Bound,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on Trip Advisor!

We do apologize that you were awoken by construction noises at such an early hour. Typically we are able to coordinate with our maintenance team to have them begin work closer to 9 AM, in order to accommodate our guests who are still sleeping before this time. Please be assured we understand the inconvenience of being woken before you desire to be and have followed up with all members of the maintenance team to ensure they are fully aware of a 9 AM start time here at the hotel.

While we do our best to ensure everyone on campus is in the know about Hotel Alma, via advertisements, billboards and updates in a weekly e-mail based newsletter sent to all staff and students, there are still a few who are unaware that there is a full-functioning hotel right in their backyard.

As you mentioned, taxi is the most convenient mode of transport between the hotel and the airport. There is also a private shuttle company, BP Shuttle, which offers service to and from the hotel to the airport. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the company directly. Also, guests may use Calgary Transit to travel between the hotel and the airport. Total time for this trip is around 90 minutes and does require a transfer downtown.

It brings us great pleasure to hear that we were able to rectify the issues you were facing with your stay in a manner which allowed you to enjoy the rest of your time here at Alma. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!