All reviews student residence olympic oval minute walk continental breakfast one bedroom suite boiled eggs yogurt free wifi coffee maker per day doing business small kitchen mini fridge c train flat screen tv sitting area convenient location
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed here on a brief business trip to the university. The rooms are small, but well appointed, albeit a little bit noisy with hallway noise filtering in etc... However, the beds are great, continental breakfast is more than you'd expect, and you can't beat the location if you are conducting business on campus or in the central NW.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed only one night but the location is fantastic if you're visiting the University of Calgary. Parking is an extra charge but is in a covered parkade, which is good if the weather is bad. Free phone calls locally and within Canada; free wifi; and continental breakfast included (fruit, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, toast, coffee, and tea) in the restaurant off the lobby. Restaurant does serve lunch, but don't expect full hotel food service (no room service, for example). There is a bar off the lobby but it seemed to be closed when I got back to my hotel at 9 pm on a Friday night; actually not a bad thing for a campus hotel because the noise could've been awful. Nice amenities in the room (coffee and tea; shampoo etc in bathroom). My room was tiny and I could have used a reading light on the bedside table, but there was a good-sized desk, TV, bar fridge, and microwave. Staff can arrange access to the rec facilities (pool etc.) which are right across the street, for an extra charge. Very friendly and helpful staff at the front desk.

Room Tip: Sound-proofing not good through the door, so try to get a room at the end of the hall, away from elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I had a great 2 night stay at this hotel. Service was excellent, and the rooms were surprisingly nice considering the hotel is in an old Dorm room on the UofC campus. I knew what the size of the room was going in, so I wasn't surprised by how compact everything was! The breakfast was great in the morning as well!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma & Seasonal Residence at the University of Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Thank you jiminy_fatal for taking the time to review Hotel Alma on your most recent stay & for giving us an excellent rating!!

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your two night stay with us. I thank you for your comments on the service provided by team Alma-we are very proud of them and have passed along your comments to them. You stayed in one of our Eurostyle rooms and we are glad to hear that you found the size comfortable-we tried hard to maximize comfort and style in our compact but cozy rooms. Though we are located directly on the University of Calgary's campus, we are a relatively new building which was built specifically as a hotel. As a result ,we do also offer larger one bedroom suites, should the need arise on a future stay for a larger accommodation.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Alma in the immediate future.

Thanks & Regards,
Team Alma.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I fell sick during my stay and had to prolong my stay to almost a week. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They brought me a humidifier, which really helped me a lot, and as much tea as I wanted.

The rooms are not big, but extremely clean. I was very satisfied with the room service, too.

The breakfast was good, too. I enjoyed the fresh fruits a lot.

Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mona195
AlmaManagement, Manager at Hotel Alma & Seasonal Residence at the University of Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you Mona 195 for taking the time to post a review of Hotel Alma. We appreciate your feedback regarding the staff and am very happy to hear of your pleasant experience during your stay with us. I am also pleased to hear that the location suited your needs, and that you enjoyed your time spent in one of our Eurostyle rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Alma in the future!

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed one night and wasn't sure what to expect. The staff was great, room was clean and furnishings were modern. Breakfast was very good ... coffee, fruit, juice, pancakes, bagels, pastries, and more. I now know what 200 square feet is, I could not believe how small the room was!! That being said, the room was comfy and fairly quiet. The only noise was when people opened or closed their doors .. the banging was a little annoying.

I didn't like the fact you had to walk almost a block to a parkade to get your vehicle, and there wasn't anywhere close to get something to eat (tried the student cafeteria and it wasn't great). We also had hoped to use the swimming pool but everything was locked up at 7:00 pm - it was a holiday weekend, so that may have been why.

If you were attending something at the U of C, this hotel is idea. If you want to do things around the city (shopping, restaurants, etc) I would probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Beach Lover 22, Thank you for taking the time and providing us with valuable feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Alma.

As has been identified by yourself, while the Parkade is indeed a quick 2-3 minute walk from the hotel, we chose that option as we felt that, given Calgary's inclement weather patterns throughout the year, a covered parking option for our guests was a better option than an open one. If special accommodation is required, we ask that you let us know, and we will do all that we can to ensure that you are satisfied.

The University of Calgary does have various dining options on campus, but during a long weekend the dining options do get quite limited. Our front desk team is well trained in providing the locations and directions to the nearby stadium plaza which hosts the Keg steak house, a sports bar and pub and the Red water rustic grill which received high honors by guests and local critic magazines.

Although there is no pool or gym within the hotel, all guests staying with us receive complimentary access passes to the Fitness facility, Olympic size swimming pool, rock climbing wall and squash courts which are located in the kinesiology complex across from Alma (less than 1 min walk). The front desk can also provide you with alternative indoor access to this complex if walking outside is not an option. Pool hours and access do vary from day to day. The schedule for can be provided by the front desk team.

However, I am certainly pleased to know your comments about our staff, room cleanliness and the modern furnishings which you have appreciated and we continously strive to take our levels of service higher with comments as such which encourages us to do better.

Once again, we apologize for some of the inconveniences that you encountered at Hotel Alma and hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity in the future to provide you with the level of service characteristic of stays at Hotel Alma.

Looking forward to serve you again at Hotel Alma!!