“Excellent service”

Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Patna, India
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a hotel alright within the university. The perk is that you get to use the university's gym and swimming pool and other sporting complexes for free. The down side is that you have to pay an extra $10 per night for parking. The hotel is very clean and quiet. There are many rooms and there are even conference rooms on the floors for various purposes. People are seasonal visitors and also tourists like us who come for a couple of nights. There is an iron, hairdryer, coffeemaker in each room. There is continental breakfast with some decent items but not great. I would definitely be going back there if I have to stay over in Calgary again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AlmaManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hello DRTRAVELLER14,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Alma. We are pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy some of the unique services that we are able to offer. We are happy to provide our guests access to the world class facilities on campus including the Olympic size pool, Olympic oval, and the university fitness centre.

Hotel Alma offers a wide range of room types for guests coming to the University or who are looking for affordable accommodation within an easy commute to downtown.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon.

Team Alma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The room they tried to put me in was a dormitory. Literally. It was a bait and switch. I went online and saw very nice pictures of very nice rooms but upon arrival the rooms had no carpeting and the beds were each in their own tiny rooms with locking doors and a shared bathroom. There was only enough room for a bed and a desk. It was an institutional bed (metal) with a single matress and instead of a boxspring it was a crosshatch metal springs (like you would have on a pull out couch). The floor (industrial tile) was clean but the window frame was filthy with built up dirt and grease. And it smelled like a stale old... well dormitory.

If you go on the site and look at the "two bedroom apartment" you will see the metal bed i'm talking about, but NOTHING else is accurate. No carpet, no clock, no flowers fake or otherwise. The walls were not styled as in the picture; just four flat walls without pictures or decorations. There was only a desk as the furniture under the bed was not there, and furniture that was there was in no way as nice as the photo. The bed was not styled as in the picture. Just a blanket and two flat pillows. There was no livingroom as in the picture. The kitchenette "area" (which was against the wall on one side of a thin hallway between the rooms is also a gross misrepresentation. The bathroom pictures are also not accurate.

The pool, as promised, is not actually a pool but an adjunct of the university pool. Not even in the same building and open to the public. And was also closed when I arrived because, of course, it is a university facility and subject to availability. (And who wants to walk across campus in the winter to go swimming?) Don't advertise an amenity if it doesn't bear exclusive use to your guests. And if you continue to claim it is an amenity, know about it's availability. "I don't know if it's open today. They have crazy hours over there. But I can find out for you." is not exactly what i want to hear in response to "Where are the pool and gym facilities?"

I truly wish I had taken pictures but i just turned heel and left. This was the most unbelieveable experience I have ever had with a "hotel".

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you are paying $260 / night. Those rooms seem to be the ones that have posi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello regina1999

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We were disappointed to learn that the room style that you reserved was not what you were expecting.

The room type that you are describing is not actually part of Hotel Alma, and is one of the Student Accommodations. In the summer we are pleased to offer these Two Bedroom Summer Residence options as an economical option when staying in Calgary. These rooms feature residence-style double beds, and are a popular alternative to the traditional hotel-style accommodation. As you noted the amenities and furniture in this style of room are quite different from those offered in the Hotel Alma portion of the building. Based on your feedback, we have had our Housekeeping team check all of the rooms to ensure that each bedroom does have a clock. Other items, such as hair driers and irons are available upon request.

While Hotel Alma does not have a pool or fitness center within the building, we are pleased that Guests with Hotel Alma and Summer Residence have access to the world class facilities on campus including the Olympic size pool, Olympic oval, and the university fitness centre. All of these facilities are connected to the building through a series of walkways and tunnels. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it is subject to their public schedule, and due to University needs there are times when the pool is unavailable.

It is our hope that you will one day return to Hotel Alma. Should you be looking for Hotel accommodation we recommend that you try either our Euro-Style Room or One Bedroom Suite. Both of these room styles offer pillow top mattresses on a queen or king bed, a kitchenette with a microwave, coffee maker and mini-fridge, desk with ergonomic Zody desk chair, a 32-inch flat screen television and an MP3 clock radio. Also included is complementary continental breakfast at Bistro Alma, Wi-Fi and Ethernet internet access, local and long distance calling within continental North America (excluding Hawaii and Alaska).

Once again we do apologize that your room selection did not exceed your expectations. Should you return to Calgary we hope that you would grant us the opportunity to improve your experience here at Hotel Alma.

Team Alma

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This place is very convenient. I've stayed in single rooms and suites on four different working weeks. Staff are excellent and helpful; breakfast facilities and staff great; rooms, beds and bedding, baths and kitchenettes are easily up to quality hotel. It is very clean, new furnishings. In response to on reviewer, this place isn't designed for kids and families - it's a working hotel for visitors to the university, students, researchers and conference attendees. Access to UCalgary gym, pool and Olympic training facilities is seamless, and to student union restaurants, clubs and fast foods. Reasonably priced groceries in the store in hotel. I'm returning for a fifth visit soon. Only problem is that the train to the city is about a 800 metre walk - a bit much in winter.

Room Tip: Mountain or city views - I prefer the former.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AlmaManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello Alofoz,

We were delighted to read that you have had such a positive experience with Hotel Alma. We are also very happy to hear that you have had an opportunity to experience the wonderful recreation facilities and other amenities on campus. We have shared your praise with our Front Office, Bistro and Housekeeping teams.

To walk from the Hotel to the C-Train, the most direct route is outside, however, you are able to walk almost the entire way across the campus inside the connected University of Calgary buildings. This way you can stay warm longer and it only adds about five minutes extra to the walk. If you ever need directions to travel inside, the Front Desk team will be happy to provide you with a map.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As a frequent stay Guest, we value your patronage, and welcome any further feedback that you can give us. We can’t wait to welcome you back again!

Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week, The hotel is right in the University of Calgary Campus. Its quite a big hotel. The hotel has 7 floors, and the first 4 floors are occupied by students that study at the university of Calgary. We stayed on the 7th floor and we got the suite room. In the suite which is very popular to the guest at Hotel Alma, you would have a one bedroom, and a living room with TV and the sofa can be used as a bed as well. The bistro serves good quality continental breakfast. Its also 10 minute walk from the C-train. They is a pub right on campus too. The parking area on the other hand is a covered building that is walking distance from the hotel, and its $8 per day. I have friends that studied at the University so this hotel was a great choice for me because my friends and i would just meet at the Hotel and we would go to places together.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AlmaManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello ChantelPickett

We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Alma, and that you were able to take advantage of some of the many perks of staying on the University of Calgary campus. Next time you are here, we encourage you to try out the fitness and aquatic facilities!

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We hope that should your travels bring you back to Calgary, we will have the pleasure of hosting you again!

Newark, Nottinghamshire, England
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a very good hotel. I was invited to give a lecture at the University of Calgary and was fortunate enough to stay at Hotel Alma for 3 nights. The hotel is in the heart of the university campus. I had a one-bedroom suite, which was large enough for my needs. It was clean, spacious and comfortable. The bistro served a good quality continental breakfast. The staff were helpful and polite and the service was great. I was not expecting the staff to bend over backwards for me and offer me outstanding customer service. I would definitely recommend this hotel, which just 10 minutes away from downtown Calgary.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor have great views of downtown Calgary and the Rockies.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank Dr Ali M.
Hello Dr. Ali M.

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel Alma. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the University of Calgary, and that Hotel Alma was able to provide you with a clean and comfortable place to relax while giving your lecture. We have passed on your comments to Bistro Alma, as well as with all of our team.

We appreciate the positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Campus in the future!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Such unfriendly staff. I repeatedly asked them for what I thought was basic information (hours of university facilities nearby, location of closest medical clinic) and I literally Googled the info faster than the staffer could find it. No personal touch at all. Every time I walked by the desk and reflexively looked over at the two on-duty staffers, they would be intently staring at their computer screens - no eye contact, no feeling of welcome whatsoever. So many little details are missing: there are no coat hooks in the 1 bedroom suite, for example, so you have to toss your jacket on the couch or hang it in the closet. The heaters are perpetually on. The blinds don't fully block out the morning light. And forget travelling with children. A small, outdated playpen was provided. I don't care if something is old as long as it's safe - but this thing was teeny tiny and our two year old easily scaled it on the first night. I think the kicker for me came on our last day. Our toddler was ill for most of our trip. Checkout was noon, but we needed a place to crash until 4PM. I was told that a supervisor had to approve my staying on for a few extra hours (I would have happily paid a day rate, but no one seemed to know what that was, or what the availability was). Eventually it was offered but I did not take it as I was able to make other plans. Not once did someone say something sympathetic about my sick child, or even pay some pleasant lip service to "doing everything they could" or what have you. "Uh, my supervisor's gonna have to approve that?". Come on. How hard is it to say "how awful. We'll see what we can do for you. Please check back in the morning when we know what our availability for a day rate is." What a dreadful place to stay: the marketing is slick but the attention to detail is hugely lacking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CanadiaK
Hello CanadiaK

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Alma. We are disappointed to hear that you did not experience the level of customer service that Hotel Alma strives for. I am sorry to hear that your child was ill during your stay with us and that our team seemed unsympathetic. We do try to provide each guest with personalized service while they are at Alma and we apologize that our agents were assisting other guests while you were looking for information.

Our One bedroom Suites feature a full closet, equipped with hangers rather than coat hooks, as this allows for more space in the suite. We appreciate your comment regarding the sunlight. While hotel is happy to say that we do have sliding black out blinds in the rooms, they can occasionally let in the morning sun around the edges. We are lucky enough to have rooms facing south and east which can allow guests the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Calgary sunrise; however this can be too bright for some. Should you return to Hotel Alma, we would be more than happy to accommodate a request for a north or west facing room.

We appreciate your comments regarding our playpens. We are currently looking into other options for young children that may better suite their needs. In the meantime, we will ensure that our team is advising Guests that we provide a pack-and-play, and may only be suitable for younger babies.

Please be assured that we have taken all of your comments into consideration to ensure that our guests are receiving outstanding customer service while staying at Alma. We do hope that you will stay with Hotel Alma again, to provide us with an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I arrived at Alma 2013 March for a 10 days training in Calgary. Best features of this hotel is access to many sport activities such as tennis, swimming pool, and many more. Internet is very fast, breakfast are tasty.

Very nice and clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
AlmaManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alma, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hello Man G

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Alma. We are extremely happy to hear that you were able to enjoy some of the wonderful facilities that we have available to our hotel guests.

The University has state of the art fitness facilities which we are happy to have available to our hotel guests.

We hope to see you again soon