“Luxury at its best”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I never take the time to review a hotel so rest assured there is a reason in this case. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, hands down, and we will be back again.

The girlfriend and I decided to drive down to Calgary and spoil ourselves for our birthdays, deciding to go all out rather than fly somewhere and maintain a more strict budget. Hotel Le Germain was #1 on Trip Advisor at the time and this ranking was more than deserved.

Concierge
I had a long correspondence in the weeks leading up to our visit with the Concierge. I spoke with both Amanda Verge and Jill Marven and both were cordial, very prompt in responding, and extremely helpful. I wanted to make our stay special so I requested a few of their Elite Extras and asked for anything else they could help with. They obliged by booking me in a beautiful corner room on the top floor, facing north, providing the best view possible. They also recommended restaurants and gave me their own personal reviews of the establishments I had researched myself. I made numerous changes to my plans and even a couple at the very last minute and they were able to fufill every request I had. Very impressed.

Elite Extras
In-room massage
I paid $250 plus tip for one hour of in-room couples massage. The hotel brings in a third party (Zensation Spa) to do this work and while it wasn't bad, I've certainly had a better massage and it wasn't quite worth the money. The price is high because they do come right to your room but the masseuses were very quiet, almost awkward, and didn't interact with us very much, making us feel somewhat uncomfortable and taking away from the quality of the massage. They also only massaged us for about 45-50 minutes as it took them 10-15 to set up and for us to fill out questionnaires. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the hotel but if you're looking for a massage, I would look elsewhere.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries & White Rose Petals delivered to the room
I paid $5 per strawberry and $40 for the petals. They were delivered as requested, at 11:30 while we were out for dinner and drinks. This was a nice touch and was a great surprise for my girlfriend and the hotel was great about delivering on time and fairly late in the evening.

Room
We paid $250 (an Expedia special rate, normally $309) per night for a Deluxe room. The room was fantastic and I have never enjoyed a hotel room as much as this, top to bottom. Immediately as we walked in, loungey music was playing through the TV, setting the luxurious atmosphere. The hotel uses European style lighting so you insert your room key into a slot as soon as you walk in and the entire room lights up. The decor was very impressive - modern and stylish just the way a high class hotel should be. The room was enormous, plenty of room between the bed and each wall, a large area between the bed and TV with a small couch and coffee table situated here, a small walk-in closet with an electronic safe and space to store your clothes, a large workspace with a hidden, fold-out plug in station for power outlets, access to the TV inputs, and internet connectivity as well. Large nightstands on either side of the bed, a fully stocked minibar (with reasonable prices, for a minibar), espresso machine (although extra charge for espresso), and wine glasses. The bathroom was very impressive with modern style sliding doors, separate toilet area (with a phone in there!), a giant modern basin-style sink, separate make-up area with concentrated lighting and magnifying mirror, a large hidden cabinet with four shelves and another mirror, and all of this with high end decor and TONS of space. The rain shower was also quite impressive, with a smoked out window providing natural light while maintaining privacy. Beautiful tile on the floor. Complimentary toiletries were high quality. Towels were as well, and plentiful. One surprising thing was that the toilet paper wasn't of the greatest quality. Obviously a very small issue, if even an issue, but it was surprising given the fact everything else was of the highest quality.

The Bed
I felt this deserved its own heading as this was, bar none, the BEST bed either of us had ever slept in. California king-sized mattress, we couldn't sprawl out and get in one another's way if we tried. 100% Egyptian cotton felt like silk. The massive pillows were incredibly comfortable. Of the three times we laid down to sleep, we could not remember a single minute in which we laid there awake, instead instantly falling asleep. We had to force ourselves not to oversleep as this bed was simply heaven to sleep in.

Our every need was met with a friendly demeanor and we never felt like we had to go out of our way to ask for something. The servers for the complimentary breakfast were very professional and we felt very special sitting in the lovely Assiniboine room eating in the morning. Housekeeping was particularly impressive as they arranged our own mess (toiletries spread around the bathroom, clothes laid about) for us and went above and beyond what you would normally expect from housekeeping. On one occasion, we were out front waiting for a cab and an employee noticed this, came out, and ran across the street to find us a cab.

Misc
-Breakfast was quite good, with servers constantly rotating in fresh offerings. Great selection of pastries.
-Parking was a bit of a pain as they charge you $6 every time you enter in a new period (6 PM - 5:30 AM, if I remember correctly), and every time you leave and come back. We ended up paying $30 for the two nights' stay, only leaving once.
-Location was perfect, we walked every where we wanted to go downtown and it was only a $7 cab ride to the Calgary Zoo. The Calgary Tower is right across the street.
-One surprising thing was the fact there was no pool.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 11th floor, facing North.
4  Thank ryanm_edmonton
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Germain Calgary

Reviewed 29 May 2011

The hotel has an excellent location in the center of the city and across the street from the Calgary Tower. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Free Internet and a basic breakfast were included. The rooms, however, were a letdown. I spend 30-60 nights a year in hotels in Asia, Europe and North America, and I can’t remember encountering a room in a new high-end hotel that was as poorly designed and executed as this. A couple of examples: my room faced another building, so there was limited natural light. The room’s one window was covered with louvers and there was no blackout curtain. But there was a large mirror that reflects the ambient light leaking through the louvers, just enough to wake you up. There are no floor or ceiling lights in the area immediately inside the door. It took several attempts at successfully operate the shower (a piece of modern bathroom sculpture with a large rain-shower head), and the computer-controlled lighting system is anything but intuitive. The closet area had about 12” of hanger space. And it took me several minutes to realize that the card slot that controls the room’s electricity was hidden in a wall switch. Many of these things wouldn’t be a problem in your home, simply because you would deal with them every day. But for a hotel, where ease-of-use is essential, these were annoying. For the elderly, people with impaired eyesight or infrequent travelers this would be an even bigger issue. It was almost as if the room was the work of an interior designer who had planned homes, but not a hotel room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ChristopherDillon
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I was traveling with my fiance and we wanted to stay in a really nice hotel. We had looked at the Le Germain website and thought it looked amazing. It certainly didn't disappoint. I originally booked a deluxe room, but to our surprise and joy we were told we had been upgraded to the luxury room upon checking in.

The front desk staff were great. Very professional and personable. Once we got to the room our jaws dropped. We walked around looking at all the amazing details of the room. I could go on and on. It has a clean modern look which we both love. All the little details just made the stay so memorable. Espresso, chocolates, bath robes.. the list is long.

The best feature of the luxury room is the soaker tub. One of the coolest features I have ever seen is how the tub fills. From the ceiling!! It scared the heck out of us at first, but just had to laugh at how neat that was. My fiance was in heaven in that bathroom. Pretty much our dream bathroom.

There are a number of great restaurants around the hotel. We decided to have dinner and drinks at Milestones which is less than a block from the main entrance.

If there was any downside to the hotel, its the parking. It is quite expensive, even for the self park. $31 for roughly 16 hours parking. But its downtown, so its to be expected.

I can see why this hotel is ranked #1. Easily beats any other hotel in Calgary. Great place for a relaxing romantic getaway in the city.

2  Thank pretzeldw
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My wife booked us a luxury room as a short getaway for my birthday. When we got there, we were instantly upgraded to a suite - which was simply fabulous!!! The funny thing about it is that she mentioned the fact that we were celebrating a birthday only once - during a phone call when she wanted to verify the booking.

We just loved the room and the hotel! The hotel is ultra-modern, very very clean and the suite was absolutely gorgeous and spatious. You don't need to care about anything, the hotel has it all - nespresso pods, fully loaded mini-bar, bath robes - everything you need for a romantic getaway. There is also free wifi, lots of music channels, and a nice continental breakfast. Oh, and the beds. These were just too comfortable...

3  Thank HairyOrangutan
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed a night for our anniversary. We were in town from Ontario, this was a wonderful stay. The hotel room itself was beautiful, welcoming and very comfortable.The Bed was a dream to sleep in and the soaker tub was amazing to relax in. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for an immaculate, comfortable exquisite hotel stay. The staff were amazing and friendly. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dandralex
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We decided to try out this new hotel as opposed to staying at our usual hotel just to give it a try during our visit with family over Christmas. The rooms were a bit cold looking and very dark but the beds were very comfortable. The staff were wonderful and very helpful. Our biggest disappointment was the music from the loudspeakers in the hallways which apparently is on every floor. You could hear it quite clearly inside our hotel room and it is quite loud. It starts at 7:00 am in the morning and with us on vacation, we were not pleased to be woken up early with it. It is very annoying. We will not be staying again for this reason.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BornToBeRetired
MSchaay1, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Good day, thank you very much for the feedback about our corridor music. I wanted to let you know that based on feedback we have recieved and your comments we have motified the times of the music. You will no longer hear any music in the corridors until at least 9am. We have also adjusted the volume. In the evening time we have the music shut off at a much earlier hour as well. We would really like to have you stay with us again in the future. Please feel free to contact myself directly, mschaay@germaincalgary.com. Thanks again for the feedback. Mark Schaay, Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed 19 April 2011

Amazing hotel. we have stayed at a few different good hotels in Calgary (e.g., Westin) and Le Germain far exceeded any expectations we had. beautiful, classy decor. clean, modern. Can't say enough good things about this hotel. Will definitely go back. Reminded me of the "W" hotel in Manhattan, but much much much bigger rooms! Oh, and the complementary breakfast was fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business