“Absolutely love this hotel”

Hotel Le Germain Calgary
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Canada
“Absolutely love this hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This was my third time staying at Le Germain and absolutely love it!!! I was so dissapointed when the second night of my stay was sold out and I had to move across the street. The beds and pillow are so comfortable and the shower is outstanding. The breakfast is top notch with fresh strawberries, several types of granola, cheeses, breads, pastries as well as hot oatmeal. I always ask for a latte as well. Staff may be youngish but they are as friendly and attentive than any other higher end hotel.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank julie_canada
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Thank you for the great feedback. We really look forward to having you stay with us a 4th time. Mark Schaay, Rooms Division Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We loved the location of the hotel right down town close to all other amenities. The room was prepared for us..they had the baby taken care of with playpens and even a blanket when we checked in. The girls at the front desk were very friendly and professional. We were with 2 little children so were unsure of staying at the hotel, but I must say right down to the valet parking and front desk they acknowledged us coming and going from the hotel. The valet parking was efficient and I must say I was impressed ...we had left our babies blanket in the vehicle..along with an escort and no problems they assisted us to locate..I was impressed! The staff even was calling our children by their first names by the time we left..it felt like we had stayed with family. The breakfast was awesome the only thing I could suggest was perhaps having a few high chairs on hand for those little babies so mom doesn't have to hold them through breakfast. Other than that we were truly pampered and enjoyed our visit and we will definately stay again on our next visit to Calgary..we've already suggested this hotel to a few of our friends.
I almost forgot the best part of the stay was the awesome beds...you just didn't want to get out of them once you were in them...luxurious and comfy!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CMcColl
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We were treated absolutely wonderfully, Gavin, Julien and Adam were excellent helping us with our luggage, and our vehicle whenever we needed it, very friendly staff, the ladies at the front desk were amazing, Yuko, Amanda and Melissa were thoughtful and friendly, made our stay very nice. We would highly recommend this hotel, and will be back to stay again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank daynaw
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The decor in the lobby and the rooms is very modern and chic. I quickly discovered that design is at the expense of comfort and service is non existent. The rooms are small but made to look larger with small furniture - as a six footer, I could not sit at the desk or the arm chair for more than a few minutes without extreme discomfort. The closet design is similarly cramped. Wooden blinds on the windows barely kept out the light from the blazing hotel across the street, windows and doors are not sound proofed and even six floors up, street and hallway noises disturbed all night. Breakfast was very limited in selection and the quality and taste substandard. Check-in and check-out were both clumsily handled by twenty something staff who were more interested in each other than the guests. As a frequent Calgary visitor, I'll be back at my regular haunts here on out. Very disappointing!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank discovermore
Edmonton
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I have travelled extensively, and I was a bit disappointed staying at this one...overall the hotel was okay at best. To start there was very dim lighting from the entrance to the rooms - I felt like I needed my camping head lamp to navigate around. The ceilings seemed low and the decor felt dark and depressive. There were no bed side tables and only miniature side bed lamps. There was also no air conditioning or even good air circulation in the room. The breakfast/lunch room seemed like a small conference room converted into a dining area in which people gathered at long, cafeteria-like high tables with stools which had very little back support. Some good points were that the valet service was fine, the bed was comfortable, and the room was clean.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank apple91
United States
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This was a very nice hotel, probably one of the nicest ones I've stayed. The bathroom was amazing with two large bowl sinks, soaker tub, separate shower (hand held and rainshower) and separate toilet. The toiletries were very all very nice. I love the torquise bath salts! I felt like I was in a day spa. They clean in the morning and have a turn down service at night so I got a few of these bath salts. The last two nights they didn't give me the salts at night :-(

They had two bathrobes but they didn't have slippers. I expected slippers for this hotel. The carpet was commercial black but still notice a stain in the carpet. It is always a good idea to wear slippers just to make sure you don't walk on dirty floors/carpet.

I loved the wood blinds, especially the one that was between the bedroom and bathroom. You can close it if you want privacy while taking a bath. I closed it at night because there's a window in the shower stall and the light shone through if I didn't close the blinds. We were in a corner room, the windows were in the corner. Even with the blinds closed, the light shone through between the slits but it wasn't that bad because we were on a higher floor and above the street lights.

The bed was okay, too soft IMO. There was several small details that I really like: the personalized welcome note, the forecast for the next day card, the service the room/do not disturb switch below the thermostat, the switches to control the light beside the bed, the ice water and glass at night. I'll post pics.

The room was huge and had a seating and lounge area in addition to the corner desk. WIFI was included BTW. Usually we need to pay extra when staying in a hotel. They have this really cool chaise lounge/chair. I only sat there a couple of times but it was very comfortable. The outlets for your phone chargers, iPad, laptop were hidden. The desk doesn't look cluttered at all. There was also an outlet to charge your electronics beside the 'vintage' alarm clock. I always like hotels that have outlets by the night stand because I don't need to get up to charge my electronics :-) The outlet in the bathroom are also hidden behind the cabinet. The folding ironing board and iron were also hidden in the walk in closet cabinet.

The walk in closet was very nice, there was a platform for your luggages and two shelves for your shoes and two drawers for clothes. The safe was on top behind the sliding mirror. There's also an umbrella and a laundry bag to use but if you want to take it home it will cost you $12 for the laundry bag and $32 (I believe) for the umbrella.

The breakfast (which was included) was amazing! The selection isn't that great but the quality was awesome! I normally have the croissant, fresh fruits (cantaloupe, honey dew, pineapple and strawberry in a different bowl) and oatmeal with bran, honey and raisins. But there were cheese, several choices of granola, yogurt, bread, bagels, danish and I can't remember what else. I was greeted nicely everytime I was there and asked for either tea or coffee and they brought it to my table.

Stayed here for five nights, four nights were awesome but the last day/light was terrible. It was a very cold and rainy day and the room was very cold during the day and at night even when I raised the thermostat. That night we called front desk and they had their maintenance person right away. The room actually has it's own furnace, and he was there for about 30 minutes and replaced the thermostat. He said it's fixed and give it a little time to warm up. @ 1:30 am, I had to call the front desk to ask for a space heater. The room even got colder, the heat was not fixed. When they brought up the space heater it was very loud but I was tired and tried out the noise. I didn't sleep very well that night, I was under the blanket including my face to be warm. The alarm clock was also a pain, even when the alarm is OFF, the alarm will go off, I had to unplug the alarm and remove the backup battery. They called to apologize the next day but nothing they can do. And to top it off, valet left the parking lights on and had to wait for the battery to charge.

I would have given this hotel a 5* but this last day was terrible. I will PROBABLY still stay here next time and give them another chance but really left a bitter taste and all the compensation I had was an apology.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Anoini2
Hello Anoini2, thank you for the review. We truly regret that the last night of your stay was not satisfactory. It appears that that you really enjoyed the stay until the last night. We have followed up with our management team to ensure that we rectify issues, such as heat the first time. In regards to the vehicle, we train all our valet staff to inspect the vehicle after it is parked. Sorry, as it seems this was missed on the last night. We would really like to have you stay with us again. I encourage you to contact myself directly to make the next reservation. Please let me know if you have any more feedback and thanks again. Mark Schaay, Rooms Division Manager.
Montreal
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Not very impressed, particularly for the price (close to C$300 per night). "Trendy' room design not very practical; no bedside tables, shower controls need instructions. But, most displeasing, the noise (dishes being moved, doors opened and closed, voices heard) from a meeting room being set up down the hall at 6am. For this kind of money, I expect more.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank DavidMontreal
MSchaay1, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Calgary, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Hello, thank you for the feedback. We wanted to let you know that we have learned from your experience at our hotel and we no longer set up meeting space the morning of an event. We will always ensure that the actual set up is completed the night before at a resonable hour. We hope that you will stay with us again. Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact myself directly if you have any further feedback or questions. Mark Schaay, Rooms Division Manager.